Minutes of the meet- 29-06-2002

  • abcpraveen
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2002
      hi to the GNU/linux band;

      I hereby present the summary of the proceedings at our
      just concluded meet on Saturday at Satyam Learning
      Center. For those of U who couldn't make it on genuine
      grounds, here is a brief account of what exactly
      transpired.

      Well, to start with, Ani Adarsh presented a talk on
      Berlin User Interface System, highlighting the fact
      that it could be a serious contender towards replacing
      XFree86 in the not so distant future considering it's
      innovative design and implementation.

      Then, we moved on towards a discourse on Dr. Richard
      Gooch Scripts delivered by Arnab Ganguly; he took
      pains to explain the plus points of these scripts vis
      a vis Slack's BSD scripts. ( No wonder that this part
      of the proceedings held my rapt attention ).

      We then, had a surprise package in Giridhar giving a
      short talk on the Cons Utility which is modelled along
      the likes of make and according to him has got a few
      distinct advantages over the age old make and other
      prog tools.

      Towards the end of the proceedings, we got into an
      animated discussion on improving the lug website and
      generating more interest in the happenings at lug-hyd.
      A couple of members talked about how we could actually
      collect a team of volunteers who would be assigned
      individual tasks related to the overall improvement in
      our activities.
      More about that would be discussed on the mailing
      list. So watch out for it, and please do ur best to
      contribute.

      Bye;
      Praveen.

      =====
      debian spirit: "The Reasonable man adapts himself to the world, The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself, Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man" - Bernard Shaw

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Nick Hill
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2002
        On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 10:26:59PM -0700, abcpraveen wrote:
        > hi to the GNU/linux band;

        know what? the above statement evokes a lot of bad sentiments and
        brings a sour taste into the mouth from past experiences on this list
        and elsewhere. If you're gonna use it every month in every "minutes of
        the meet" thingy, we're gonna have a flame war every month on it. Ours
        is just a plain lil' LUG (Linux Users Group) . Some of our adventurous
        members tried to make it a GLUG, but thenm I'm sure no one wants to hear
        an account of that.

        Now, I'm sure you'd want to say "hi" to everyone on this group who
        incidentally happens to be using linux. (We all are, aren't we? ;)
        I bet its not just to the self-styled zealots who subscribe to the
        'GNU/Linux' philosophy.

        Since we have a wide crowd to cater to, I'm just trying to suggest here
        that we use a more broad-minded term. Its irrelevant whether I'm one of
        the zealots or not, or whether this is for my personal selfish satisfaction.
        :D

        Nikhil.

        --
        Nikhil Shankar (nikhil at ilug-hyd.org.in)

        Slackware Linux http://www.slackware.com/
        I guess that's why people care: Simplicity is Divine.
      • MDK
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2002
          Nick Hill <nikhil@...> :

          >> know what? the above statement evokes a lot of bad sentiments and
          >> brings a sour taste into the mouth from past experiences on this list
          >> and elsewhere.

          There is nothing wrong in that. Pls read (if not read already)

          http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

          <snip>
          Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system (18k characters)
          every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
          which is widely used today is more often known as ``Linux'', and many users are not
          aware of the extent of its connection with the GNU Project.
          <snip>

          PS: If you dont like calling it GNU/Linux, it is your choice. But what right you have
          to block some body else's freedom.

          MDK || dileep@... || www.symonds.net/~dileep/ || GPG: 1024D/5DFD2B0D
          Key fingerprint = B1D5 0170 07E6 76EC 54AD C748 9316 70C8 5DFD 2B0D
          Public Key available at http://belgium.keyserver.net
          ==P=o=w=e=r==o=f==t=h=e==G=N=U==h=t=t=p:=/=/=w=w=w=.=g=n=u=.=o=r=g=/==
        • Dushyanth Harinath
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2002
            Hi ,

            * <nikhil@...> wrote from a remote bunker :
            > On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 10:26:59PM -0700, abcpraveen wrote:
            > > hi to the GNU/linux band;
            >
            > know what? the above statement evokes a lot of bad sentiments and
            > brings a sour taste into the mouth from past experiences on this list
            > and elsewhere. If you're gonna use it every month in every "minutes of
            > the meet" thingy, we're gonna have a flame war every month on it. Ours

            Why flame wars ?, I believe no one here has that harsh sentiments. Its
            his personal choice.

