files section and upload

  • Balaji
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2003
      hi,
      remeber reading recently reading a mail from Nick abt file uploads being
      disabled.
      if i remember correct, earlier messages and files viewing were open to all,
      and u could access them without logging to the yahoogroups site. but now, the
      files section is disabled if u are not logged on. any pointers?

      -balaji
      ps: i remember some one uploading a doc abt CVS some time back. can anyone
      with access to yahoo mail the same to me off the list. tia.
    • Nikhil Shanker
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2003
        On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 02:48:43PM +0530, Balaji wrote:
        > hi,
        > remeber reading recently reading a mail from Nick abt file uploads being
        > disabled.
        > if i remember correct, earlier messages and files viewing were open to all,
        > and u could access them without logging to the yahoogroups site. but now, the
        > files section is disabled if u are not logged on. any pointers?

        I didn't have a choice on this. If i allowed member uploading and
        outsider viewing, we were having spammers subscribing to the group and
        uploading objectionable material onto the group's files section. There
        doesn't seem to be a combination in the yahoogroups setting which
        allowed mods to upload and allow everyone to view. :( so there.

        > -balaji
        > ps: i remember some one uploading a doc abt CVS some time back. can anyone
        > with access to yahoo mail the same to me off the list. tia.

        Since those were the only files on it, I've relocated it onto the website.
        You can get it at http://ilug-hyd.org.in/contrib/cvs/
        Although, the CVS-RCS-HOWTO which forms a part of the LDP Linux-HOWTOs
        is a more detailed HOWTO, IMHO. I've also added a link from the home page to
        the CVS. I just created a new contribs directory. If anyone has any
        articles you'd like to put online, let me know and I'll throw it in and
        give it a link on the page. The beautification is left to the exercise
        of the web-dev group, namely Sharat, Balaji and co. ;)

        Nikhil.

        --
        Nikhil Shankar (nikhil.shanker at acm.org)

        Slackware Linux http://www.slackware.com/
        I guess that's why people care: Simplicity is Divine.