how to restrict linux not to boot certain runlevels

  • Sanjay Gupta
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
      Hi All,

      I want to restrict my lilo not to allow any
      body to boot my linux in run levels 1 and 3 .How it
      can be achieved .I am using RH 8 on pentium III
      machine.

      sankalap

      =====
      Love doesn't know languages,boundries.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • Kiran Kumar Chava <chavakk19@linuxmail.o
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Sanjay Gupta <sankalap@y...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I want to restrict my lilo not to allow any
        > body to boot my linux in run levels 1 and 3 .How it
        > can be achieved .I am using RH 8 on pentium III
        > machine.
        >
        > sankalap

        The easiest way is goto /etc/inittab and replace 1 and 3 with the 5
        so whenever u enter 1 or 3 it will take u to runlevel 5.
        There exists more complex ones but surely this will work (as in case
        of me )
        long long ago i read some articles regarding this
        www.hackingtruths.box.sk (now i donot know whether this site is
        active or not).
        why don't u use grub with password. (ofcourse there is no difference
        without password but unlike lilo in grub when u want to change the
        boot sequence it will ask password. a safer way only u can go to
        runlevel one and three remaining people just can go to ur default
        one.)

        > =====
        > Love doesn't know languages,boundries.

        > http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      • Sumeet Madhukar Moghe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
          On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 11:05, Sanjay Gupta wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I want to restrict my lilo not to allow any
          > body to boot my linux in run levels 1 and 3 .How it
          > can be achieved .I am using RH 8 on pentium III
          > machine.

          You could restrict people from passing a a boot parameter like single by
          adding the following lines in /etc/lilo.conf, in the section for your
          kernel.
          restricted
          password=thisisyourpassword

          Now to boot the kernel with user defined parameters, you will be
          prompted for a password.
          To boot into run-level 5, which is what I guess u wanna do, you must
          edit /etc/inittab and look for a line that reads thus...

          id:3:initdefault:

          Change it to read thus..

          id:5:initdefault:

          Now thy task is truly accomplished...or so I would assume;)
          > sankalap
          /Sumeet
          Sumeet Madhukar Moghe | mailto:sumeet@...
          C/O Mr PK Das, Ghola C Block, | Phone:+ 91 - 33 - 2595 1420
          Opposite Checkpost, Sodepur, | + 91 - 33 - 2565 7575
          Calcutta 700 110 - INDIA |

          Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
          -- Kris Kristofferson, "Me and Bobby McGee"
          Sumeet Madhukar Moghe | mailto:sumeet@...
          C/O Mr PK Das, Ghola C Block, | Phone:+ 91 - 33 - 2595 1420
          Opposite Checkpost, Sodepur, | + 91 - 33 - 2565 7575
          Calcutta 700 110 - INDIA |

          Any girl can be glamorous; all you have to do is stand still and look
          stupid.
          -- Hedy Lamarr