Re: how to ftp with dhcp clients

  • grsgiri27
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30 10:25 PM
      --- In ilughyd@y..., "giri_conf" <giri_conf@y...> wrote:
      > --- In ilughyd@y..., "grsgiri27" <grsgiri27@y...> wrote:
      > > Dear friends,
      > > I have recently configured dhcp with more than 300 clients (win,
      > sun
      > > and linux) using B class addresses. DHCP is working fine. But i
      am
      > > worried about the clients (sun and linux) who want to do ftp to
      > some
      > > other clients or windows client doing ftp to linux or sun clients.
      > > Since the ip addresses allotted may be different each time how
      can
      > > the clients check the new addresses or how to configure "hosts"
      > file.
      > > Pl. let me know.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance.
      > > -seshagiri
      >
      > Hi
      >
      > If Only some part of Ur crew (fixed crew) wanna ftp(whatever) to
      some
      > other fixed crew ,U can ask the DHCP server 2 assign dha same IP
      > addresses, infact U can ask the server 2 assign fixed addresses 2
      all
      > the clients.If dis is okay with U post a message i will (can) tell
      > the entire procedure.
      >
      > Anyhow i ill try to do it otherwise.
      >
      > bye
      > giridhar
      >
      > Retrospection is fsck

      Dear Mr. Giridhar,
      I am ready to do that. Only thing i was interested in is that there
      is what is known as "dynamic DNS". i was interested in knowing
      whether ddns will be of use in this kind of scenario. Any way i would
      like to know from u
      1. how to assign the same ip addresses again and again to specific
      machines. is it possible to give this option without the mac address?
      2. how to assign the same ip's to all the machines ( since our ip
      addresses are many and machines are less as on today).
      3. how far these methods are reliable?

      I would also request u to explore the possibility of ddns if
      possible and whether it is reliable with bind and dns.

      Thankyou
      -- seshagiri
    • giri_conf
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        Hi

        U can assign the same ip addresses by mentioning the follow.. in the
        dhcpd.conf file

        host client1 {
        hardware address <clients mac address>
        fixed-address <ip address>
        }

        Infact there is no need to assign the same address for Ur clients.i
        have a diff solution. follows...
        mention the follow. in the server dhcpd.conf

        host client1 {
        hardware address <clients mac address>
        }

        mention in the clients file
        option host-name client1

        U can fix the ip addresses even without knowing mac but with
        difficulty, i ill post it later.

        the above works fine on linux(i havent worked on sun)

        The above method is reliable.

        reg ddns..
        although u can use ddns concept here.. its entirely for a diff
        situation.

        for example... if u have a network with a server.The server connects
        to internet via dialup say.now how do people from outside ur network
        connect to Ur server.For this we use ddns where u have to buy the
        domain name (say mysite.com) and use ddns to link mysite.com to Ur
        ppp0 interface address(dynamically assigned due to dial up address)

        i hope u r clarified.

        laters
        giridhar

        prevent and prepare rather than repent and repair