Re: [TwinCLinG] Network configuration in linux for cable connections

  • linuS
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
      thanks

      it worked for me.
      i have one more query.

      after i've got a static ip from cable, how can i access my pc from
      outside. can i access my pc by its ip address, but it doesn't seems
      to be working for me.

    • pranav <cherupalli_p@yahoo.co.in>
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
        hi
        you cannot access your system from outside your network(i.e your cable
        providers network).
        As your static Ip is only to recognize your system in your cable
        operators network.you may find u r Ip some where else in the world also.
        Generally your cable operator blocks your Ip from being a public IP.
        If you need a public IP it will cost you around 8000-10000 rupees per
        month.
        i have tried this and made an enquiry regarding this.

        cheers
        pranav

        --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, linuS <sunilmohan@g...> wrote:

        > thanks
        >
        > it worked for me.
        > i have one more query.
        >
        > after i've got a static ip from cable, how can i access my pc from
        > outside. can i access my pc by its ip address, but it doesn't seems
        > to be working for me.
        >

        > On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Raghuram Vijapurapu wrote:
        >
        > > BadboY wrote:
        > >
        > > >hi hyd linux users group
        > > >
        > > >i have problems in configuring network in linux (DNS, ip etc)
        > > >i get my internet connection through cable.
        > > >
        > > >do we need any drivers etc for it or it can be used as simple
        > > >connection from telephone line.
        > > >

        > > Follow this sequence:
        > >
        > > modprobe <drivername> (You will need to find out what your network
        card
        > > is and its respective driver)
        > >
        > > ifconfig eth0 <ip address> (You should be given an ipaddress from
        your
        > > provider or if you have a DHCP then trype dhcpcd)
        > >
        > > route add default gw <gateway ip address>
        > >
        > > edit /etc/resolv.conf and add:
        > >
        > > nameserver 202.54.1.30
        > > nameserver 202.54.30.2
        > >
        > > Voila. You should be on now.
        > >
        > > Ram.
        > >
        > > >thanks
        > > >sunil

      • Raghuram Vijapurapu
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
          pranav wrote:

          >hi
          >you cannot access your system from outside your network(i.e your cable
          >providers network).

          A Cable operator will usually allot a Class C IP Address for you.

          >As your static Ip is only to recognize your system in your cable
          >operators network.you may find u r Ip some where else in the world also.

          A Class C Network is a private network, you would find 1000's of offices
          using similar ip address scheme.

          >Generally your cable operator blocks your Ip from being a public IP.

          If he allocates a public IP Address for every guy, he would have to pay
          a huge sum as he is also buying it off from his providers.

          >If you need a public IP it will cost you around 8000-10000 rupees per
          >month.
          >i have tried this and made an enquiry regarding this.

          The IP Address is usally routed back to your ip address on your machine.
          By the way, what do you want to access from your machine, are you keen
          on using a WebServer?

          How Internet Works? is a good book for you!

          Ram.

          >cheers
          >pranav
          >
          >--- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, linuS <sunilmohan@g...> wrote:
          >

          >>thanks
          >>
          >>it worked for me.
          >>i have one more query.
          >>
          >>after i've got a static ip from cable, how can i access my pc from
          >>outside. can i access my pc by its ip address, but it doesn't seems
          >>to be working for me.

          >>>Follow this sequence:
          >>>
          >>>modprobe <drivername> (You will need to find out what your network
          >>>

          >card
          >

          >>>is and its respective driver)
          >>>
          >>>ifconfig eth0 <ip address> (You should be given an ipaddress from
          >>>

          >your
          >

          >>>provider or if you have a DHCP then trype dhcpcd)
          >>>
          >>>route add default gw <gateway ip address>
          >>>
          >>>edit /etc/resolv.conf and add:
          >>>
          >>>nameserver 202.54.1.30
          >>>nameserver 202.54.30.2
          >>>
          >>>Voila. You should be on now.
          >>>
          >>>Ram.

          -
          *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
          SentryBay Corporation
          Off: +64-9-309-2491
          Mob: +64-21-189-7647
          <http://www.sentrybay.com/>
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
            On Wednesday, February 05, 2003 8:17 AM [GMT+0530=IST],
            Raghuram Vijapurapu <ram@...> wrote:

            >> you cannot access your system from outside your network(i.e your
            >> cable providers network).
            >>

            > A Cable operator will usually allot a Class C IP Address for you.

            Arre baba, please don't confuse "class C" with "private network" etc.

            Also, "classful network addressing" is dead and gone ... CIDR is what's
            going on now (/24, /16, etc)

            If your cable operator has given you a private IP (rfc1918 IP) like
            192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx ... then you can't reach it from
            outside.

