Re: Mailing Indian passport

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2004
      Whoa! Hold on Gokul...RedFlag! RedFlag!!

      When you say you want to leave for India by end of this month or
      next, I am assuming it is for a short period right? You do expect to
      come back right?

      Remember, your processing in Buffalo is subject to you physically
      being in the USA or Canada..if you expect to have a different country
      of residence next month onwards, yur file may get transferred outside
      of Buffalo!!

      Tell me you knew this!!

      --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Gokul R" <cgk_79@y...>
      wrote:
      > Those of you who hold an Indian passport,
      > How do you guys mail Indian passport out of any country? I came
      > across posts which say mailing Indian passports out of any country
      > is illegal(which is also printed in the back page of the passport).
      > I may have to do the final processing(get the visa stamped in the
      > passport) from India, as I may leave to India by the end of this
      > month or next month.
      >
      > If you guys from Canada can mail it to Buffalo can't the same thing
      > be done from India to Buffalo too?
      >
      > ~Gokul
    • Ravi Rao
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2004
        * Gokul R [Tue, May 04, 2004 at 06:52:44PM -0000]:
        > Those of you who hold an Indian passport,
        > How do you guys mail Indian passport out of any country? I came
        > across posts which say mailing Indian passports out of any country
        > is illegal(which is also printed in the back page of the passport).

        I have myself successfully used registered post to send my passport to
        buffalo previously (to renew my TRV) and I know of others' too. They mailed
        it back with my new TRV to my canadian address.

        > I may have to do the final processing(get the visa stamped in the
        > passport) from India, as I may leave to India by the end of this
        > month or next month.

        Uhm, nope. The visa stamping is usually done only at the post that is
        processing your case. If it is Buffalo in your case, you cannot get it
        stamped from Syria or New Delhi or whatever. It has to be Buffalo.

        > If you guys from Canada can mail it to Buffalo can't the same thing
        > be done from India to Buffalo too?

        No, you cannot. Buffalo mails back passports to only US/Canada addresses.

        Which means you won't get your passport back if you mail it there.

        Hth,

        --ravi.
        --
        destructive real bogus cs geek
      • Rich
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2004
          G,

          Are you in the States on the EAD (one-year practical training) post-
          F1 thing? If so, when is that expiring? Is that why you want to go
          back? No chance of converting that to H1 maybe?

          Rich
          wrote:
          > Those of you who hold an Indian passport,
          > How do you guys mail Indian passport out of any country? I came
          > across posts which say mailing Indian passports out of any country
          > is illegal(which is also printed in the back page of the passport).
          > I may have to do the final processing(get the visa stamped in the
          > passport) from India, as I may leave to India by the end of this
          > month or next month.
          >
          > If you guys from Canada can mail it to Buffalo can't the same thing
          > be done from India to Buffalo too?
          >
          > ~Gokul
        • Gokul R
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2004
            Yes Rich, I am on my OPT, expiring by the end of June 2004(have
            another 60 days of legal status after that). I am looking at some
            options of getting H1 but got some complications with the H1cap, and
            problems of working between June and Oct. Another option would be
            going back to F1 until my Canadian visa comes, but I don't want to
            do it now.

            Even if I leave U.S, my processing will not be affected in Buffalo,
            the only problem I see is sending the passport out of India. If I do
            go to India then I think I need to send it to a local friend in U.S
            either by post or through someone, and ask them to mail it to
            Buffalo and get it stamped.

            I was wondering if you guys have any friends or knew people who have
            done the stamping process(applied through Buffalo) from India?

            ~Gokul

            --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <umkumiut00@y...>
            wrote:
            > G,
            >
            > Are you in the States on the EAD (one-year practical training)
            post-
            > F1 thing? If so, when is that expiring? Is that why you want to go
            > back? No chance of converting that to H1 maybe?
            >
            > Rich
            > --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Gokul R" <cgk_79@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Those of you who hold an Indian passport,
            > > How do you guys mail Indian passport out of any country? I came
            > > across posts which say mailing Indian passports out of any
            country
            > > is illegal(which is also printed in the back page of the
            passport).
            > > I may have to do the final processing(get the visa stamped in
            the
            > > passport) from India, as I may leave to India by the end of this
            > > month or next month.
            > >
            > > If you guys from Canada can mail it to Buffalo can't the same
            thing
            > > be done from India to Buffalo too?
            > >
            > > ~Gokul
          • Gokul R
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2004
              Ravi
              Thanks for the mail. That's a good point that Buffalo sends
              passports back to U.S or Canada.
              As I mentioned in the other mail, have you known people who have got
              the visa stamped from India?
              I am looking for some options from experiences of others that you
              have known or heard about.
              Thanks
              ~Gokul

              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2004
                Ok...unless you want to bet your life on it..I am not so sure about
                the part where your processing will continue in buffalo and you are
                physically in India. How confident are you and have you checked and
                double-checked this?

                The immigration officer who interviewed me during the CSQ interview
                was very clear in this issue and mentioned that federal processing in
                Buffalo was contingent on the candidate being in USA or Canada.

                But I trust you have done your homework and know and understand the
                consequences of your action plan...

                As to sending of passport from India to USA...that again is risky and
                also not recommended but as I just said...know and understand the
                consequences of your action plan...

                Good Luck!