Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

2035Re: gay marriage

Expand Messages
  • ms.phitt
    Apr 5, 2007
      You can only apply under the family class if one partner has Canadian
      citizenship or Canadian permanent resident (PR) status. Additionally,
      Canadian PR's cannot apply to sponsor their partners if they are
      living exclusively outside Canada.

      So it sounds like your partner will probably have to apply under one
      of the independent classes of immigration. If those applications are
      anything like the family class applications, they will specifically
      ask him if he is legal to reside in the country where he is living.
      From what I have read, it is very likely they will deny him once they
      find out his illegal status living in the U.S.

      Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer or immigration expert, just someone
      partway through the process of a family class immigration who has done
      a whole lot of research... so if your dog pees on the carpet or a
      meteor crashes into the earth as a result of your listening to me,
      just remember you could have hired a lawyer. :)

      --- In immigrationcanada@yahoogroups.com, mimikos athanassiadis
      <mimikos1@...> wrote:
      > You can apply to Immigrate to Canada and your partner
      > can accompany you but NOT in the sponsorship category
      > as the previous email indicated as you are not a
      > Canadian citizen. The fact that your partner is
      > illegally in the US may have some consequences on your
      > application as well.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic