Another letter [help]

  • clairvoyant316
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
      I got another letter from SIQ New York. Here goes:
      Nous constatons cependant que nous ne disposons pas du (des) document
      (s) suivant(s):

      •Copie de votre permis de travail (visa) pour votre
      experience de travail chez Maxus Energy Corp.
      •Lettre de votre employeur actuel, l'Universite du Texas,
      mentionnant la duree de votre emploi et le nombre d'heures
      travaillees par semaine.

      Ce(s) document(s) nous est (sont) indispensable(s) pour poursuivre
      l'etude de votre demande d'immigration au Quebec. Nous vous
      demandons de nous le(s) faire parvenir dans les quatre-vingt-dix
      (90) jours suivant la reception de cette lettre, a l'adresse
      indiquee ci-dessous.

      If I am not mistaken by the translation, they want:
      Copy of my work permit (visa) for my working at Maxus Energy Corp.
      Letter of my current employer, the University of Texas, mentioning
      the duration of my employment and the number of hours worked per
      week.
      Also, they want those letters sent within 90 days.
      Am I correct? Anyone?
      Here are my questions:
      I work for Maxus from 05/2000 to 09/2001.
      Before getting my green card in the states, I was here on I-688B
      work visa from 04/1998 to 05/2002. I renewed my work permit three
      times 04/1999,04/2000, and 04/2001.
      Before 2001, my I-688B was stamped on my passport; however, my last
      work permit was in a form of card.
      I renewed my passport in October 2000. My
      consulate/embassy/government holds my old passport once I receive my
      new passport [a strange regulation].
      I can make a copy of my I-688B visa from 04/2001-04/2002 and send it
      to SIQ New York. However, I couldn't show all prior I-688B visas
      because they were stamped on my old passport. How do I explain my
      situation?

      I have a good relationship with my boss but I feel ackward dictating
      my boss what to say on the reference letter.
      I mean a reference letter is supposed to be whatever a boss wants to
      say, isn't it?

      Thank You guys/gals.....
    • Max Pilipis
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
        Hey clairvoyant,

        I didn't get this letter, but I have a similar situation.

        I got in the country to study with an F1 visa. After I graduated, I got an H1B which is still what I'm on, but was NEVER stamped on my passport, since I never left the country.

        I guess, If I were you, I'll send the letter from the INS saying that you have been granted a visa with that company, etc... etc...

        The letter from your current employer was a requirement from the get go, wasn't it?

        Thanks,
        Max

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
          I had such a wonderful experience with BCIS (formerly known as INS).
          They mispelled my last name and sent my greencard to a wrong address.
          It took me four months to inquire and took me another six months to
          correct my name and address. Dealing with BCIS is such a hassle
          nowadays but I'll try.
          I may just send the copy of my work visa and explain the situation.

          I sent the reference letter with my ACS. My boss only wrote my
          position, my duties, and my salary.
          He even sealed the envelope.

          --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Max Pilipis <maxez@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hey clairvoyant,
          > I didn't get this letter, but I have a similar situation.
          > I got in the country to study with an F1 visa. After I graduated, I
          >got an H1B which is still what I'm on, but was NEVER stamped on my
          >passport, since I never left the country.
          > I guess, If I were you, I'll send the letter from the INS saying
          >that you have been granted a visa with that company, etc... etc...
          > The letter from your current employer was a requirement from the
          >get go, wasn't it?
          > Thanks,
          > Max
        • Max Pilipis
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
            Why do you think I'm applying for a GC in Canada??  I got tired trying to get a GC here, even with sponsorship from my company, having kids born here, etc... the INS is JUST IMPOSSIBLE.

            BTW, did you know is the least paid job when working for the federal government?... you put 2 and 2 together, no wonder they misspelled your name

            wrote:
            > Hey clairvoyant,
            > I didn't get this letter, but I have a similar situation.
            > I got in the country to study with an F1 visa. After I graduated, I
            >got an H1B which is still what I'm on, but was NEVER stamped on my
            >passport, since I never left the country.
            > I guess, If I were you, I'll send the letter from the INS saying
            >that you have been granted a visa with that company, etc... etc...
            > The letter from your current employer was a requirement from the
            >get go, wasn't it?
            > Thanks,
            > Max

          • Wesley Cannon
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
              I have a question.  Several of you have said that when you call the NY office you are able to actually speak with someone.  Whenever I call, I always get that voicemail.  Am I calling the right number?  What number are you all calling?

              Thanks in advance.

