Re: [Immigration Canada] Digest Number 389

  • Graeme Van Leer
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 12, 2003
      In the latest digest (received 12/11), the first article is all about the
      availability of free porn (best quality apparently!). Now what this has to
      do with immigration to Canada defeats me, but what i do know, is that this
      sort of message is offensive, and certainly shouldn't be appearing on a
      family access site.
      So thank you Erica Anderson No. 51730 for proving all the internet sceptics
      right and providing yet another site for all the losers and weirdo's.
      I'm assuming that these digests are not screened before they are sent out?
      Might be an idea to migrate this group over to MSN groups (less annoying
      pop-ups too!!!) as they appear to screen their groups better......

      Sorry to be prude (which I'm not!) but there is a time and a place for this
      sort of message!

      Graeme

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 12, 2003
        --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, "Graeme Van Leer"
        <graeme.vanleer@n...> wrote:
        > In the latest digest (received 12/11), the first article is all
        > about the availability of free porn (best quality apparently!). Now
        > what this has to do with immigration to Canada defeats me, but what
        > i do know, is that this sort of message is offensive, and certainly
        > shouldn't be appearing on a family access site.

        > So thank you Erica Anderson No. 51730 for proving all the internet
        > sceptics right and providing yet another site for all the losers and
        > weirdo's.

        I don't suppose you've never seen spam before? :-)

        If seriously, here's how spam gets to this list. Spammers have
        software that automatically generates a Yahoo account, automatically
        subscribes them to various Yahoo groups and sends spam. "Erica
        Anderson" is probably not a real person, it's just a name for an
        account that spamming software generated, so unfortunately your
        sarcasm falls on deaf ears. :-(

        But here's what can be done to stop it. The owner of this group (the
        person who created it) should change the status of this group in one
        of two ways:

        - he/she could make the group moderated; then he/she or someone else
        would need to become a moderator and screen all the messages that
        are posted;

        - he/she could make the membership in the group be "approval
        only". That means that whenever a new person sent a subscription
        request to this group, the owner would have to decide whether to
        allow that person to join. To verify that it's a real person and not
        a spambot, the owner could send a message to that person requesting
        a reply. The real person would probably reply, a spambot would not,
        since email addresses that spambots use are fake. Only after getting
        a satisfactory reply would the owner allow the person to join.

        If the owner finds it too much work to become a moderator or to
        approve subscriptions, someone else from the group could volunteer for
        this duty.

        Those are probably the only 2 ways to keep spam out of Yahoo groups,
        and most of the Yahoo groups I'm in use one of these two policies, or
        both.

        > Might be an idea to migrate this group over to MSN groups (less
        > annoying pop-ups too!!!) as they appear to screen their groups
        > better......

        It's very easy to implement screening in Yahoo groups too, provided
        someone assumes this responsibility. It shouldn't consume too much of
        anyone's time. I'm pretty sure that that's how individual MSN groups
        screen their postings -- it must be done by a group member, as I don't
        think MSN personnel has time and resources to screen all the groups.

        So I would appreciate if the owner of this group would implement some
        screening policy, or at least call for volunteers to do it. I'm
        annoyed by spam too, as I'm sure everyone is.

        Elze
      • ahblair
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2003
          Graeme, I apologize for that spam getting through on the group, the
          member (probably a bot) has been removed.

          Elze, thanks for the great advice. What we wanted to do when creating
          the group was to keep it as open and inclusive as possible, with
          little effort required to join. This means that unfortunately it's
          also easier for spambots to send spam, in this case offensive to a
          member. There has been one bad instance of repeated spam in the past,
          and at that time the group was temporarily placed both under
          moderation (by me) and membership approval (by me) until no further
          attempts were made to spam the list. The best scenario would be to
          have free & open membership with strong moderation, but unfortunately
          this is very time-consuming. Member 'anags' used to do moderation as
          well, but no longer. If anyone else wants to step up and help
          moderate, please send and e-mail!

          - Moderator
        • Elze
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 13, 2003
            --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, ahblair <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > What we wanted to do when creating the group was to keep it as open
            > and inclusive as possible, with little effort required to join.
            > This means that unfortunately it's also easier for spambots to send
            > spam, in this case offensive to a member.

            Well, there was a whole bunch of spam today again, in a form of "New
            file uploaded" notices. Would you consider turning off the ability to
            upload the files? Yahoo groups let you do that. Nobody uploads files
            to this group anyway, except spammers. If some member had a real need
            to upload some files, he/she could then send those files to you and
            you would upload them yourself. As it is now, allowing every member to
            upload files leaves a wide open door for spammers.