            >> Generally your cable operator blocks your Ip from being a public IP.
            >>
            > If he allocates a public IP Address for every guy, he would have to
            > pay a huge sum as he is also buying it off from his providers.

            Actually it costs far less than 8k - 10k per IP ... anybody who says
            that is talking utter rubbish, or trying to make a huge profit out of
            you. IPs are far cheaper than you think...

            srs
          • Shomal Bafna
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
              > If he allocates a public IP Address for every guy,
              > he would have to pay a huge sum as he is also buying
              > it off from his providers.

              afaik ip addresses are free if you have the means of
              connecting to the internet.

              but commercializations by ISP's adds up to the cost.

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Balaji
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
                > Dear Al,
                >
                > I AM INSATLLED WIN98 + LINUX IN A SINGLE SYSTEM THRU GRUB UTILITY
                > NOW I AM FORGOT MY ROOT PASSWD HOW CAN I GOTO SINGLE USER MODE IN GRUB.
                > Please confirm the receipt as soon as possible
                >
                > Regards,
                > BSR
                1. get your key board fixed.
                2. dont reply to a thread. if u r asking a new question, start a new thread.
                3. read the man page / google. the first link for ur query on google shows
                the answer.

                http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/configure-boot-loader-
                grub.html

                edit the line which contains the kernel image and add a single option at
                the end.

                hth
                -balaji
              • bsr krishna
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003

                  Shomal Bafna <shomalbafna@...> wrote:> If he allocates a public IP Address for every guy,

                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
                      Shomal Bafna wrote:

                      >>If he allocates a public IP Address for every guy,
                      >>he would have to pay a huge sum as he is also buying
                      >>it off from his providers.
                      >>

                      >afaik ip addresses are free if you have the means of
                      >connecting to the internet.
                      >
                      >but commercializations by ISP's adds up to the cost.

                      How do you think Arthur Anderson made his money ;) and how Verizon is
                      bounding up with money.

                      Ram.
                      --
                      *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
                      SentryBay Corporation
                    • Balaji
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
                        > Why this?
                        oh! this guys types in ALL CAPS.

                        > Read This:
                        >
                        > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-
                        > guide/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html
                        a better link.
                        thanks.
                        -balaji
                      • Raghuram Vijapurapu
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
                          Balaji wrote:

                          >>Dear Al,
                          >>
                          >>I AM INSATLLED WIN98 + LINUX IN A SINGLE SYSTEM THRU GRUB UTILITY
                          >>NOW I AM FORGOT MY ROOT PASSWD HOW CAN I GOTO SINGLE USER MODE IN GRUB.
                          >>Please confirm the receipt as soon as possible
                          >>
                          >>Regards,
                          >>BSR
                          >>

                          >1. get your key board fixed.

                          Why this?

                          --
                          *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
                          SentryBay Corporation
                        • Sitaram Chamarty
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
                            On 05-Feb-2003 1:07 AM, pranav wrote:

                            > you cannot access your system from outside your network(i.e your cable
                            > providers network).
                            > As your static Ip is only to recognize your system in your cable
                            > operators network.you may find u r Ip some where else in the world also.
                            > Generally your cable operator blocks your Ip from being a public IP.
                            > If you need a public IP it will cost you around 8000-10000 rupees per
                            > month.
                            > i have tried this and made an enquiry regarding this.

                            Despite all the troubles I have had that caused me to quit using Hathway
                            in just one month, I must say in all fairness that they gave me a
                            static, non-RFC1918, address which I could and sometimes did access from
                            elsewhere.

                            So I guess it depends on who your cable provider is.

                            --
                            Sitaram

                            : (Hmmm. I wonder what would be the performance of a text editor written
                            in : Perl?) Depends on how you implement your character insertion, your
                            screen refresh, and your various incestuous internal hooks. But mostly
                            it depends on whether you call it pim or pemacs. :-) --Larry Wall in
                            <200001121555.HAA00949@...>
                          • Sitaram Chamarty
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
                              On 05-Feb-2003 8:17 AM, Raghuram Vijapurapu wrote:

                              > A Class C Network is a private network, you would find 1000's of offices
                              > using similar ip address scheme.

                              Sorry, but this is not right. There are three sets of private IPs
                              defined in RFC1918:

                              10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
                              172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
                              192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

                              As you can see, the first is class A, the last is class B, and the one
                              in the middle can be considered 16 class B's if you have to think in
                              terms of classes.

                              So if your IP address is one of these you definitely *cannot* be seen
                              from outside your cable providers network.

