NEED TO MOVE

  • histbuf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
      I am wanting to know how the job market is in Canada. I am trying to
      move as far away as possible from an abusive ex husband. I am
      college educated and have worked in a variety of jobs. Please let me
      know what the situation is on finding work and getting the correct
      information on becoming a Canadian citizen. Thanks Lisa (PS I
      don't speak French)
    • Elze <elzes@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
        > I am wanting to know how the job market is in Canada. I am trying
        > move as far away as possible from an abusive ex husband. I am
        > college educated and have worked in a variety of jobs. Please let
        me
        > know what the situation is on finding work and getting the correct
        > information on becoming a Canadian citizen. Thanks Lisa (PS I
        > don't speak French)

        Sorry to hear about your situation, but, frankly, I don't see how
        moving to Canada would serve you as a quick solution. At this time it
        takes at least 2 years to get your Canadian permanent residence
        documents approved -- and that's in the best case, if you apply from
        U.S. In many other countries, it takes 3 years or more. You probably
        don't want to wait that long to get away from your abusive ex?

        Plus, with the new point system in effect, it is very hard to qualify
        for Canadian immigration. Even if you get the maximum points for
        education (i.e. you have a Master's degree or a Ph.D.) and maximum
        points for work experience, you still won't score enough points to
        qualify, unless you have one of the following:

        - an spouse with sufficient education and work experience who can get
        enough points to add to your point total;

        - knowledge of both English and French languages;

        - a job offer from a Canadian company.

        You said you don't know French, job offers from Canadian companies are
        nearly impossible to get unless you are already located in Canada
        (most employers hire only local candidates), and you didn't say if you
        are currently married, so I don't know if you can benefit from
        spouse's points. It seems like your best bet would be to learn French
        and then apply. Even then, you are looking at a timeframe of at
        least 2-3 years.

        Elze
      • abbopsky
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
          get rid of the abusive ex first, then migrate.
        • jaocanada
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2003
            Hi!
            Why don't you apply for Permanent residence in US? - they have a
            category for "Baterred Spouse" - Of course, I am assuming you are not
            an America already :)

            --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, histbuf <no_reply@y...>