gay marriage

  • Brad
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
      My question is, I am an American and my partner is Mexican. He has
      been in the USA for almost 15 years, he is an illegal Alien. If we get
      married in one of the states that has legalized gay marriage, will this
      help in the future to get some legal status in Canada. We have been
      together for 5 years and we have domestic partnership through my
      company. Where is the gay & lesbian movement going with the immigration
      situation in this country, several other countries already have
      reconized this issue. Please help.
    • mimikos athanassiadis
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007
        You can apply to Immigrate to Canada and your partner
        can accompany you but NOT in the sponsorship category
        as the previous email indicated as you are not a
        Canadian citizen. The fact that your partner is
        illegally in the US may have some consequences on your
        application as well.

        Please contact me should you have any further
        questions.

        Best regards,

        Mimikos Athanassiadis
        Avocat/Barrister & Solicitor
        3438 Hutchison Street
        Montreal, Qc H2X 2G4
        Tel: 514-849-7345
        Fax:514-904-9581
        mimikoslaw@...

        No content of this email should be construed as a
        legal opinion. Only a professional consultation with a
        lawyer should be undertaken for a proper legal
        consultation.

        Member of the Quebec Bar Association-www.barreau.qc.ca
        Member of the Quebec Immigration lawyers
        Association-www.aqaadi.com

        --- Brad <ftlbrad@...> wrote:

        > My question is, I am an American and my partner is
        > Mexican. He has
        > been in the USA for almost 15 years, he is an
        > illegal Alien. If we get
        > married in one of the states that has legalized gay
        > marriage, will this
        > help in the future to get some legal status in
        > Canada. We have been
        > together for 5 years and we have domestic
        > partnership through my
        > company. Where is the gay & lesbian movement going
        > with the immigration
        > situation in this country, several other countries
        > already have
        > reconized this issue. Please help.

        Mimikos Athanassiadis
        Avocat/Barrister & Solicitor
        3438 Hutchison Street
        Montreal, Qc H2X 2G4
        Tel: (514) 849-7345
        Fax: (514) 904-9581

        No content of this email should be construed as a legal opinion. Only a professional consultation with a lawyer should be undertaken for a proper legal consultation.

        Member of the Quebec Bar Association-www.barreau.qc.ca
        Member of the Quebec Immigration lawyers Association- www.aqaadi.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ms.phitt
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007
          You can only apply under the family class if one partner has Canadian
          citizenship or Canadian permanent resident (PR) status. Additionally,
          Canadian PR's cannot apply to sponsor their partners if they are
          living exclusively outside Canada.

          So it sounds like your partner will probably have to apply under one
          of the independent classes of immigration. If those applications are
          anything like the family class applications, they will specifically
          ask him if he is legal to reside in the country where he is living.
          From what I have read, it is very likely they will deny him once they
          find out his illegal status living in the U.S.

          Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer or immigration expert, just someone
          partway through the process of a family class immigration who has done
          a whole lot of research... so if your dog pees on the carpet or a
          meteor crashes into the earth as a result of your listening to me,
          just remember you could have hired a lawyer. :)

          --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, mimikos athanassiadis