classic, emulation, OS4 & MOS benchmark scripts???

  • Wil Haslup
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hi all,

      The members of a the local users group/e-mail list have a couple A1(s)
      among them, one or two MorphOS machines, several Amiga Forever/UAE and
      Amithlon users and the normal collections of classic hardware you find
      among Amigans with any history.

      In an effort to find meaning in the often erupting..."my
      machine/emulation/hack is great" e-mail exchange I suggested we run some
      benchmarks on the newer systems.

      ...trouble is we couldn't find/weren't aware of any native OS4 or
      MorphOS benchmark apps that had equal 3.9 compiles ...so any comparison
      is some variation of "apples and oranges". Anyone know of any?

      It occurs to me that running rexx scripts in any app that can do run
      rexx scripts to automate its function might help.

      running rexx scaling(or other) scripts in Image FX ...maybe putting in
      some kind of time measurement at the beginning and the end...and putting
      together a standard set of "test" images to run it on could tell you
      something.

      Sure, Image FX is compiled for 3.x...running under UAE on top of Windows
      has one kind of overhead, Amithlon on a Linux kernel another, through
      the emulation layer of OS4 or MorphOS another but if you want to know
      about real world results with the current versions of the apps you're
      using this seems to me to be as good a benchmark as any.

      For apps that do have OS4 or MorphOS compiles running the scripts with
      those would give you an indication of the overhead inherent in the
      emulation layers of those.

      Anyone got a better scheme?

      --

      Wil

      -- http://www.charmfx.com/

      I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
      --The Doctor, "Dr. Who"
    • Kennedy, Bob
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
        Wil,

        For the classic machines, at least, many people use the Lightwave3D "Texture
        Examples" scene as a benchmark.

        I'm not sure if Lighwave works under emulation, or on the A1 or Peg, but
        when I install OS4 on the CS-PPC A4000T at work that will be about the first
        thing I try.

        Bob

        _____

        -- http://www.charmfx.com/ <http://www.charmfx.com/>

        I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
        --The Doctor, "Dr. Who"

        http://www.novadesign.com <http://www.novadesign.com>

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • Kilovideo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
          In a message dated 11/2/2005 1:27:11 PM Mountain Standard Time,
          bob.kennedy@... writes:

          Wil,

          For the classic machines, at least, many people use the Lightwave3D "Texture
          Examples" scene as a benchmark.

          I'm not sure if Lighwave works under emulation, or on the A1 or Peg, but
          when I install OS4 on the CS-PPC A4000T at work that will be about the first
          thing I try.

          Bob

          IMHO Bob, LW Amiga is a zebra without stripes to PC LW. 0-7 v. 1-8
          archetectur..sic... being one example to getting it to run. I have used PC LW5.6
          objects and images right from a backup of the PC LW program on cd, in LW 4.0 or
          5.0 on the Amiga. It is just to slow for anything other then making a quick
          pic to the switcher DV1 buss or file on an Amiga T/F.

          Now since LW has been ported for Linux, and if the A1 can use a Linux
          partition, the A1 would be just as fast as a PC with LW only from the OS. That
          would be LW8.x and up of course. Emulation ie..AForever is kind of moot, as you
          are already on a PC dongeled LW machine.

          My .05 and BestWishes

        • Kennedy, Bob
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
            _____

            bob.kennedy@... writes:

[...]

            Kilo,

            That's the second time I've seen Lightwave for Linux mentioned. Yet feeding
            Google "Lightwave Linux" & "Lightwave for Linux" only yields only one
            reference to some ScreamerNet modules for Linux, and references to running
            it under Wine emulation. Is there now, or is there going to be, a native
            Linux version?

            I brought up Lightwave because it is very common on professional level
            Amigas. When I upgraded from a stock A4000T to the CS-PPC card I rendered
            the Texture Examples scene at every step. I discovered that the 64bit memory
            on the CS speeded things up four times more than just going from a 25mhz 040
            to the 50mhz 060. If OS4 works without a hitch I should see another decent
            sized jump.

            Best,

            Bob

          • Christopher Ralph
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
              Hi Bob

              On 3/11/2005, you wrote:

              > _____

              Wouldn't the best use for a Linux version be just a render engine, not a designer.
              That way you could distribute frames to be calculated around a Linux network.

              Regards,
              Chris.
            • Kilovideo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                Kilo,

                That's the second time I've seen Lightwave for Linux mentioned. Yet feeding
                Google "Lightwave Linux" & "Lightwave for Linux" only yields only one
                reference to some ScreamerNet modules for Linux, and references to running
                it under Wine emulation. Is there now, or is there going to be, a native
                Linux version?

                I will look into that for you Bob. I remember then referencing SreamerNet
                on a thread as well but believe that thread was troubleshooting a render farm.

                I think there is a Linux reference on NewTek LW pages, I'm in the middle of
                a DV2SCSI problem at the moment.

                BestWishes

              • Steve Greenfield
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                  I give up on this thread. I can't tell who is saying what, it's all
                  just a bunch of undifferentiated text. Is it just me?

                  Steve Greenfield

                • Kilovideo@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                    In a message dated 11/3/2005 9:25:28 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                    alienrelics@... writes:

                    I give up on this thread. I can't tell who is saying what, it's all
                    just a bunch of undifferentiated text. Is it just me?

                    Steve Greenfield

                    Sorry I should have changed the tread Steve. It very well may be LW8.x is
                    only ported ScreamNet for Linux. Waiting on a reply now.

                    BestWishes

                  • Chris Holt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                      Changing the thread is all well and good, but you really need to enable
                      the quoting feature in your email program. People have indicated this
                      here several times before, and since it takes so little effort I'm
                      baffled as to why you haven't done us all this small favor. (Problems
                      with AOL? I'm sure someone has figured it out by now, there are so many
                      of them out there.)

