Dual citizenship and social security

  • Paul Randolph
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2007
      Does anyone know if the US makes you give up citizenship upon becoming
      a Canadian citizen? I know that Canada allows dual citizenship, but
      I'm not sure about the US. Also, if we have to give up US
      citizenship, do we lose the right to collect US social security?

      Also, keeping US citizenship obliges us to pay federal income tax on
      any income over $70,000 (at least that was the cutoff a few years ago).

      Thanks, Paul