Re: [immigrationquebec] Got it!! Yehey!!

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31, 2004
      Hi Max!

      Thanks :)

      Thats right, I'm on H1b here in US. But I plan to quit my job and move to Montreal by the end of this year, few weeks prior to christmas. Leaving good job is not an easy decision, but the thing is I have made that decision by time I applied for Canadian immigration :)

      And yes, I'll rent a Uhaul to drive my belonging up to city. Since its just 300 miles of driving, I find it easier to take everything than sell it here and purchase everything up there again.

      Karen

      Max Pilipis <maxpilipis@...> wrote:
      Hey Karen!!

      CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! Well done!!

      If you don't mind me asking, when do you plan to finally go to montreal?
      As I understand it, you are here on an H1B and you have a job. Do you plan
      to quit immediatelly and move?? do you plan to wait out a bit longer?? Are
      you planning to rent a UHaul and drive up there??

      Please don't think I'm meddleing or something... I'm just curious because
      I will have to go the same route once I get my papers! It will be
      interesting if between all of us living in the US of A can come up with
      tips and usefull information.

      Thanks a lot
      Max

      > Hello everybody!!
      >
      >    Finally, I got my passport today with immigrant visa stamped in it!!!
      > Such a relief!! :)
      >
      > I got the passport request on May 8-th, sent the passport following
      > monday, and a little more than two weeks later I got the passport with
      > visa back together with COPR document. I sent it with USPS Express Mail in
      > both directions (had prepaid envelope included in package).
      >
      > Wonderful thing is that entire process took less than a year! This was a
      > major effort, and I'm glad I've done it.
      >
      > I have updated my timelines in database.
      >
      > Alright, guys and girls, I wish to everyone expecting next step a soon
      > response from immigration, and good luck!
      >

      > Karen

    • Max Pilipis
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hey Karen,

        I understand you completely. Leaving a good job, specially with the
        scarcity of IT jobs out there is not an easy decision. I guess I will be
        doing the same once I get my PR (drive a UHAUL), although with a wife and
        two kids, I'm sure I'll have a lot more stuff to haul than you :) so I
        might be selling/getting rid of some of the stuff here. I'm in Mass, so to
        Montreal is only a 6 hours drive.

        I still haven't applied for PR with the federal government. I guess I will
        be sending my app this month, otherwise my argentinean PC clearance will
        expire. I've had some issues related to my son's therapy that are making
        my moving to Quebec very hard and distant. On top of this, I got approval
        from the DOL for my greencard here and a promotion, so in all honesty I
        don't know what the heck to do. If it was only myself, I would not think
        it twice. I love the Quebecois society and culture, but I have to think in
        the welfare of the rest of the familly too, so I'm kind of bummed and not
        knowing what to do right now :(.

        Anyways, read you guys later!

        Max

        > Hi Max!
        >
        > Thanks :)
        >
        > Thats right, I'm on H1b here in US. But I plan to quit my job and move to
        > Montreal by the end of this year, few weeks prior to christmas. Leaving
        > good job is not an easy decision, but the thing is I have made that
        > decision by time I applied for Canadian immigration :)
        >
        > And yes, I'll rent a Uhaul to drive my belonging up to city. Since its
        > just 300 miles of driving, I find it easier to take everything than sell
        > it here and purchase everything up there again.
        >
        > Karen
        >
        > Max Pilipis <maxpilipis@...> wrote:
        > Hey Karen!!
        >
        > CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! Well done!!
        >
        > If you don't mind me asking, when do you plan to finally go to montreal?
        > As I understand it, you are here on an H1B and you have a job. Do you plan
        > to quit immediatelly and move?? do you plan to wait out a bit longer?? Are
        > you planning to rent a UHaul and drive up there??
        >
        > Please don't think I'm meddleing or something... I'm just curious because
        > I will have to go the same route once I get my papers! It will be
        > interesting if between all of us living in the US of A can come up with
        > tips and usefull information.
        >
        > Thanks a lot
        > Max
        >

        >> Hello everybody!!
        >>
        >> Finally, I got my passport today with immigrant visa stamped in it!!!
        >> Such a relief!! :)
        >>
        >> I got the passport request on May 8-th, sent the passport following
        >> monday, and a little more than two weeks later I got the passport with
        >> visa back together with COPR document. I sent it with USPS Express Mail
        >> in
        >> both directions (had prepaid envelope included in package).
        >>
        >> Wonderful thing is that entire process took less than a year! This was a
        >> major effort, and I'm glad I've done it.
        >>
        >> I have updated my timelines in database.
        >>
        >> Alright, guys and girls, I wish to everyone expecting next step a soon
        >> response from immigration, and good luck!
        >>

        >> Karen

        >> Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Rich
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 2, 2004
          Hey Max,

          You seem torn friend between which way to go....let me try and help
          you see the way a bit..