            > There has been one bad instance of repeated spam in the past, and at
            > that time the group was temporarily placed both under moderation (by
            > me) and membership approval (by me) until no further attempts were
            > made to spam the list. The best scenario would be to have free &
            > open membership with strong moderation, but unfortunately this is
            > very time-consuming.

            Perhaps it would be easier to have an unmoderated group with
            membership approval instead?

            Also, Yahoo lets you to moderate only the messages of new members,
            while letting old member messages go through. I'm not sure, though,
            what counts as a "new" member, but I suppose that a member stays "new"
            only until he/she posts for a first time. Once they have posted and
            you allowed their message go through, you would not have to moderate
            further messages from the same member... that's my understanding,
            although I'm not sure if it's correct.

            Elze
          • Hasan Mohamed
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 13, 2003
              Elze <elzes@...> wrote:--- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, "Graeme Van Leer"
              <graeme.vanleer@n...> wrote:
              > In the latest digest (received 12/11), the first article is all
              > about the availability of free porn (best quality apparently!). Now
              > what this has to do with immigration to Canada defeats me, but what
              > i do know, is that this sort of message is offensive, and certainly
              > shouldn't be appearing on a family access site.

              > So thank you Erica Anderson No. 51730 for proving all the internet
              > sceptics right and providing yet another site for all the losers and
              > weirdo's.

              I don't suppose you've never seen spam before? :-)

              If seriously, here's how spam gets to this list. Spammers have
              software that automatically generates a Yahoo account, automatically
              subscribes them to various Yahoo groups and sends spam. "Erica
              Anderson" is probably not a real person, it's just a name for an
              account that spamming software generated, so unfortunately your
              sarcasm falls on deaf ears. :-(

              But here's what can be done to stop it. The owner of this group (the
              person who created it) should change the status of this group in one
              of two ways:

              - he/she could make the group moderated; then he/she or someone else
              would need to become a moderator and screen all the messages that
              are posted;

              - he/she could make the membership in the group be "approval
              only". That means that whenever a new person sent a subscription
              request to this group, the owner would have to decide whether to
              allow that person to join. To verify that it's a real person and not
              a spambot, the owner could send a message to that person requesting
              a reply. The real person would probably reply, a spambot would not,
              since email addresses that spambots use are fake. Only after getting
              a satisfactory reply would the owner allow the person to join.

              If the owner finds it too much work to become a moderator or to
              approve subscriptions, someone else from the group could volunteer for
              this duty.

              Those are probably the only 2 ways to keep spam out of Yahoo groups,
              and most of the Yahoo groups I'm in use one of these two policies, or
              both.

              > Might be an idea to migrate this group over to MSN groups (less
              > annoying pop-ups too!!!) as they appear to screen their groups
              > better......

              It's very easy to implement screening in Yahoo groups too, provided
              someone assumes this responsibility. It shouldn't consume too much of
              anyone's time. I'm pretty sure that that's how individual MSN groups
              screen their postings -- it must be done by a group member, as I don't
              think MSN personnel has time and resources to screen all the groups.

              So I would appreciate if the owner of this group would implement some
              screening policy, or at least call for volunteers to do it. I'm
              annoyed by spam too, as I'm sure everyone is.

              Elze

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              ail to me thank you very much

            • ahblair
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 13, 2003
                Thanks for the ideas Elze,

                "Well, there was a whole bunch of spam today again, in a form of "New
                file uploaded" notices. Would you consider turning off the ability to
                upload"

                Yes, I noticed these and deleted them. The ability to upload files
                has also been turned off :-( Hopefully we won't have to limit any
                more group functionality.

                "Perhaps it would be easier to have an unmoderated group with
                membership approval instead?"

                This would be the same situation as now, but with more work: I would
                see a membership request from lisa0572@... along with a number of
                others, and not knowing anything about her, I'd approve her
                membership. A day or three later that member posts spam and the
                messages are removed, the membership is deleted and she is banned.
                The main difference is that currently there is no delay in getting
                membership. I think the only way to effectvely block all spam is to
                have each message approved by a moderator. I haven't yet seen how to
                moderate messages of only new members, as you mentioned.

                Incidentally, I'm also participating in some other groups, and so far
                the other groups have had much worse spam problems. I hope it dosen't
                get worse here!

