Re: [TwinCLinG] Compatibility with Linux

  • Hrishikesh Das
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2002
      hi,

      Thanks for taking the time to look into the problem,
      But the lan chipset is sis900. I am pasting the output
      from the commands. As u can see that the lan is
      getting detected as sis900, i dont understand why it
      is not able to initialize it, or load the module
      sis900. Please try to solve this.

      [hrishi@localhost sbin]$ ./modprobe 8139
      modprobe: Can't locate module 8139
      [hrishi@localhost sbin]$ ./modprobe 8139
      modprobe: Can't locate module 8139
      [hrishi@localhost sbin]$ ./modprobe 8130
      modprobe: Can't locate module 8130
      [hrishi@localhost sbin]$ ./modprobe 8130cp
      modprobe: Can't locate module 8130cp
      [hrishi@localhost sbin]$ lspci
      00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]:
      Unknown device 0648 (rev 02)
      00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
      5591/5592 AGP
      00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]:
      Unknown device 0963 (rev 04)
      00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems
      [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
      00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
      [SiS] 7001 (rev 0f)
      00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
      [SiS] 7001 (rev 0f)
      00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
      [SiS] 7001 (rev 0f)
      00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
      [SiS]: Unknown device 7002
      00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated
      Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet (rev 91)
      00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB
      Audigy (rev 03)
      00:0a.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB
      Audigy MIDI/Game port (rev 03)
      00:0a.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy
      FireWire Port
      00:0c.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k
      HSFi Modem (rev 01)
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies
      Inc: Unknown device 4e44
      01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc:
      Unknown device 4e64
      [hrishi@localhost sbin]$ cat /proc/pci
      PCI devices found:
      Bus 0, device 0, function 0:
      Host bridge: PCI device 1039:0648 (Silicon
      Integrated Systems [SiS]) (rev 2).
      Master Capable. Latency=32.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xc0000000
      [0xcfffffff].
      Bus 0, device 1, function 0:
      PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
      5591/5592 AGP (rev 0).
      Master Capable. No bursts. Min Gnt=8.
      Bus 0, device 2, function 0:
      ISA bridge: PCI device 1039:0963 (Silicon
      Integrated Systems [SiS]) (rev 4).
      Bus 0, device 2, function 5:
      IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
      5513 [IDE] (rev 0).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable. Latency=128.
      I/O at 0xa400 [0xa40f].
      Bus 0, device 3, function 0:
      USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
      7001 (rev 15).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable. Latency=32. Max Lat=80.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbe000000
      [0xbe000fff].
      Bus 0, device 3, function 1:
      USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
      7001 (#2) (rev 15).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable. Latency=32. Max Lat=80.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbd800000
      [0xbd800fff].
      Bus 0, device 3, function 2:
      USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
      7001 (#3) (rev 15).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable. Latency=32. Max Lat=80.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbd000000
      [0xbd000fff].
      Bus 0, device 3, function 3:
      USB Controller: PCI device 1039:7002 (Silicon
      Integrated Systems [SiS]) (rev 0).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable. Latency=32. Max Lat=80.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbc800000
      [0xbc800fff].
      Bus 0, device 4, function 0:
      Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
      [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet (rev 145).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=52.Max
      Lat=11.
      I/O at 0x8800 [0x88ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbc000000
      [0xbc000fff].
      Bus 0, device 10, function 0:
      Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB
      Audigy (rev 3).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=2.Max
      Lat=20.
      I/O at 0x8400 [0x841f].
      Bus 0, device 10, function 1:
      Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy
      MIDI/Game port (rev 3).
      Master Capable. Latency=32.
      I/O at 0x8000 [0x8007].
      Bus 0, device 10, function 2:
      FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy
      FireWire Port (rev 0).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=2.Max
      Lat=4.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbb800000
      [0xbb8007ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbb000000
      [0xbb003fff].
      Bus 0, device 12, function 0:
      Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi
      Modem (rev 1).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable. Latency=32.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xba800000
      [0xba80ffff].
      I/O at 0x7800 [0x7807].
      Bus 1, device 0, function 0:
      VGA compatible controller: PCI device 1002:4e44
      (ATI Technologies Inc) (rev 0).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=8.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf0000000
      [0xf7ffffff].
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd8ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbf800000
      [0xbf80ffff].
      Bus 1, device 0, function 1:
      Display controller: PCI device 1002:4e64 (ATI
      Technologies Inc) (rev 0).
      Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=8.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000
      [0xe7ffffff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbf000000
      [0xbf00ffff].