          1. It is clear that leaving your job here is not going to be easy
          since you are earning good money (esp. now with the promotion) and
          also your concerns that you may not find a comparable position in
          Quebec.

          2.Second, you mentioned a while back that you owned a home...so of
          course, it is going to be doubly difficult to give that up and move
          to Quebec esp with family.

          3. Most important, however, is your son's therapy. That will
          definitely take priority over the above points.

          So...here is my 2-cent. You mentioned that you got approval from DOL
          for US GC..what do you mean by that? Did you get labor done? Have
          you filed for 2nd and 3rd stage?

          I would strongly urge you not to fall for the lure of the US GC
          friend...sure..go ahead and apply and do whatever you need to do for
          US GC..but give top priority to your Canadian GC...you should not
          wait or waste any more time...just remember your root motivations
          for applying to Quebec CSQ...

          Let me be perfectly blunt if you do not mind....are you having
          second thoughts about the whole Quebec thing considering that you
          see some progress in your US GC, that you got a job promotion and
          also that you think you are settled in US? Are you getting pressure
          from your family not to give up and go all the way to QC?

          Rich

          --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Max Pilipis"
          <maxpilipis@t...> wrote:
> [...]
          in it!!!
          > >> Such a relief!! :)
          > >>
          > >> I got the passport request on May 8-th, sent the passport
          following
          > >> monday, and a little more than two weeks later I got the
          passport with
          > >> visa back together with COPR document. I sent it with USPS
          Express Mail
          > >> in
          > >> both directions (had prepaid envelope included in package).
          > >>
          > >> Wonderful thing is that entire process took less than a year!
          This was a
          > >> major effort, and I'm glad I've done it.
          > >>
          > >> I have updated my timelines in database.
          > >>
          > >> Alright, guys and girls, I wish to everyone expecting next step
          a soon
          > >> response from immigration, and good luck!
          > >>

          > >> Karen

          > >> Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger

          Service.

          > > Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger
        • amithnikam
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 2, 2004
            Hi Max,

            I agree with Rich. Don't count on the US GC. Always have an exit
            strategy... a backup plan.

            My 2 cents... you can go ahead and apply for the 2nd and 3rd stages
            concurrently. Meanwhile, get your Canadian PR approved and get it
            stamped in your passports. You then have a few months during which
            you can land, get your PR card mailed (perhaps to a friend in Quebec)
            and come back to US. That way your US GC will be in process and you
            have the Canadian PR.

            I remember a few months back there was lot of discussion about people
            using Quebec/Canada as purely a backup option. This is not what I am
            recommending or plan to do myself. I think your situation warrants a
            strategy that makes use of the best of both the worlds.

            Nick

            --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <umkumiut00@y...>

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2004
              Hi Max,

                  Of course its a personal question of choice, where to settle finally, Quebec or US.. But from all my visits to Quebec I came to conclusion that the quality of life province is not in any way worse than for example in state of Massachusetts. By the way, I currently live in Boston, so we're somewhat neighbors :)   Probably finding new job in IT field is not that easy over there as in US, but for example I know that government of province assists in creating new businesses in technological areas, so thats one of good benefits.

                  Regarding, having canada PR and US GC in progress simultaneously could bring to issues. I know for sure that in case if one is in process of adjustment of status for US GC and he accepts permanent residence in other country, his US GC is cancelled. While canadian immigration does not care much about that except of 2/5 years rule, US immigration gets really pissed off when they find out anything about "double-dipping" (term used by US imm officer to one of my friends who had such situation). So you should carefully assess your plans on that.
                  In any case, I hope you'll make the most beneficial decision for yourself and your family!

[...]

            • G A
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2004
                Hi Karen,

                I do not know what you are talking about but I talked to a lawyer and he said that taking a PR of Canada has no effect(positive or negative) on you applying /processing of green card in US. They are completely different process.

