Re: Is my immigration paper still valid????

  • Delerium9903
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2002
      When you stay outside of Canada longer than the period required to
      retain PR status(183 days out of a year), there is a presumption that
      operates - that you intended to abandon your permanent residence.
      With the new law that came into effect, there are different residency
      requirements for retaining PR.

      You would have to provide evidence to prove otherwise, that you
      intended to return. They would want to know what attempts you made
      to prepare for your return in the time period you were outside Canada.

      The fact that you have not entered Canada since 1995 would weigh
      heavily against an appeal. However, I don't know all the facts of
      your case so an appeal may not be out of the question.

      Ed