[OT]How to ask questions the smart way

  • Sankha Subhra Som
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi luggers,
      Was browsing the ILUG-Bangalore site wen i found this excellent article that
      i wuld surely like to share with members on the list.
      http://linux-bangalore.org/articles/smart-questions.php
      Do take time to read it.
      HTH
      Sankha
      --
      SANKHA SUBHRA SOM
      ATC - BIOINFORMATICS

      An anonymous digitoid
      You don't learn to hold your own in the world by standing on guard, but by
      attacking, and getting well-hammered yourself.
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
        On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 19:59, Sankha Subhra Som wrote:
        > Hi luggers,
        > Was browsing the ILUG-Bangalore site wen i found this excellent article that
        > i wuld surely like to share with members on the list.
        > http://linux-bangalore.org/articles/smart-questions.php
        > Do take time to read it.

        Why not go to the original source of the document -
        http://tuxedo.org/~esr - Eric S. Raymond's site.

        While you are there, read his other stuff -

        The Cathedral and the Bazaar
        The Magic Cauldron
        The Jargon File

        You might want to skip over his other (not about open source) articles,
        which are raving lunatic rants on stuff from gun control to muslim
        extremism, though - they are not all that worth reading.

        srs
      • Sankha Subhra Som
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
          >Why not go to the original source of the document -
          >http://tuxedo.org/~esr - Eric S. Raymond's site.
          [snip]
          Seems an interesting site to browse.The guy has all the trademarks of being a
          genius.Did you view his resume?He is a purebred in the lineage of geeks.
          Thanx for posting the link Suresh.
          Cheers
          Sankha

          --
          SANKHA SUBHRA SOM
          ATC - BIOINFORMATICS

          An anonymous digitoid
          OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?
        • Raghuram Vijapurapu
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
            Sankha Subhra Som wrote:

            >>Why not go to the original source of the document -
            >>http://tuxedo.org/~esr - Eric S. Raymond's site.
            >>

            >[snip]
            >Seems an interesting site to browse.The guy has all the trademarks of being a
            >genius.Did you view his resume?He is a purebred in the lineage of geeks.
            >Thanx for posting the link Suresh.
            >Cheers

            I think you will have to look deeply in the ideology of the Cathedral
            and the Bazaar, this is one book not to be missed by people who want to
            develop software for Open Source. It gives you some very nice insights
            to the business model to look forward to and all.

            More over if you do have a look at the Jargon file, I think it will give
            you a lot of Dictionary meanings to a lot of the words used by techies.
            I usually have it open when I am emailing people like Nick ;)

            Ram.

            --
            *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
            SentryBay Corporation

          • Raghavendra Bhat
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
              Raghuram posts :

              >>> [snip] Seems an interesting site to browse.The guy has all the
              >>> trademarks of being a genius.
              >>
              >> develop software for Open Source. It gives you some very nice
              >> insights to the business model to look forward to and all.

              The guy is good but a perverted genius. ;-)

              Open Source software can get easily steam-rollered by the main
              Opposition, in India, it is our dear friend from Redmond. OSS does
              not talk about freedom `swathanthryam' and it even justifies the usage
              of `non-free' software for the sake of convenience and cost. There is
              a fundamental flaw with the Open Source Initiative.

              Please do read this too

              http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

              Hth.
              --
              ragOO, VU2RGU :: Visit us at http://symonds.net/~fsug-kochi/
              Helping to keep the Air-Waves FREE Amateur Radio
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
                Raghavendra Bhat wrote:

                >Raghuram posts :

                >>>develop software for Open Source. It gives you some very nice
                >>>insights to the business model to look forward to and all.
                >>>

                >The guy is good but a perverted genius. ;-)
                >
                >Open Source software can get easily steam-rollered by the main
                >Opposition, in India, it is our dear friend from Redmond. OSS does
                >not talk about freedom `swathanthryam' and it even justifies the usage
                >of `non-free' software for the sake of convenience and cost. There is
                >a fundamental flaw with the Open Source Initiative.
                >
                >Please do read this too

                Ok! here I am back to the square ;)

                How do you define freedom?

                Is freedom is of only thinking in a constraint environment?

                I do have a Mac Freak as my collegue, when I see him working I feel
                jealous of his Mac Desktop, though "IN FREEDOM TERMS" he is not having
                the freedom. I feel he is very satisfied with what ever he has and he is
                using. And more over he is proud that he is using a great software. Do
                you think he is not having the freedom. And believe me FREEDOM is for
                people WHO BELIEVE in IT and UNDERSTAND what it is, and its too personal
                and relative.

                I believe Freedom is all about "Live an Let Live". When I am working, I
                work for myself, for my Satisfaction and for my personal quest.

                >http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

                I have read it all....

                >Hth.

                Cheers....