            > is just a plain lil' LUG (Linux Users Group) . Some of our adventurous
            > members tried to make it a GLUG, but thenm I'm sure no one wants to hear
            > an account of that.

            old story , Its in the archives for anyone to read ;)

            > Now, I'm sure you'd want to say "hi" to everyone on this group who
            > incidentally happens to be using linux. (We all are, aren't we? ;)
            > I bet its not just to the self-styled zealots who subscribe to the
            > 'GNU/Linux' philosophy.

            The "self-styled zealots" here atleast didn't comment on ppl who use the
            term Linux.

            > Since we have a wide crowd to cater to, I'm just trying to suggest here
            > that we use a more broad-minded term. Its irrelevant whether I'm one of
            > the zealots or not, or whether this is for my personal selfish satisfaction.
            > :D

            I think GNU/Linux is more broad minded then only Linux. It includes all
            the GNU goddies too :).

            <runs for the hills>
            cheers
            dushyanth
            --
            I love recursion, it breaks most people's brains.
            -- Thorfinn <thorfinn@...>

            http://symonds.net/~dushy
          • Santosh Cheler
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 1, 2002

              I suggest we put these meet minutes on the site.

              --
              Santosh Cheler * csk4you@...
            • Nick Hill
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2002
                On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:21:49AM +0530, MDK wrote:
                > <snip>
                > Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system (18k characters)
                > every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
                > which is widely used today is more often known as ``Linux'', and many users are not
                > aware of the extent of its connection with the GNU Project.
                > <snip>

                ah! the usual GNU gibberish. my usual argument is the same:

                How about calling it GNU/X11/BSD/et al Linux? We use software from all
                these groups. Ironically, GNOME (The "GNU" Network Object Model Environment)
                can't even startup if there's no X running. interesting eh?

                > PS: If you dont like calling it GNU/Linux, it is your choice. But what right you have
                > to block some body else's freedom.

                You seem to have misinterpretted my mail. I was referring to the OP calling
                people the "GNU/Linux band". You see, there are quite a few of us who dont
                subscribe to this "band" and if he is posting the "minutes of the meet", i
                think its only fair that he addresses all of us in the list - those who are
                part of the "band", and those of use who're not. The LUG made a collective
                decision earlier not to call this a GLUG, and AFAIK, it still stands. That
                decision sort of represents the group's view. And, i dont think a LUG (as
                opposed to a GLUG) member can be referred to part of a "GNU/Linux band".

                Nikhil.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2002
                  On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:36:38AM +0530, Dushyanth Harinath wrote:
                  <snip>

                  whatever was above this line has been catered to in another reply
                  on the same topic. peruse it!

                  > I think GNU/Linux is more broad minded then only Linux. It includes all
                  > the GNU goddies too :).

                  Have you ever given it a thought that the term "Linux" includes _all_
                  the goodies from the GNU/X11/BSD etc.? I severely doubt it.

                  Nikhil.

                  PS: Its good ta be back! I miss my ol' fetish : Flame Wars!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2002
                    --- In ilughyd@y..., Nick Hill <nikhil@i...> wrote:

                    > You seem to have misinterpretted my mail. I was referring to the OP
                    calling
                    > people the "GNU/Linux band". You see, there are quite a few of us
                    who dont
                    > subscribe to this "band" and if he is posting the "minutes of the
                    meet", i
                    > think its only fair that he addresses all of us in the list - those who
                    are
                    > part of the "band", and those of use who're not.

                    Well, a lot has been said about the minutes that I happened to post a
                    short while back. Well to start with, I had really no clue that a mere
                    greeting would evoke such fire and that too when posted in good
                    earnest and faith. Well what seems to stand out, is the self-induced
                    interpretation of the mail in the light of such comments.

                    I don't want to argue on the rationality of the argument being meted
                    out, each member has a right to air his/her views on any subject of
                    interest to them; that is I guess the interpretation of being free.

