Applying under Self-employed sector

  • africka_uk
    Message 1 of 7 , May 19 3:28 AM
      I have decided applying under this sector is the most likely to be
      successful for me, but I have a question:

      Does anyone know if a lone person applying is likely to be less
      successful than people who apply together, ie a husband and wife?
      Presumably, with self-employed status, they may consider a lone
      person less likely to be able to support themselves due to illness,
      etc?

      Also, would I be more likely to be successful if I made a visit to
      the area I am planning to move to in order to check out the local
      market for the type of business I intend to be starting up, or to see
      if I would be likely to get some work for my self-employed status
      once I land?

      Many thanks to anyone who can answer this - I don't seem able to get
      through to the High Commission in London - the number is just
      continuously engaged and have been trying since Christmas!!

      Andrea
    • scottish_in_canada
      Message 2 of 7 , May 19 9:08 AM
        Here is the link to the guide for applications for PR under Business
        Class (as self empoloyed). They still use the points system here,
        however, the points required are much lower than for skilled worker
        class, so it really shouldn't have any significant effect on your
        application, and no, I don't think that they discriminate against
        single applicants provided you meet the criteria.

        http://cicnet.ci.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/4000E.PDF

        It asks you on the application for self employed to write down your
        intended occupation in Canada, provide details of location and
        anticipated investment(if applicable)
        I would gather from that that it wouldn't hurt to have thoroughly
        researched the area you are interested in, and mention any specific
        investment interests.

        As far as London, don't phone them, fax them, they are far more
        likely to respond, the number is:
        020 7258 6506

        Hope this has been of some help!! :)

        --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, "africka_uk"
        <africka_uk@y...> wrote:
        > I have decided applying under this sector is the most likely to be
        > successful for me, but I have a question:
        >
        > Does anyone know if a lone person applying is likely to be less
        > successful than people who apply together, ie a husband and wife?
        > Presumably, with self-employed status, they may consider a lone
        > person less likely to be able to support themselves due to
        illness,
        > etc?
        >
        > Also, would I be more likely to be successful if I made a visit to
        > the area I am planning to move to in order to check out the local
        > market for the type of business I intend to be starting up, or to
        see
        > if I would be likely to get some work for my self-employed status
        > once I land?
        >
        > Many thanks to anyone who can answer this - I don't seem able to
        get
        > through to the High Commission in London - the number is just
        > continuously engaged and have been trying since Christmas!!
        >
        > Andrea
      • andrea fricker
        Message 3 of 7 , May 20 1:20 AM
          Gosh, that's brilliant. I shall now progress along this route. I have looked on MLS (the property sales site) and found some B&B's for sale. I think a visit is in order now, so next step looking for cheap flights to Vancouver (anyone know cheapest airline?) and then trying to find out how to get up to Fort St John and Prince George!!

          Is there train services to PG and further up or not? Anyone know? And would I have to fly up to Whitehorse in Yukon from Vancouver or could I drive it do you think?

          I am sure getting my "money's worth" out of this site - I think it's fantastic!!
          Andrea

          <africka_uk@y...> wrote:
          > I have decided applying under this sector is the most likely to be
          > successful for me, but I have a question:
          >
          > Does anyone know if a lone person applying is likely to be less
          > successful than people who apply together, ie a husband and wife?
          > Presumably, with self-employed status, they may consider a lone
          > person less likely to be able to support themselves due to
          illness,
          > etc?
          >
          > Also, would I be more likely to be successful if I made a visit to
          > the area I am planning to move to in order to check out the local
          > market for the type of business I intend to be starting up, or to
          see
          > if I would be likely to get some work for my self-employed status
          > once I land?
          >
          > Many thanks to anyone who can answer this - I don't seem able to
          get
          > through to the High Commission in London - the number is just
          > continuously engaged and have been trying since Christmas!!
          >
          > Andrea

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Paul George
          Message 4 of 7 , May 20 7:06 AM
            Not sure where you are based but try canadian affair. They are on the net and have great prices for us in the uk.
            Also, I am doing similar property research - though for Southern BC so may be able to help you identify best real estate sales people.

