Regarding common-law.

  • lifewithgoals
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2005
      Hi, I'm from Portugal and I'm trying to immigrate to Canada,
      I've been reading documentation on Canada immigration, and saw this
      term "common-law", I've looked it up but it seems there are many
      interpretations.

      Regarding this I have two questions:
      1- Although we don't live together, I've been with my girlriend
      continuously for 4 years. We still don't have a job, so we don't
      divide expenses. Can this relationship be called Common-law?

      2- If I decide to include my girlfriend in my immigration application
      (which reflects in more score points to immigration), can she create
      her own application of immigration where she would include me as
      common-law? Or would this be illegal in some way, I mean, to submit 2
      separate applications where one includes each other as a common-law
      partner?

      Thanks a lot
      Ben