                -GA

                Karen <karen_tgha@...> wrote:
[...]

              • Maximiliano Pilipis
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2004
                  Hello friends,

                  First of, thank you very much Rich, Karen, Nick et al for your
                  opinions, ideas and words. They mean a lot to me. Rich, to answer to
                  some of your questions, there is a little bit about everything. Since
                  the beginning, both my wife and I liked the idea of moving to Quebec,
                  with me (all things being equal) favoring to move to Quebec, and my
                  wife more inclined to remain here if possible, and don't get me wrong,
                  her reasons are very understandable: we own a home, cars, belongings, I
                  have a job. My older kid, who's almost 6, has been born here, and went
                  through a great deal of speech therapy to start speaking properly.
                  Although he's young and kids adapt very easily, he's already on school,
                  has friends, speaks english only, etc... etc... as for the young one,
                  he's autistic, and starting a one and a half year of therapy that is
                  very important at this early stage of his life. She feels that moving,
                  and starting ALL over again is a lot, and frankly it is!

                  Now I'm much more adventurous (and kind of reckless if you will) and I
                  love the idea of starting out a life in a society like the one in
                  Quebec. But also understand the points my more-down-to-earth wife
                  makes.

                  There is something that attracts me A LOT about Quebec that Karen
                  briefly mentioned: at this point on my career, I feel very compelled to
                  start my own business, and that would be MUCH easier on Canada than
                  here (for example, if I even think of quitting my day job here and
                  start a business, I gotta think how to pay u$s 1000 a month on health
                  insurance alone for my family). Also the people, the culture, the
                  ambiance to raise a family, and other issues.

                  Quebec wasn't really never a backup plan, I genuinely wanted (and still
                  want) to live there. In fact, I'm still going to french classes 2 times
                  a week, monitoring the IT market condition, etc... etc... BUT life
                  happens. At the time I took the decision, I didn't know my kid had this
                  problem, and I was almost sure I wasn't going to get labor approval.
                  One thing that remains intact is my disappointment with the current
                  social/political atmosphere on this country.

                  By the way Rich, yes, I meant labor approval, and my company is
                  doing/paying for all the US GC process. My lawyer already filed all the
                  paperwork for the 3rd and 4th stages (funny enough, the thing he mailed
                  was about 500 pages..... that goes to show how immigration friendly the
                  US currently is :) He told me that this next stage used to take about 6
                  months, but because of 9/11 and bush shifting people from processing to
                  enforcement, now takes about two more years (the labor part took a
                  little bit less than a year).

                  Anyhow, I'll be going forward with the Canadian stuff without a doubt.
                  I will file, do medical, etc.... and land as suggested by nick. I'll
                  have my PR card mailed to the only friend I have (or will have by that
                  time) on Quebec: Rich :)

                  Bye and thank you!!
                  Max

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 2, 2004
                    Max,

                    I understand your situation. You have to decide the course of action.

                    As good buddies, we are recommending that you stay the Quebec course
                    cos remember one thing....US GC processing is not to be totally
                    trusted. It is completely dependant on your job status and god forbid
                    if something should happen to your job...your US GC is also directly
                    affected.

                    Good luck and godspeed.

                    Rich

                    --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Maximiliano Pilipis

                  • Karen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 3, 2004
                      Hi GA,

                      You are right, Canada PR and US GC are completely different processes. But they have commonality in their goals of intending to establish permanent residence in both countries. Conducting both of them in parallel means haveing intention to drop one of them at some point. Immigration systems of both countries do not like that situation much.    Canadian imm authorities have a simple rule to be guided by, which is 2/5 years rule (2 years out of 5 must be lived in Canada to retain PR status).  With US immigration its somewhat different. Throughout all process of obtaining and being PR they want to see clear intent of establishing PR in country. When they see that intent is not that, they can stop the process or even revoke the permanent residence.
                          Obtaining Canadian PR and then starting US immigration is not considered a complicated issue. My friend though had some problems in that situation. When US imm officer on the border noticed that he had Canadian PR when he started adjusting status to US PR, officer immediately notified canadian imm authorities of that. Next time when my friend visited Canada, canadian imm officer asked some questions about this, but then told that as long as 2/5 is maintained, he had no problem.
                         Starting adjustment of status for US or having US GC and then obtaining canadian PR is a problem. If US imm authorities find out that events happened in this sequence, they see an intent of abandoning US immigration. Imm officers on border can get quite aggravated by this and problems can appear at time of entrance into country. This sort of situation could be hard to resolve.
                         You can search for related discussions in misc.imigration.canada on google, or in britishExpats something like "US greencard and canadian PR". This topic has been discussed quite actively.

