Looking for information on Temporary Residency?

  • Mariza Espino
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hello,

      I'd like information on temporary residency, if anyone has any. I
      need to know exactly what it is, what limitations it has, what it
      costs, and how much time does it take to get. I am a senior
      interface designer (U.S. Citizen) that is looking to work for
      several employers in Montreal on a contractural basis (like self-
      employed type of work) for about a year or so.

      Can anyone offer information on these?

      - Mariza Espino
    • Ravi Rao
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
        What exactly do you mean by "temporary residency" ? If you mean the english
        meaning of it, well, the only way (as I see it) is if you get work permits.
        If you mean the C&IC definition (with legalese), you have to meet the
        requirements -- you have to prove there is sufficient need for you to
        physically be present in Canada but there is no possibly way of admitting
        you. e.g. If you are refugee-like and your home country is in war, etc. or
        you are being persecuted etc. I don't think you stand a chance as a US
        Citizen.

        If you are a foreigner and want to work, you have to get work permits.

        --ravi.

        * Mariza Espino [Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 04:18:11AM -0000]:

        --
        Universities are places of knowledge. The freshman each bring a little
        in with them, and the seniors take none away, so knowledge accumulates.