                              ...which still doesnt mean the converse is true, but that's another
                              story and I have work to do :-)

                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
                                Sitaram Chamarty wrote:

                                >On 05-Feb-2003 8:17 AM, Raghuram Vijapurapu wrote:
                                >

                                >>A Class C Network is a private network, you would find 1000's of offices
                                >>using similar ip address scheme.
                                >>

                                >Sorry, but this is not right. There are three sets of private IPs
                                >defined in RFC1918:
                                >
                                > 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
                                > 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
                                > 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)
                                >
                                >As you can see, the first is class A, the last is class B, and the one
                                >in the middle can be considered 16 class B's if you have to think in
                                >terms of classes.
                                >
                                >So if your IP address is one of these you definitely *cannot* be seen
                                >from outside your cable providers network.
                                >
                                >...which still doesnt mean the converse is true, but that's another
                                >story and I have work to do :-)

                                If you read my message more closely, I did mention "Private Network"

                                Ram.

                                --
                                *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
                                SentryBay Corporation
                              • bsr krishna
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 4, 2003
                                  Dear ALL,
                                  I solved grub poblem my own.But thanq for u r all responces.
                                  Regards,
                                  BSR
                                  Raghuram Vijapurapu <ram@...> wrote:Balaji wrote:

                                  >>Dear Al,
                                  >>
                                  >>I AM INSATLLED WIN98 + LINUX IN A SINGLE SYSTEM THRU GRUB UTILITY
                                  >>NOW I AM FORGOT MY ROOT PASSWD HOW CAN I GOTO SINGLE USER MODE IN GRUB.
                                  >>Please confirm the receipt as soon as possible
                                  >>
                                  >>Regards,
                                  >>BSR
                                  >>

                                  >1. get your key board fixed.

                                  Why this?

                                  --
                                  *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
                                  SentryBay Corporation

                                • Sanjay Gupta
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 5, 2003
                                    ok , but this is simple

                                    follow this link
                                    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/custom-guide/rescuemode.html

                                    sankalap

                                    --- bsr krishna <bsr_krishna2002@...> wrote: >
                                    > Dear ALL,
                                    > I solved grub poblem my own.But thanq for u r all
                                    > responces.
                                    > Regards,
                                    > BSR
                                    > Raghuram Vijapurapu <ram@...>
                                    > wrote:Balaji wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >>Dear Al,
                                    > >>
                                    > >>I AM INSATLLED WIN98 + LINUX IN A SINGLE SYSTEM
                                    > THRU GRUB UTILITY
                                    > >>NOW I AM FORGOT MY ROOT PASSWD HOW CAN I GOTO
                                    > SINGLE USER MODE IN GRUB.
                                    > >>Please confirm the receipt as soon as possible
                                    > >>
                                    > >>Regards,
                                    > >>BSR
                                    > >>

                                    > >1. get your key board fixed.
                                    > >

                                    > Why this?
                                    >
                                    > >2. dont reply to a thread. if u r asking a new
                                    > question, start a new thread.
                                    > >3. read the man page / google. the first link for
                                    > ur query on google shows
                                    > >the answer.
                                    > >

                                    >http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/configure-boot-loader-
                                    > >grub.html
                                    > >
                                    > > edit the line which contains the kernel image and
                                    > add a single option at
                                    > >the end.
                                    > >

                                    > Read This:

                                    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html

                                    > Ram.
                                    >
                                    > >hth
                                    > >-balaji
                                    > >

                                    > --
                                    > *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
                                    > SentryBay Corporation
                                    > Off: +64-9-309-2491
                                    > Mob: +64-21-189-7647
                                    > <http://www.sentrybay.com/>

                                    > removed]

                                    > removed]

                                    =====
                                    Love doesn't know languages,boundries.

                                    http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                                  • Nikhil Shanker
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 5, 2003
                                      On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:56:07PM +0530, linuS wrote:
                                      > after i've got a static ip from cable, how can i access my pc from
                                      > outside. can i access my pc by its ip address, but it doesn't seems
                                      > to be working for me.

                                      <shameless-plug>

                                      Even if you're behind a firewall or a proxy or even on a private IP, if
                                      you happen to have a mobile phone, you can do it through SMSTerm. Its as
                                      good as an ol' TELIX session. :) You can only run command line stuff
                                      tho. But, you might have to pay heavy SMS bills if you get a lil'
                                      carried away. :D

                                      </shameless-plug>

                                      Nikhil.

                                      --
                                      Nikhil Shankar (nikhil.shanker at acm.org)

                                      Slackware Linux http://www.slackware.com/
                                      I guess that's why people care: Simplicity is Divine.