                Ram.
                --
                *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
                SentryBay Corporation

              • Sankha Subhra Som
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                  >How do you define freedom?
                  [snip]
                  1 : the quality or state of being free: as a : the absence of necessity,
                  coercion, or constraint in choice or action b : liberation from slavery or
                  restraint or from the power of another :
                  ;-) Tat my friend is freedom as defined in Merriam Webster.
                  Truly in the spirit of Linux.
                  (a)Nobody forced me into using Linux.
                  (b)Freedom from the slavery of Microsoft, that manifests in the propreitory
                  file formats, endless licensing..
                  [snip]

                  >I do have a Mac Freak as my collegue, when I see him working I feel
                  >jealous of his Mac Desktop, though "IN FREEDOM TERMS" he is not having
                  >the freedom. I feel he is very satisfied with what ever he has and he is
                  >using. And more over he is proud that he is using a great software. Do
                  >you think he is not having the freedom. And believe me FREEDOM is for
                  >people WHO BELIEVE in IT and UNDERSTAND what it is, and its too personal
                  >and relative.
                  >I believe Freedom is all about "Live an Let Live". When I am working, I
                  >work for myself, for my Satisfaction and for my personal quest.
                  [snip]
                  Freedom can never give you satisfaction.If freedom gives you satisfaction
                  then there's no meaning to the liberty to explore and experiment.
                  Freedom gives u the liberty to explore, seek new horizons, find them and then
                  seek newer horizons.Thats freedom for moa. Now do i sound philosophical or a
                  complete idiot ;-)
                  COMMENTS FOLKS
                  Sankha

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                    Sankha Subhra Som wrote:

                    >>How do you define freedom?
                    >>

                    >[snip]
                    >1 : the quality or state of being free: as a : the absence of necessity,
                    >coercion, or constraint in choice or action b : liberation from slavery or
                    >restraint or from the power of another :
                    >;-) Tat my friend is freedom as defined in Merriam Webster.
                    >Truly in the spirit of Linux.
                    >(a)Nobody forced me into using Linux.
                    >(b)Freedom from the slavery of Microsoft, that manifests in the propreitory
                    >file formats, endless licensing..
                    >[snip]

                    I was just wondering what sort of applications you develop. Do you say
                    "Oh these guys are running MicroShit stuff and I will not provide a
                    solution for them". I hope you would have read the Linux Advocasy page,
                    this details a real outlook towards freedom. And in real world situation
                    no software is close to the freedom the earlier link or your pharse
                    defines.

                    >>I do have a Mac Freak as my collegue, when I see him working I feel
                    >>jealous of his Mac Desktop, though "IN FREEDOM TERMS" he is not having
                    >>the freedom. I feel he is very satisfied with what ever he has and he is
                    >>using. And more over he is proud that he is using a great software. Do
                    >>you think he is not having the freedom. And believe me FREEDOM is for
                    >>people WHO BELIEVE in IT and UNDERSTAND what it is, and its too personal
                    >>and relative.
                    >>I believe Freedom is all about "Live an Let Live". When I am working, I
                    >>work for myself, for my Satisfaction and for my personal quest.
                    >>

                    >[snip]
                    >Freedom can never give you satisfaction.If freedom gives you satisfaction
                    >then there's no meaning to the liberty to explore and experiment.
                    >Freedom gives u the liberty to explore, seek new horizons, find them and then
                    >seek newer horizons.Thats freedom for moa. Now do i sound philosophical or a
                    >complete idiot ;-)
                    >COMMENTS FOLKS

                    You are very modest to describe yourself so well ;)

                    Ram.

                    --
                    *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
                    SentryBay Corporation

                  • Sankha Subhra Som
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                      >I was just wondering what sort of applications you develop.
                      [snip]
                      Was that a question or some rumination of yours that you decided to pen down.
                      [snip]
                      >Do you say "Oh these guys are running MicroShit stuff and I will not provide
                      >solution for them". I hope you would have read the Linux Advocasy page,
                      >this details a real outlook towards freedom. And in real world situation
                      >no software is close to the freedom the earlier link or your pharse
                      >defines.
                      [snip]
                      :-0 When did i say that????
                      I said if i was an individual or a company with a *FREE* attitude, i wouldnt
                      coerce other people into using something thats not the best thing in the
                      market and stifles competition.
                      [snip]
                      >You are very modest to describe yourself so well ;)
                      [snip]
                      MODESTY always was my forte ;-)
                      [snip]
                      Sankha

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                        Sankha Subhra Som wrote:

                        >>I was just wondering what sort of applications you develop.
                        >>

                        >[snip]
                        >Was that a question or some rumination of yours that you decided to pen down.
                        >[snip]
                        >

                        >>Do you say "Oh these guys are running MicroShit stuff and I will not provide
                        >>

                        > >solution for them". I hope you would have read the Linux Advocasy page,
                        >

                        >>this details a real outlook towards freedom. And in real world situation
                        >>no software is close to the freedom the earlier link or your pharse
                        >>defines.

                        All these snips are one BIG SNIP, not individual snips. Only problem
                        with me is that, I am getting too much of kiwi'

                        >[snip]
                        >:-0 When did i say that????
                        >I said if i was an individual or a company with a *FREE* attitude, i wouldnt
                        >coerce other people into using something thats not the best thing in the
                        >market and stifles competition.
                        >[snip]

                        Yeah! when you are at job, and you wish to give the right solution to
                        the problem you would not look for options. This is what I meant! *FREE*
                        is only for yourself.

                        >>You are very modest to describe yourself so well ;)

                        Good Keep up the attitude :)

                        >[snip]
                        >MODESTY always was my forte ;-)
                        >[snip]
                        >Sankha

                        Ram.

                        --
                        *Raghuram Vijapurapu*
                        SentryBay Corporation

                      • Sankha Subhra Som
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 5, 2002
                          *NO MORE SNIPS / OR SNIPES* ;-)
                          Lets cut it short at this. If you have something interesting to read please
                          post it.Im thirsting for some good reads.
                          Chao
                          Sankha
                          --
                          SANKHA SUBHRA SOM
                          ATC - BIOINFORMATICS

                          An anonymous digitoid
                          I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.