Re: [immigrationquebec] Mailing Indian passport

  • Ravi Rao
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2004
      * Gokul R [Tue, May 04, 2004 at 06:52:44PM -0000]:
      > Those of you who hold an Indian passport,
      > How do you guys mail Indian passport out of any country? I came
      > across posts which say mailing Indian passports out of any country
      > is illegal(which is also printed in the back page of the passport).

      I have myself successfully used registered post to send my passport to
      buffalo previously (to renew my TRV) and I know of others' too. They mailed
      it back with my new TRV to my canadian address.

      > I may have to do the final processing(get the visa stamped in the
      > passport) from India, as I may leave to India by the end of this
      > month or next month.

      Uhm, nope. The visa stamping is usually done only at the post that is
      processing your case. If it is Buffalo in your case, you cannot get it
      stamped from Syria or New Delhi or whatever. It has to be Buffalo.

      > If you guys from Canada can mail it to Buffalo can't the same thing
      > be done from India to Buffalo too?

      No, you cannot. Buffalo mails back passports to only US/Canada addresses.

      Which means you won't get your passport back if you mail it there.

      Hth,

      --ravi.
      --
      destructive real bogus cs geek
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2004
        G,

        Are you in the States on the EAD (one-year practical training) post-
        F1 thing? If so, when is that expiring? Is that why you want to go
        back? No chance of converting that to H1 maybe?

        Rich
        --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Gokul R" <cgk_79@y...>
        wrote:
        > Those of you who hold an Indian passport,
        > How do you guys mail Indian passport out of any country? I came
        > across posts which say mailing Indian passports out of any country
        > is illegal(which is also printed in the back page of the passport).
        > I may have to do the final processing(get the visa stamped in the
        > passport) from India, as I may leave to India by the end of this
        > month or next month.
        >
        > If you guys from Canada can mail it to Buffalo can't the same thing
        > be done from India to Buffalo too?
        >
        > ~Gokul
      • Gokul R
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2004
          Yes Rich, I am on my OPT, expiring by the end of June 2004(have
          another 60 days of legal status after that). I am looking at some
          options of getting H1 but got some complications with the H1cap, and
          problems of working between June and Oct. Another option would be
          going back to F1 until my Canadian visa comes, but I don't want to
          do it now.

          Even if I leave U.S, my processing will not be affected in Buffalo,
          the only problem I see is sending the passport out of India. If I do
          go to India then I think I need to send it to a local friend in U.S
          either by post or through someone, and ask them to mail it to
          Buffalo and get it stamped.

          I was wondering if you guys have any friends or knew people who have
          done the stamping process(applied through Buffalo) from India?

          ~Gokul

          --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <umkumiut00@y...>
          wrote:
          > G,
          >
          > Are you in the States on the EAD (one-year practical training)
          post-
          > F1 thing? If so, when is that expiring? Is that why you want to go
          > back? No chance of converting that to H1 maybe?
          >
          > Rich
          > --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Gokul R" <cgk_79@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Those of you who hold an Indian passport,
          > > How do you guys mail Indian passport out of any country? I came
          > > across posts which say mailing Indian passports out of any
          country
          > > is illegal(which is also printed in the back page of the
          passport).
          > > I may have to do the final processing(get the visa stamped in
          the
          > > passport) from India, as I may leave to India by the end of this
          > > month or next month.
          > >
          > > If you guys from Canada can mail it to Buffalo can't the same
          thing
          > > be done from India to Buffalo too?
          > >
          > > ~Gokul
        • Gokul R
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2004
            Ravi
            Thanks for the mail. That's a good point that Buffalo sends
            passports back to U.S or Canada.
            As I mentioned in the other mail, have you known people who have got
            the visa stamped from India?
            I am looking for some options from experiences of others that you
            have known or heard about.
            Thanks
            ~Gokul

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2004
              Ok...unless you want to bet your life on it..I am not so sure about
              the part where your processing will continue in buffalo and you are
              physically in India. How confident are you and have you checked and
              double-checked this?

              The immigration officer who interviewed me during the CSQ interview
              was very clear in this issue and mentioned that federal processing in
              Buffalo was contingent on the candidate being in USA or Canada.

              But I trust you have done your homework and know and understand the
              consequences of your action plan...

              As to sending of passport from India to USA...that again is risky and
              also not recommended but as I just said...know and understand the
              consequences of your action plan...

              Good Luck!