                      Karen

                      G A <aguf2001@...> wrote:
                      Hi Karen,

                      I do not know what you are talking about but I talked to a lawyer and he said that taking a PR of Canada has no effect(positive or negative) on you applying /processing of green card in US. They are completely different process.

                      -GA

                    • evelynne_r
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 5, 2004
                        Hi Max,

                        Just been reading your messages and have every sympathy with you.
                        I'm in a similar situation myself here in NZ - at the final stage
                        before getting NZ PR - and a couple of weeks ago I received my CSQ!!

                        Unlike you, it is only myself I have to consider, but it's not an
                        easy decision, is it? I like NZ, and have a secure job, recent
                        promotion, money, friends etc, but I still really love the thought of
                        Quebec. The last two years since I left my home country of the UK,
                        I've been in limbo, and, frankly, the thought of leaving the security
                        I've worked so hard to establish again here in NZ scares the living
                        daylights out of me!!

                        I've never been to Quebec, so it's difficult to judge whether I'd be
                        happier there or here.

                        Anyway, let us know what you decide to do.

                        Cheers,

                        Evelynne
                      • Maximiliano Pilipis
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 6, 2004
                          Hi Evelynne,

                          Thank you for your words!! It IS a difficult decision. We humans are
                          animals that get used to a lot of things :) and resist change
                          naturally. If to that you add other valid reasons to resist change,
                          well, the conflicts start.

                          I have been to Quebec (Quebec City, Montreal, and Gatineau). For the
                          most part, I really loved it. It is in most ways very similar (as for
                          infrastructure and amenities) to the US, but that's where the
                          similarity ends. The culture is awesome and the people too. It is a
                          really nice place to live. But then again so it is NZ for what I've
                          heard.

                          I'm currently reading "Downsize This" from Michael More, and he has a
                          pretty accurate definition of Canada that says something like this:
                          "[Canada] has the same amenities than the US, without the 60,000
                          homicides a year and the stupidity, plus free health care". This is an
                          american mind you (although a lot of americans wish he wasn't :). I
                          recommend anybody leaving on this country to read that book. Specially
                          the part on immigrants by the way.

                          The other thing is that here on the US, I will ALWAYS be an eternal
                          immigrant, no mater if I get my GC, citizenship or whatever. I'll
                          always be the outsider, the guy with the accent. In part because
                          unfortunately new generation of americans somehow forgot that they
                          grandfathers and such were immigrants. Canada (and NZ) DEPEND on
                          immigrants, and is full of immigrants, so from that standpoint, I think
                          I'll feel more welcomed.

                          Anyways, my 2 cents. Sorry if my postings lately have been derailed
                          from the main topic of getting the CSQ, but I think this kind of
                          interchange of thoughts help to our immigration project as a whole too.

                          I will, for sure, let everybody know of my decision when the time comes
                          :)

                          Max

                          On Jun 5, 2004, at 7:26 PM, evelynne_r wrote:

                          > Hi Max,
                          >
                          > Just been reading your messages and have every sympathy with you.
                          > I'm in a similar situation myself here in NZ - at the final stage
                          > before getting NZ PR - and a couple of weeks ago I received my CSQ!!
                          >
                          > Unlike you, it is only myself I have to consider, but it's not an
                          > easy decision, is it?  I like NZ, and have a secure job, recent
                          > promotion, money, friends etc, but I still really love the thought of
                          > Quebec.  The last two years since I left my home country of the UK,
                          > I've been in limbo, and, frankly, the thought of leaving the security
                          > I've worked so hard to establish again here in NZ scares the living
                          > daylights out of me!!
                          >
                          > I've never been to Quebec, so it's difficult to judge whether I'd be
                          > happier there or here.
                          >
                          > Anyway, let us know what you decide to do.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Evelynne
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          > <yhoo0504_a_300250a052604.gif>
                          > <l.gif>
                          >
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > Service.

                        • Maximiliano Pilipis
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 6, 2004
                            Well, if the "Yanks" have a problem with this, they will make my
                            decision a loooooot easier :))

                            Max