                    I am just expressing my ignorance of such a linux lobby existing who
                    would actually get pained at being wished "hi" albeit in a "GNU/Linux"
                    style. I would have assumed that people would have recognized the
                    notion that the objective of writing the "Minutes" is to pay the much
                    deserved tributes to the deserving ppl who would have taken pains to
                    talk or deliver a speech with a view to educate the GNU/Linux user.

                    The LUG made a collective
                    > decision earlier not to call this a GLUG, and AFAIK, it still stands.
                    That
                    > decision sort of represents the group's view. And, i dont think a LUG
                    (as
                    > opposed to a GLUG) member can be referred to part of a
                    "GNU/Linux band".

                    That sounds as a very personal statement to me, and just in case you
                    have a penchant for picking up GNUisance whereever and whenever
                    u see/smell it, I suggest U keep it to urself instead of rubbing ur fetish
                    all over the mailing list.

                    > Nikhil Shankar (nikhil at ilug-hyd.org.in)

                    I really wouldn't have minded so much had someone actually
                    criticised the content/body of the mail rather then hang himself onto
                    the header.

                    Praveen.
                  • Nick Hill
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2002
                      On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 05:30:12PM -0000, abcpraveen wrote:
                      > I am just expressing my ignorance of such a linux lobby existing who
                      > would actually get pained at being wished "hi" albeit in a "GNU/Linux"
                      > style. I would have assumed that people would have recognized the
                      > notion that the objective of writing the "Minutes" is to pay the much
                      > deserved tributes to the deserving ppl who would have taken pains to
                      > talk or deliver a speech with a view to educate the GNU/Linux user.

                      It is quite clear that you are inviting a response when you keep mentioning
                      GNU/Linux all over your mail. I'll take the bait.

                      Didn't their "pains" apply to people who are not GNU/Linux users, and just
                      plain Linux users? And whatever happened to the X11/Linux users? Oh dear,
                      we seem to have hurt some very prominent sentiments by not mentioning the
                      overt Debian/Linux users.

                      Since we're a Linux-related mailing list, i dont think the GNU/Linux term
                      is so much necessary. Or, are you under the impression that a non-GNU/Linux
                      system cannot be booted and used? Or are you under yet another impression
                      that all applications which are under the GPL come under the GNU? Just
                      because the GNU made a lot of free software available, doesnt mean that
                      every Linux system should be called a GNU system. I'm not against the terms
                      of the GPL, I'm just against the concept of giving an unfair advantage to
                      the GNU and paying "tribute" to them everytime you say Linux. Do you have
                      any plans to pay "tribute" to the other contributers of the software in
                      the system you are using? The other contributers too deserve it too, just
                      like the people who've given the talks at the meet. Hey, maybe you could
                      go a step further and call it the "Minutes of the Ani/Berlin/et al Meet.",
                      just to show your appreciation.

                      > The LUG made a collective
                      > > decision earlier not to call this a GLUG, and AFAIK, it still stands.
                      > That
                      > > decision sort of represents the group's view. And, i dont think a LUG
                      > (as
                      > > opposed to a GLUG) member can be referred to part of a
                      > "GNU/Linux band".
                      >
                      > That sounds as a very personal statement to me, and just in case you
                      > have a penchant for picking up GNUisance whereever and whenever
                      > u see/smell it, I suggest U keep it to urself instead of rubbing ur fetish
                      > all over the mailing list.

                      On the contrary, quite funnilly, you seem to be the one rubbing you fetish of
                      GNU/isance along with every mentioned word of Linux. I suggest you keep it to
                      yourself instead of rubbing your fetish all over the mailing list. Wel, we've
                      stopped the GNUisance from infecting the LUG's name. Its only consistancy
                      playing a fair game when I try to to prevent you from spreading its infection
                      on the list. btw, i not only have a penchant for picking up the GNUisance
                      wherever and whenever i see/smell it, i also have a habit of kicking it out when
                      it becomes more than a nuisance.

                      We're still a Linux Users Group, and we will be. If someone doesn't like it,
                      please raise your voice.

                      Nikhil.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2002
                        +++ Nick Hill [02/07/02 23:51 +0530]:
                        > We're still a Linux Users Group, and we will be. If someone doesn't like it,
                        > please raise your voice.