      So chandra kanth what do u think of all the above
      output ? does it make any sense ? Thanks for the time,

      Hrishi.

      <Personal to Nick>
      Dude I already have a THX certified dolby 5.1 Speakers
      @ 500 watts RMS, they are the Klipsch Promedia 5.1,
      http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?ProdID=4

      And i Didnt just get the comp to play games, Though
      gaming is always one of the reasons :)) But I am going
      to start Programming Directx 9 , so i needed it.

      And also i would really appreciate it if u could help
      me fix my problem with the LAn card not working. I
      will try to fix the DRI and the drivers from the ATI
      Site,

      Thanks ( and mail me abt whats going on ur end),

      </Personal>

      =====
      Computer Configuration:
      Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz + Asus P4S8X Mobo,
      512 MB XMS DDR 400 CAS 2 RAM,
      ATI Radeon 9700 pro, Creative Audigy Gamer,
      120 GB WD Special Edition HDD, 16X DVD,
      48X12X48X Liteon CDWriter,
      21" KDS Monitor, Klipsch Promedia 5.1.

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Hrishikesh Das
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
        hi,

        i finally got every thing working under mardrake 9.0,
        i bought a new ethernet card a linksys card, this
        gives me much better perf in windows and also works in
        linux.

        few small issues though:

        1) As i have a radeon 9700 pro, and ati DOES not have
        the drivers for this card for linux. how do i get 3d
        Acceleration, by that i mean DRI/OpenGl. I know nick
        said that get the firegl drivers, but which ones ?
        there is fire gl 8800, 8700 ,etc etc. which ones do I
        get ? also is there a way of checking whether 3d
        acceleration is enabled or not ? some utility which
        will work only in 3d/OpenGl ??

        2) The monitor refresh rate is 60 Hz, This is
        straining for the eye. is there a way of changing this
        in linux to 75 or 80 Hz ?

        3) I tried playing a few movie files, it works and I
        even get 6 channel sound, but in the movie itself
        there are vertical lines and it is in Black and white.
        I am using the default movie player Xine that came
        with Mandy 9.0, do i have to install any codecs ?

        Thanks in advance,
        Hrishi.

        =====

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
          hi Hrishikesh

          Are you able t play .dat files ?

          YSM
          ----

        • Chandra Kanth Chereddi
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 10, 2002
            On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 07:35, Yasaswi Srinivas Mallampalli wrote:
            > hi Hrishikesh
            >

            > Are you able t play .dat files ?

            xine does not play .dat files but I guess mplayer does. Check it out..
            though not as user frienldy as xine mplayer is supposed to be more
            popular and powerful.

            CCK.
          • Nick Hill
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 11, 2002
              not userfriendly? have you checked out the skins yet? :P
              I didn't like the "Windows Media Player" skin very much, but the others
              were not bad at all. My eternal favourite "BlueHeart" is one of them
              too. :)

              Nikhil.

              --
              Nikhil Shankar (nikhil at ilug-hyd.org.in)

              Slackware Linux http://www.slackware.com/
              I guess that's why people care: Simplicity is Divine.
            • Nick Hill
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 12, 2002
                On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 04:17:30PM -0700, Hrishikesh Das wrote:
                > hi,
                >
                > i finally got every thing working under mardrake 9.0,
                > i bought a new ethernet card a linksys card, this
                > gives me much better perf in windows and also works in
                > linux.
                >
                > few small issues though:
                >
                > 1) As i have a radeon 9700 pro, and ati DOES not have
                > the drivers for this card for linux. how do i get 3d
                > Acceleration, by that i mean DRI/OpenGl. I know nick
                > said that get the firegl drivers, but which ones ?
                > there is fire gl 8800, 8700 ,etc etc. which ones do I
                > get ? also is there a way of checking whether 3d
                > acceleration is enabled or not ? some utility which
                > will work only in 3d/OpenGl ??

                I _think_ the 8800 drivers work. just run 'glxinfo' and if you've got
                DRI enabled, you should get something similiar to the following output:

                ----
                display: :0 screen: 0
                direct rendering: Yes
                server glx vendor string: SGI
                server glx version string: 1.2
                server glx extensions:
                GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
                client glx vendor string: SGI
                client glx version string: 1.2
                client glx extensions:
                GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
                GLX extensions:
                GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
                OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
                OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Radeon 20020611 AGP 2x x86/MMX/SSE TCL

                ----

                > 2) The monitor refresh rate is 60 Hz, This is
                > straining for the eye. is there a way of changing this
                > in linux to 75 or 80 Hz ?

                change good ol' modelines in your XF86Config

                > 3) I tried playing a few movie files, it works and I
                > even get 6 channel sound, but in the movie itself
                > there are vertical lines and it is in Black and white.
                > I am using the default movie player Xine that came
                > with Mandy 9.0, do i have to install any codecs ?