            Best of luck
            Miriam

            <africka_uk@y...> wrote:
            > I have decided applying under this sector is the most likely to be
            > successful for me, but I have a question:
            >
            > Does anyone know if a lone person applying is likely to be less
            > successful than people who apply together, ie a husband and wife?
            > Presumably, with self-employed status, they may consider a lone
            > person less likely to be able to support themselves due to
            illness,
            > etc?
            >
            > Also, would I be more likely to be successful if I made a visit to
            > the area I am planning to move to in order to check out the local
            > market for the type of business I intend to be starting up, or to
            see
            > if I would be likely to get some work for my self-employed status
            > once I land?
            >
            > Many thanks to anyone who can answer this - I don't seem able to
            get
            > through to the High Commission in London - the number is just
            > continuously engaged and have been trying since Christmas!!
            >
            > Andrea

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • scottish_in_canada
            Message 5 of 7 , May 20 10:00 AM
              Yeah, from the uk Canadian affair is pretty cheap, here is the link
              to the website:

              www.canadian-affair.com

              I also stumbled across this link for you :

              http://www.selectrez.com/routes.html

              so hopefully from that you can decide if you want to do the drive.

              you can also look up www.cheapflights.co.uk or .ca
              Although, one piece of advice from experience, they will not let you
              book flights online here in Canada through Expedia.ca with a uk
              credit card, but you cannot go onto the UK site and book the flights
              stareting from the Canada end, just a little problem I ran into when
              I was planning a trip home

              So as far as the Whitehorse plan, if I were you I would probably go
              into Flight Centre or travel cuts or somewhere and see what deals
              they have at the last minute, as they tend to have a lot provided
              you pay for it right there that day, if you wait until the next,
              they are often gone.

              And here is something I got for how to get to Prince George from
              Vancouver

              How do I get there?

              Air Canada Regional offers a number of flights daily from Vancouver
              to Prince George

              West Jet offers a number of flights to Prince George from Victoria,
              Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary

              The Cariboo Prospector passenger train operates three times weekly
              from North Vancouver (winter schedule is two trips weekly)

              The Whistler Northwind launches in May 2001 between North Vancouver
              and Prince George (luxury train excursion offered by BC Rail)

              The Skeena Line operated by VIA rail connects Prince George with
              Jasper and Prince Rupert

              Prince George is served by Greyhound Bus Lines

              Hopefully there is some info here to get you started :)

              --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, andrea fricker
              <africka_uk@y...> wrote:
              > Gosh, that's brilliant. I shall now progress along this route. I
              have looked on MLS (the property sales site) and found some B&B's
              for sale. I think a visit is in order now, so next step looking for
              cheap flights to Vancouver (anyone know cheapest airline?) and then
              trying to find out how to get up to Fort St John and Prince George!!

              > Is there train services to PG and further up or not? Anyone know?
              And would I have to fly up to Whitehorse in Yukon from Vancouver or
              could I drive it do you think?

              > I am sure getting my "money's worth" out of this site - I think
              it's fantastic!!
              > Andrea
            • andrea fricker
              Message 6 of 7 , May 21 12:29 AM
                That's brilliant - BC, here I come!!
                Huge thanks to Scottish_in_Canada - what a star.

                <africka_uk@y...> wrote:
                > Gosh, that's brilliant. I shall now progress along this route. I
                have looked on MLS (the property sales site) and found some B&B's
                for sale. I think a visit is in order now, so next step looking for
                cheap flights to Vancouver (anyone know cheapest airline?) and then
                trying to find out how to get up to Fort St John and Prince George!!

                > Is there train services to PG and further up or not? Anyone know?
                And would I have to fly up to Whitehorse in Yukon from Vancouver or
                could I drive it do you think?

                > I am sure getting my "money's worth" out of this site - I think
                it's fantastic!!
                > Andrea

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • scottish_in_canada
                Message 7 of 7 , May 21 8:59 AM
                  No problem!
                  And when you get to Vancouver, look me up if you want to go for a
                  coffee, or get a guided tour :)