                        I like it for one... am with you.

                        -srs (GNUisance... ya gotta take that to the jargon file) :)
                      • MDK
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 2, 2002
                          Hi GNUHeads,

                          Nikhil Shankar wrote:
                          >> How about calling it GNU/X11/BSD/et al Linux? We use software from all
                          >> these groups. Ironically, GNOME (The "GNU" Network Object Model Environment)
                          >> can't even startup if there's no X running. interesting eh?

                          <snip> (refer www.gnu.org)
                          If we tried to measure the GNU Project's contribution in this way,
                          what would we conclude? One CD-ROM vendor found that in their
                          ``Linux distribution'', GNU software was the largest single contingent,
                          around 28% of the total source code, and this included some of the
                          essential major components without which there could be no system.
                          Linux itself was about 3%. So if you were going to pick a name for
                          the system based on who wrote the programs in the system,
                          the most appropriate single choice would be ``GNU''.
                          </snip>

                          PS: This is for your information only. Still you don't want to ... your choice.

                          MDK || dileep@... || www.symonds.net/~dileep/ || GPG: 1024D/5DFD2B0D
                          Key fingerprint = B1D5 0170 07E6 76EC 54AD C748 9316 70C8 5DFD 2B0D
                          Public Key available at http://belgium.keyserver.net
                          ==P=o=w=e=r==o=f==t=h=e==G=N=U==h=t=t=p:=/=/=w=w=w=.=g=n=u=.=o=r=g=/==
                        • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 3, 2002
                            Hi!

                            Just to add a little more fuel to the flame war ...

                            > what would we conclude? One CD-ROM vendor found that in their
                            > ``Linux distribution'', GNU software was the largest single
                            > contingent,

                            So If I were to talk to that vendor ... it would be a polite "Then
                            you could please call your distro a GNU/Linux distro" And yeah, it
                            would not prevent me from using that distro because he does that.

                            > around 28% of the total source code, and this included some of the
                            > the most appropriate single choice would be ``GNU''.

                            Big Deal boss! Even if I were to have a very stripped down version
                            of some distro (please help me with some names here) and run some
                            heavyweight software like Oracle on it, I would not like to call it
                            Oracle/Linux. Gee that sounds horrible anyway. Note: as many people
                            seem to already suggest, the above argument of percentages is just
                            not extensible. Come to think of all the non-GNU but GLP'd goodies.

                            > PS: This is for your information only. Still you don't want
                            > to ... your choice.

                            Oh well... frankly, the only thing that prevents me from calling it
                            GNU/Linux is that I need to type four more letters and a caps-lock
                            unlock key combo or the shift down key. Whoa :O too much for a lazy
                            bugger like me.

                            What the <insert four letter expletive>. Me gets back to work ...
                            thinking that the whole thread sucks, including my moronic reply.
                            Ideology is not material for me. Kudos to RMS and everyone else
                            who manage to do a great job on it.

                            EOT from me!

                            /Giridhar

                            --
                            Y Giridhar Appaji Nag Giridhar.Nag[@t]ubinetics(.)co.in

                            While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, another
                            is busy making mistakes and becoming superior. -Henry C. Link

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 3, 2002
                              +++ Y Giridhar Appaji Nag [03/07/02 12:50 +0530]:
                              > What the <insert four letter expletive>. Me gets back to work ...
                              > thinking that the whole thread sucks, including my moronic reply.
                              > Ideology is not material for me. Kudos to RMS and everyone else
                              > who manage to do a great job on it.

                              I dont mind GNU, I rather like it. What I don't like is the expectation that
                              we mindlessly chant that word like a mantra of some kind, whenever anything
                              remotely linux-ish comes into the picture.

                              -srs

                              --
                              Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh <@> kcircle.com
                              Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 3, 2002
                                Hi ,

                                * <nikhil@...> wrote from a remote bunker :
                                > On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:36:38AM +0530, Dushyanth Harinath wrote:
                                > <snip>
                                >
                                > ..
                                >
                                > whatever was above this line has been catered to in another reply
                                > on the same topic. peruse it!
                                >
                                > > I think GNU/Linux is more broad minded then only Linux. It includes all
                                > > the GNU goddies too :).
                                >
                                > Have you ever given it a thought that the term "Linux" includes _all_
                                > the goodies from the GNU/X11/BSD etc.? I severely doubt it.