                I personally prefer mplayer. YMMV.

                Nikhil.

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 14, 2002

                  first of all the 8800 drivers dont work :(, they are
                  of a totally different arch, anyway i will wait for
                  the FIRE GLX1 drivers.

                  glxinfo gives :
                  name of display: :0.0
                  display: :0 screen: 0
                  direct rendering: No
                  server glx vendor string: SGI
                  server glx version string: 1.2
                  server glx extensions:
                  GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
                  GLX_EXT_import_context
                  client glx vendor string: SGI
                  client glx version string: 1.2
                  client glx extensions:
                  GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
                  GLX_EXT_import_context
                  GLX extensions:
                  GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
                  GLX_EXT_import_context
                  OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
                  OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2
                  OpenGL extensions:
                  GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_abgr,
                  GL_EXT_blend_color,
                  GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract
                  glu version: 1.3
                  glu extensions:
                  GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator,
                  GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

                  visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st
                  accumbuffer ms cav
                  id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g
                  b a ns b eat
                  0x22 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 0 0 0
                  0 0 0 0 None
                  0x23 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16
                  16 0 0 0 None

                  I think that means that I dont have DRI, But one very
                  surprising thing is that All the MESA demos work, i.e
                  glgears etc etc, and gears gives a FPS of 230, now is
                  this doing it in software mode ?

                  Also what modeline should I change to set refresh to
                  75 +, an example would be helpful. Nick or anyone
                  else ... :)

                  Also mplayer gives an error saying "ERROR
                  opening/initializing the video_out(-vo) device" What
                  is this ?

                  Thanks,
                  Hrishi.

                  =====
                  Computer Configuration:
                  Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz + Asus P4S8X Mobo,
                  512 MB XMS DDR 400 CAS 2 RAM,
                  ATI Radeon 9700 pro, Creative Audigy Gamer,
                  120 GB WD Special Edition HDD, 16X DVD,
                  48X12X48X Liteon CDWriter,
                  21" KDS Monitor, Klipsch Promedia 5.1.

                  http://faith.yahoo.com
                • Nick Hill
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 14, 2002
                    On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 07:15:04AM -0700, Hrishikesh Das wrote:
                    > I think that means that I dont have DRI, But one very
                    > surprising thing is that All the MESA demos work, i.e
                    > glgears etc etc, and gears gives a FPS of 230, now is
                    > this doing it in software mode ?

                    yeah. And, I get ~120 fps without DRI on my aging P3-450. Hey, maybe
                    glxgears could replace SPECfp afterall, for reliable benchmarks! ;)

                    Mesa has a s/w fallback for every non-accelerated function. So, if you
                    aren't using DRI, all functions are emulated in s/w. welll.. prolly, the
                    only demo which wouldn't work would be the tunnel2 demo, which requires
                    2 Voodoo 2 (yes, TWO of those) in SLI to work. :)

                    > Also what modeline should I change to set refresh to
                    > 75 +, an example would be helpful. Nick or anyone
                    > else ... :)

                    In XF4, you dont need to do it manually. XF4 automatically detects your
                    Refresh Rates based on the DPMS info returned by the monitor. I was just
                    fondly remembering the Good Old Days (tm) when I was referring to
                    tweaking modelines.. :)

                    Check out /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see what your refresh rate is being
                    detected as. It should say something like:

                    (II) RADEON(0): Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 120 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 55 kHz, PixClock max 2550 MHz

                    if the H/V max/min dont look identical to what your monitor manual says,
                    put the ones in your manual in your /etc/X11/XF86Config in the "Monitor"
                    section:

                    Section "Monitor"

                    .
                    .
                    .

                    HorizSync 30-55
                    VertRefresh 50-120

                    .
                    .
                    .

                    EndSection

                    > Also mplayer gives an error saying "ERROR
                    > opening/initializing the video_out(-vo) device" What
                    > is this ?

                    geez... do you even completely look at the error message? it also says
                    something along the lines of "type mplayer -vo help for help". bah! try
                    this for size:

                    mplayer -vo xv my-recently-downloaded-movie-off-edonkey.asf

                    if it croaks with an "xv acceleration not available". replace "xv" with
                    "x11".

                    Nikhil.