              Wes

              wrote:
              > Hey clairvoyant,
              > I didn't get this letter, but I have a similar situation.
              > I got in the country to study with an F1 visa. After I graduated, I
              >got an H1B which is still what I'm on, but was NEVER stamped on my
              >passport, since I never left the country.
              > I guess, If I were you, I'll send the letter from the INS saying
              >that you have been granted a visa with that company, etc... etc...
              > The letter from your current employer was a requirement from the
              >get go, wasn't it?
              > Thanks,
              > Max

            • nvishwesh
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                Clairvoyant,

                If you have a US GC as you mentioned, why are you interested at all
                in 'French Speaking' Quebec of all the places and not the anglais
                speaking Canada? Better yet, why do you even want the Canadian GC at
                all?? I am assuming you have no ties or family in Quebec....

                --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "clairvoyant316"
                <aryobw@u...> wrote:
                > I had such a wonderful experience with BCIS (formerly known as INS).
                > They mispelled my last name and sent my greencard to a wrong
                address.
                > It took me four months to inquire and took me another six months to
                > correct my name and address. Dealing with BCIS is such a hassle
                > nowadays but I'll try.
                > I may just send the copy of my work visa and explain the situation.
                >
                > I sent the reference letter with my ACS. My boss only wrote my
                > position, my duties, and my salary.
                > He even sealed the envelope.
                >
                > --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Max Pilipis <maxez@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > Hey clairvoyant,
                > > I didn't get this letter, but I have a similar situation.
                > > I got in the country to study with an F1 visa. After I graduated,
                > >got an H1B which is still what I'm on, but was NEVER stamped on my
                > >passport, since I never left the country.
                > > I guess, If I were you, I'll send the letter from the INS saying
                > >that you have been granted a visa with that company, etc... etc...
                > > The letter from your current employer was a requirement from the
                > >get go, wasn't it?
                > > Thanks,
                > > Max
              • Karen

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                    It started on 09/11/2001. I have been "the usual suspect"of
                    narrow minded Americans (sadly make up of 73% of the population). On
                    09/13/2001, someone sprayed paint my car "Go home, savage." I
                    sometime wonder if one day the USDOJ [with the blessing of Mr. GWB]
                    will ship my rear end to some sort of labour camp.

                    Statistically, it took me 4 minutes to clear Canadian/Quebec customs
                    at Dorval Airport as a visitor. On the other hand, I always get
                    hassled on my way back to the US as a green card holder. The infamous
                    profiling question they would ask "Are you Moslem???"
                    Although I am a Christian, the question is still very highly
                    prejudiced.I don't blame them when we have to deal with National
                    Security but it is a wake up call that I am not welcomed anymore and
                    it's time to move on.

                    I visited Montreal and Gatineau areas frequently for business trips
                    back when I worked for Maxus (Halliburton and Enron subsidiary). I
                    don't have any family or ties to Quebec but I like the area and
                    people in general.
                    Based on my experience, people in Quebec are very nice and friendly.
                    I went on vacation last Christmas/New Year in Montreal and I enjoyed
                    it.
                    Unlike the rest of Canada, many parts of Quebec haven't been
                    Americanized/capitalized that much. No offense to Americans here.
                    IT jobs may be hard to find in Quebec but I have several contract
                    consulting jobs in the states so I am not very concerned about
                    finding a job there.

                    --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "nvishwesh"
                    <nvishwesh@y...> wrote:
                    > Clairvoyant,
                    >
                    > If you have a US GC as you mentioned, why are you interested at all
                    > in 'French Speaking' Quebec of all the places and not the anglais
                    > speaking Canada? Better yet, why do you even want the Canadian GC
                    >at all?? I am assuming you have no ties or family in Quebec....
                  • Eugen Caruntu
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                      HOW LONG WILL TAKE for Canadian Security Intelligence
                      Service (CSIS)to
                      conduct National Security Check?

                      FROM WHERE WILL THEY TAKE INFORMATION? (from aplicant
                      previous
                      contries of residence, or from international
                      information agencies -
                      interpol....)

                      Be aware that the police certificates are not the same
                      as this
                      National Security Check

                      1. What is a Background Check?

                      Background check includes criminal (Police Clearance)
                      and security
                      (National Security) checks.

                      2. What is a Police Clearance?

                      All adult applicants for immigration to Canada and ALL
                      their
                      dependents, whether accompanying or not, are required
                      to contact the
                      police or relevant authority of each country where
                      they have lived for
                      six months or longer in the last ten years and obtain
                      the necessary
                      police certificate or clearance stating that they do
                      not have criminal
                      convictions.

                      3 What is a National Security Check?

                      A National Security check procedures identify persons
                      seeking
                      admission who are, or have been, involved in
                      espionage, subversion, or
                      terrorism.