                -Moderator

                --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, "Elze" <elzes@y...> wrote:
                > --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, ahblair <no_reply@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > What we wanted to do when creating the group was to keep it as
                open
                > > and inclusive as possible, with little effort required to join.
                > > This means that unfortunately it's also easier for spambots to
                send
                > > spam, in this case offensive to a member.
                >
                > Well, there was a whole bunch of spam today again, in a form of "New
                > file uploaded" notices. Would you consider turning off the ability
                > upload the files? Yahoo groups let you do that. Nobody uploads files
                > to this group anyway, except spammers. If some member had a real
                need
                > to upload some files, he/she could then send those files to you and
                > you would upload them yourself. As it is now, allowing every member
                > upload files leaves a wide open door for spammers.
                >
                > > There has been one bad instance of repeated spam in the past, and
                at
                > > that time the group was temporarily placed both under moderation
                (by
                > > me) and membership approval (by me) until no further attempts were
                > > made to spam the list. The best scenario would be to have free &
                > > open membership with strong moderation, but unfortunately this is
                > > very time-consuming.
                >
                > Perhaps it would be easier to have an unmoderated group with
                > membership approval instead?
                >
                > Also, Yahoo lets you to moderate only the messages of new members,
                > while letting old member messages go through. I'm not sure, though,
                > what counts as a "new" member, but I suppose that a member stays
                "new"
                > only until he/she posts for a first time. Once they have posted and
                > you allowed their message go through, you would not have to moderate
                > further messages from the same member... that's my understanding,
                > although I'm not sure if it's correct.
                >

                > Elze
              • Hasan Mohamed
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 14, 2003
                  please remove me from this groub

                  ahblair <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  Thanks for the ideas Elze,

> [...]

                  > > that time the group was temporarily placed both under moderation
                  (by
                  > > me) and membership approval (by me) until no further attempts were
                  > > made to spam the list. The best scenario would be to have free &
                  > > open membership with strong moderation, but unfortunately this is
                  > > very time-consuming.
                  >
                  > Perhaps it would be easier to have an unmoderated group with
                  > membership approval instead?
                  >
                  > Also, Yahoo lets you to moderate only the messages of new members,
                  > while letting old member messages go through. I'm not sure, though,
                  > what counts as a "new" member, but I suppose that a member stays
                  "new"
                  > only until he/she posts for a first time. Once they have posted and
                  > you allowed their message go through, you would not have to moderate
                  > further messages from the same member... that's my understanding,

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Elze
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 15, 2003
                    --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, ahblair <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    >> "Perhaps it would be easier to have an unmoderated group with
                    >> membership approval instead?"
                    >
                    > This would be the same situation as now, but with more work: I would
                    > see a membership request from lisa0572@y... along with a number of
                    > others, and not knowing anything about her, I'd approve her
                    > membership. A day or three later that member posts spam and the
                    > messages are removed, the membership is deleted and she is banned.

                    Well, the idea is that spambots are not real personalities, so they
                    won't reply to your email. Spambots are created by software; that
                    software automatically creates a Yahoo account and subscribes it to a
                    group; the person running that software doesn't check emails sent to
                    spambots' addresses. They are creating so many accounts that they
                    don't have time to check the email at each account; besides they don't
                    expect to receive any mail at those accounts. That's why it's very
                    likely that a spammer won't reply to your email, and that a person who
                    replies is not a spammer.

                    > I haven't yet seen how to moderate messages of only new members, as
                    > you mentioned.

                    In the group web page
                    (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/immigrationcanada) go to "Management"
                    link in the left toolbar. In "Group Settings" section, click
                    "Messages" link. Click "Edit" link next to "Posting and Archives".
                    Under "Posting Options", in "Moderation" section, check the radio box
                    "New Members".

                    Hope this helps,

                    Elze
                  • ahblair
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 15, 2003
                      Hi Elze,

                      "Well, the idea is that spambots are not real personalities, so they
                      won't reply to your email."

                      What e-mail? That's the thing: I don't need to send an e-mail to
                      anyone to approve their membership. If I started doing that, and
                      waiting for a reply before authorizing, I would be sending messages
                      and managing replies (and people's questions in the replies) all the
                      time. Considering I already deal with hundreds of e-mails daily,
                      there probably would also be a delay of a few days between membership
                      request and approval for this club.

                      I'll try approval of new messages if things get out of hand in here,
                      thanks for the suggestion.

                      -Moderator

                      --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, "Elze" <elzes@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, ahblair <no_reply@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > >> "Perhaps it would be easier to have an unmoderated group with
                      > >> membership approval instead?"
                      > >
                      > > This would be the same situation as now, but with more work

                      ---Message Truncated---