                      Chris

                      Kilovideo@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 11/3/2005 9:25:28 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                      > alienrelics@... writes:
                      >
                      > I give up on this thread. I can't tell who is saying what, it's all
                      > just a bunch of undifferentiated text. Is it just me?
                      >
                      > Steve Greenfield
                      >
                      > Sorry I should have changed the tread Steve. It very well may be LW8.x is
                      > only ported ScreamNet for Linux. Waiting on a reply now.
                      >

                      > BestWishes
                    • Steve Greenfield
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                        No, I mean there is nothing to show who said what. Standard quoting
                        is for your email program to add the angle bracket and space at the
                        beginning of each line.

                        Lately I see more and more people on this and other lists with
                        email programs that just ignore convention and show nothing to
                        differentiate between quoted text and new message. I have a
                        suspicion this has some thing to do with OE. :'/

                        It makes it nearly impossible to follow some threads.

                        I know, here I am top-posting about it. That's a whole 'nother
                        subject.

                        Steve Greenfield

                        --- Kilovideo@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 11/3/2005 9:25:28 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                        > alienrelics@... writes:
                        >
                        > I give up on this thread. I can't tell who is saying what, it's
                        > all
                        > just a bunch of undifferentiated text. Is it just me?
                        >
                        > Steve Greenfield
                        >
                        > Sorry I should have changed the tread Steve. It very well may
                        > be LW8.x is
                        > only ported ScreamNet for Linux. Waiting on a reply now.
                        >

                        > BestWishes
                      • Don Ferguson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                          Greetings "Steve Greenfield" <alienrelics@...>
                          On 11/03/2005 at 4:24 PM you wrote concerning
                          Re: [imagefx] classic, emulation, OS4 & MOS benchmark scripts???

                          Hi Steve,

                          SG> I give up on this thread. I can't tell who is saying what, it's
                          SG> all just a bunch of undifferentiated text. Is it just me?

                          NO! You're not alone. 'Undifferentiated' says it well.

                          <<snip undifferentiated stuff>> ;-)

                          Cheers Don (Green Dragon)
                        • Don Ferguson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                            Greetings "Chris Holt" <audiobookfan@...>
                            On 11/03/2005 at 5:12 PM you wrote concerning
                            Re: [imagefx] classic, emulation, OS4 & MOS benchmark scripts???

                            Hi Chris and all,

                            CH> Changing the thread is all well and good, but you really need to
                            CH> enable the quoting feature in your email program. People have
                            CH> indicated this here several times before, and since it takes so
                            CH> little effort I'm baffled as to why you haven't done us all this
                            CH> small favor. (Problems with AOL? I'm sure someone has figured it
                            CH> out by now, there are so many of them out there.)

                            Agree with the above. :-( This is about the only mailing list I'm
                            on where this practice of "no quoting" is consistently [almost!!!
                            ;-)] carried out. I don't get the point of it either.

                            Cheers Don (Green Dragon)
                          • Wil Haslup
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                              Don Ferguson wrote:
                              > Greetings "Steve Greenfield" <alienrelics@...>
                              > On 11/03/2005 at 4:24 PM you wrote concerning
                              > Re: [imagefx] classic, emulation, OS4 & MOS benchmark scripts???
                              >
                              > Hi Steve,
                              >
                              > SG> I give up on this thread. I can't tell who is saying what, it's
                              > SG> all just a bunch of undifferentiated text. Is it just me?
                              >
                              > NO! You're not alone. 'Undifferentiated' says it well.
                              >
                              > <<snip undifferentiated stuff>> ;-)
                              >

                              > Cheers Don (Green Dragon)

                              So, I guess before we start benchmarking classic vs. emulation vs. A1
                              and PegasOS we need to figure out how to function on this list so we can
                              understand who's saying what!

                              ; )

                              first things first.

                              --

                              Wil

                              -- http://www.charmfx.com/

                              "Treat a work of art like a prince. Let it speak to you first."
                              -- Arthur Schopenhauer
                            • Ken Wilde
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                                Hi Wil Haslup, On 11/03/2005 you wrote:
                                > Don Ferguson wrote:
                                >> Greetings "Steve Greenfield" <alienrelics@...>
                                >> On 11/03/2005 at 4:24 PM you wrote concerning
                                >> Re: [imagefx] classic, emulation, OS4 & MOS benchmark scripts???
                                >>
                                >> Hi Steve,
                                >>
                                >> SG> I give up on this thread. I can't tell who is saying what, it's
                                >> SG> all just a bunch of undifferentiated text. Is it just me?
                                >>
                                >> NO! You're not alone. 'Undifferentiated' says it well.
                                >>
                                >> <<snip undifferentiated stuff>> ;-)
                                >>

                                >> Cheers Don (Green Dragon)
                                >
                                > So, I guess before we start benchmarking classic vs. emulation vs. A1
                                > and PegasOS we need to figure out how to function on this list so we can
                                > understand who's saying what!
                                >
                                > ; )
                                >
                                > first things first.

                                Emulation on the A1 is still a little on the slow side as the real time 68k
                                emulation module (JIT) won't be out until OS4 Final. My micro is a little
                                faster with IFX then my 060 classic. Early reports are saying a 4 to 5 time
                                speedup on IFX with JIT.

                                Regards, Ken
                                --
                                µA1-C 750GX@800Mhz/80G HD/Memorex CD Writer/OS4.0
                                A4000T/060/128Mb/PicassoIV/P96/FastATA4000/4G HD/OS3.9