                      The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS)
                      conducts a security
                      check on all applicants ten years of age and older.
                      Security screening
                      procedures identify persons seeking admission who are,
                      or have been,
                      involved in espionage, subversion, or terrorism. CSIS
                      may require an
                      applicant to attend a security interview. Although
                      applicants from
                      certain nationalities will have a greater likelihood
                      of undergoing
                      security checks, information regarding the policies
                      prompting security
                      checks is "classified information" and not available
                      to the general
                      public.

                      from http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/eng/operat/ss_e.html

                      In 2000-2001, the Service processed 69,387 requests
                      under the
                      Immigration Screening program (44,278 from within
                      Canada and 25,109
                      from outside of Canada). The median turnaround time
                      was 66 days for
                      requests from within Canada. In addition, 161,895
                      citizenship
                      application requests were processed in 2000-2001.

                    • Max Pilipis
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                        I hear you.... I'm not arab, I'm from South America, and latelly, I have found myself not welcome a lot of times too.

                        No offense to americans. I mean, I have tons of friends here, but the atmosphere for immigrants is getting really rare...

                        The other thing is this ignorant/stupid notion that H1B holders are stealing jobs from americans.... do these people have any idea how many jobs per year are shipped to India, ireland, etc... by "American" Senior Management?

                        Anyways, this is a forum to talk immigration to Quebec, sorry about this short lapsus...

                        CLARIVOYANT: If we both get the GC to quebec, we can get together for a beer there, we might even do something together on the IT field. :)

                        Thanks,
                        Max

                        Do people have any idea

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                            I am a gay American male and my partner is Yugoslavian.  He and I have spent many sleepless nights worrying about whether he would be deported thanks to the lovely economic state our highly intelligent (haha!) president has put us in.  I have always wanted to live in a different country, although I love my home country very much.  Sadly, it is true, the US is changing, and not for the better.  I have studied French for over 8 years and love the francophone culture.  My partner and I made a decision to immigrate to Quebec so that we could live (and marry) with some peace of mind and not worry whether he would be deported once he lost his job.  The immigration process in this country needs a lot of renovation.  That is our story.  So, don't be so shocked when someone wants to go the Quebec to start a life.

                            Wes

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                              You know, the other day I was talking to this gay american guy friend of mine, and I was telling him that I'll be goddamn pissed at my government If I were one.

                              I mean, your tax dollars are as good as those from heterosexual people, so curious George can continue to build weapons of world domination .

                              Anyways, it is sadly true that this country has changed a lot, and not for good. The other day, this friend of mine, (who's not from a minority group like us, he's a WASP christian doctor with a VP title in a big hospital conglomerate), was telling me that was ashamed as how he has been treated on the customs when he got back from italy, and how Bush and the rest of the mob was behaving internationally.

                              Anyways, It is not my intention to start an american bashing contest, nor a political discussion, but let us hope that the next president is a democrat one

                              Max

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 4, 2003
                                If you'll read this you will see that CSIS don't check
                                with other countries for backround checks, only if
                                they obtain themselves the clearence from specific
                                countries from which they advise you not to obtain PCC
                                (for Buffalo this countries are: irak, India... read
                                below)

                                So CSIS will searc in generaly only if your name
                                apear in their database as a terrorist or a spion
                                (espionage)

                                If yoyr contry is one of those who is in a "black
                                list" then they will check deeper... contacting that
                                country
                                :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                                Security (Police and Background) Clearance

                                Each applicant for a Canadian Immigrant Visa, aged 18
                                or over, is required to prove that he or she has no
                                criminal record. Police clearance certificates or
                                certificates of non-criminal activity, as they are
                                sometimes referred to, must be obtained from the
                                country of current residence and from each country in
                                which the applicant has resided for more than 6 months
                                since his or her 18th birthday. Police clearance
                                certificates are considered valid for a period of 6
                                months and they usually can be obtained through law
                                enforcement offices or other government agencies. In
                                extenuating circumstances Canadian visa offices will
                                waive the requirement to submit police clearance
                                certificates.

                                All potential immigrants to Canada must also undergo a
                                background clearance to weed out those who have been
                                or are involved in espionage, subversion or terrorism.
                                This is to ensure that the safety and order of
                                Canadian society are maintained and protected. Such
                                security screening decisions are made based on
                                information from every available source, which is then
                                carefully weighed to determine whether an applicant is
                                likely to threaten the internal security of Canada.
                                When there is an indication of security concerns an
                                interview will be scheduled to discuss these findings
                                with the applicant. Anyone who poses such a threat
                                must necessarily be prevented from entering Canada.

                                Please note that there is a clear distinction between
                                the police clearance certificate, which the applicant
                                is required to obtain, and the background clearance,
                                in which the applicant for the most part is not
                                actively involved

                                from: http://canadavisa.com/documents/sec_buf.htm

                                The following information is quoted from the
                                application kit issued by the Buffalo Immigration
                                Regional Programme Centre (RPC). This information does
                                not necessarily apply to applications processed at
                                other Canadian visa offices.