                                Iam not advocating others to use the term "GNU/Linux", Its a choice for
                                the individual to choose. And I believe no one has the right to stop
                                people who do use it.

                                The GLUG topic is dead and there is no point reviving it.

                                > PS: Its good ta be back! I miss my ol' fetish : Flame Wars!
                                ;)

                                cheers
                                dushyanth
                                --
                                About MS-DOS: "... an OS originally designed for a microprocessor
                                that modern kitchen appliances would sneer at...."

                                http://symonds.net/~dushy
                              • Ramana
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 3, 2002
                                  WHOA, is it going too far?

                                  I dont indent to add fuel to flame, but whats wrong in letting it simply be
                                  as Linux. Well I think, calling it as Gnu Slash Linux, conventionally refer
                                  to some distros and other may not just take it. In my sense it is just that.
                                  Though I am with Slack right now I was Debbie too for quite a period, and
                                  ofcourse was under redhat.
                                  If it is not distro thing at all, then I guess calling it as Linux doesnt
                                  mean that every body forgot GNU (but it is too odd to pronounce:( ) or
                                  disregarding it kinda thing.
                                  So lets keep simple things Simple.

                                  Or on everybody's permission lets call it
                                  Gnu/x11/blah/blah/blah/Linux he he he
                                  just kiddin

                                  cheers Ramana

                                  >On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 05:30:12PM -0000, abcpraveen wrote:
                                  >> I am just expressing my ignorance of such a linux lobby existing who
                                  >> would actually get pained at being wished "hi" albeit in a "GNU/Linux"
                                  >> style. I would have assumed that people would have recognized the
                                  >> notion that the objective of writing the "Minutes" is to pay the much
                                  >> deserved tributes to the deserving ppl who would have taken pains to
                                  >> talk or deliver a speech with a view to educate the GNU/Linux user.
                                • Chandra Kanth
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 3, 2002

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 13, 2002
                                      Hey Dudes (Im sure this Address is acceptable to the Masses),

                                      It sure seems we had quite a fiery time here while i was out of town
                                      BTW Im sure abcpraveen didn't mean to hurt any sentiments by the Minutes Of
                                      the Meet this month. Anyway the Objection to the usage of the term GNU/Linux
                                      Band to address the group has been Noted. And I think in addition to the
                                      criticisms u might also appreciate the fact that he is doing a very good job
                                      of posting the minutes of the meet on the list.

                                      I'd also like to point out a significant point raised by srs on the website
                                      and stuff and member contributions etc I wasn't there for the conclusion of
                                      the whole stuff I'd like to know if something had come up on it ? We had also
                                      thought of continuing the discussion on the List.

                                      Hoping of sparking that off....
                                      My List Of Suggestions:

                                      1. Putting up news on the main page. We could put up stuff related to the site
                                      like if any changes have been done etc. Now we all Know this is extremely
                                      good but the point is we need to get it done.

                                      2. The compatible hardware list is extremely stale. And also i feel that it
                                      could be maintained separately by someone else.

                                      3. Minutes of the meet on the Website. And some small writeup regarding the
                                      stuff presented to be put up on the list for further referral at any later
                                      time. It Could grow into a very good collection of stuff.

                                      4. And OfCourse member contributions like Software, HOWTOs etc.

                                      5. I feel the website could be put to use by allowing a wish list for Topics
                                      in meet talks or somethin like that.

                                      6. And I feel web Interfaces for Admin stuff like News Updation, Maintaining
                                      hardware compatibility lists or anything at all would eliminate the need for
                                      shell access.

                                      Tall Order I know but I feel these are required.

                                      One More thing I invite Volunteers for next meet with some stuff to present.
                                      Please send me the talk topics and also tell us the kinda H/W, S/W u require
                                      so that we can get everything arranged beforehand.
                                      Any talk requests may also be aired.

                                      Cheers
                                      Ani Adarsh