                                Buffalo RPC recognizes that persons WHO ARE NOT
                                RESIDENT in the following countries will not be able
                                to obtain police certificates:

                                Albania, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Comoros, Czech Rep.,
                                Ethiopia, Kuwait, Morocco, Paraguay, Surinam, United
                                Arab Emirates, Yemen.

                                Do not attempt to obtain police certificates from the
                                following countries. Buffalo RPC will inquire on your
                                behalf:

                                Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso,
                                Burundi, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad,
                                Congo, Cuba, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guam,
                                Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Haiti, India, Iraq, Ivory
                                Coast, Kampuchea, Korea (South), Laos, Liberia, Mali,
                                Mauritania, Mexico, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, New
                                Zealand, Niger, Northern Ireland, Pakistan, Rwanda,
                                Sao Tome E Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra
                                Leone, Somali, Sudan, Togo, Venezuela, Zaire.

                                :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
                                from:
                                http://www.sirc-csars.gc.ca/annual/2002-2003/sec2c_e.html

                                Nature of CSIS Advice to CIC
                                The Service's security screening assessments are
                                provided as advice to CIC in one of four forms:

                                No Reportable Trace (NRT)-a report given to CIC when
                                the Service has no adverse information on the
                                immigration applicant.

                                Inadmissible Brief-advice provided when the Service
                                has concluded, based on information available to it,
                                that the applicant meets the criteria outlined in the
                                security provisions of the Immigration and Refugee
                                Protection Act.

                                Information Brief-advice provided by CSIS that it has
                                information that the applicant is or was involved in
                                activities as described in the security provisions of
                                the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, but that
                                it is of the opinion that the applicant does not fall
                                into the class of persons deemed to be inadmissible
                                under the Act.

                                Incidental Letter-provided to CIC when the Service has
                                information that the applicant is or was involved in
                                non-security-related activities described in the
                                Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (for example,
                                war crimes or organized criminal activity) or any
                                other matter of relevance to the performance of duty
                                by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, as set
                                out in section 14( b) of the CSIS Act.

                                Immigration Security Screening Programs
                                Under the authority of sections 14 and 15 of the CSIS
                                Act, the Service conducts security screening
                                investigations and provides advice to the Minister of
                                Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Generally
                                speaking, the Service's assistance takes the form of
                                information-sharing on matters concerning threats to
                                the security of Canada as defined in section 2 of the
                                CSIS Act and the form of "assessments" with respect to
                                the inadmissibility classes of the Immigration and
                                Refugee Protection Act.

                                Immigration requests for security screening resulted
                                in 445 briefs from CSIS to CIC-242 information briefs
                                and 203 inadmissible briefs. Of those requests, the
                                median time required for a "no reportable trace" (NRT)
                                was 57 days, for an information brief 400 days and for
                                an inadmissible brief 461 days. For the year previous,
                                the median figures were 55 days, 401 days and 498
                                days, respectively.

                                Unlike previous years, the Service reported on
                                citizenship applications as a separate category. An
                                information brief with respect to a citizenship
                                application took a median time of 129 days.

                                During fiscal year 2002-2003, the Service provided 87
                                update letters (updates to briefs) and 22 incidental
                                letters to CIC.

                                Applications for Permanent Residence from Within
                                Canada
                                The Service has the sole responsibility for screening
                                immigrants and refugees who apply for permanent
                                residence status from within Canada. In 2002-2003 the
                                Service received 33, 837 such screening requests. Of
                                these requests, 21, 950 were immigration applications
                                and 11, 887 came through the Refugee Determination
                                Program.

                                According to the statistical information provided by
                                the Service, the time required for the Service to
                                issue a recommendation on an immigration application
                                varies considerably depending on how the application
                                was filed. Those applications filed using the
                                Electronic Data Exchange from within Canada took a
                                median of 45 days, and electronic filings within the
                                Refugee Determination Program took 55 days. For those
                                applications filed on paper, the median turnaround
                                time for immigration applications from within Canada
                                was 70 days; for applications from the U. S. it was
                                150 days, and for paper applications from within the
                                Refugee Determination program 94 days.

                                Application for Permanent Residence from Outside
                                Canada
                                Immigration and refugee applications for permanent
                                residence that originate outside Canada or the United
                                States are managed by the Overseas Immigrant Screening
                                Program under which the Service shares responsibility
                                for security screening with CIC officials based
                                abroad. Generally, CSIS only becomes involved in the
                                screening process either upon being requested to do so
                                by the Immigration Program Manager or upon receiving
                                adverse information about a case from established
                                sources. CSIS reports that this division of labour
                                allows the Service to concentrate on higher-risk
                                cases.

                                In 2002-2003, the Service received 23, 691 requests to
                                screen refugee and immigration applications initiated
                                outside Canada. Of these, CSIS reported that 6776 were
                                referred to Security Liaison Officers (SLOs) for
                                consultation, marginally fewer than the year previous.

                                http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree