[TSheehan@topcoder.com: Programming Competitions for Linux User Groups]

  • Rajive
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      ----- Forwarded message from Theresa Sheehan <TSheehan@...> -----

      From: "Theresa Sheehan" <TSheehan@...>
      Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:52:59 -0400
      To: <ilughyd-owner@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Programming Competitions for Linux User Groups

      Hello:

      I am writing to introduce TopCoder software competitions,
      http://www.topcoder.com I found your email address from a list of
      Linux User Groups in India. If you believe that the following will be
      helpful to your members, I ask that you pass this along. Feel free to
      use this email as is or with any personal touch you'd like.

      TopCoder is a high profile set of programming competitions that
      culminate in an international competition once a year: The TopCoder
      Invitational. We seek to provide value to programmers of all skill
      levels through the use of head to head competition.

      TopCoder competitions offer the following benefits to programmers:
      * Fair and objective assessment of
      programming skill.
      * Ability to learn from highly skilled
      (professional and college) programmers.
      * Ability to obtain a rating demonstrating
      skill level.
      * International recognition for highly
      skilled developers.
      * Exposure to employers and major
      software/hardware manufacturers.
      * Win a share of a $10,000 or 489,799 INR*
      purse twice a week.
      * Ability to win up to $100,000 USD or
      4,898,000 INR* once a year.
      * No cost or obligation to the member.
      How it works:
      * TopCoder holds online competitions twice
      per week.
      * Developers have the choice to compete in
      Java or C++.
      * Programmers compete in a three-phase
      competition consisting of:
      -Phase I - Coding solutions to
      three problems of varying
      difficulty.
      -Phase II - Challenging other
      programmers code through the
      use of 'challenges' to their code.
      -Phase III - System test
      performed by TopCoder's servers for
      accuracy.
      * Programmers are separated into virtual
      rooms of 10 per room, giving each developer a 3 in 10 chance of winning.
      * Seeding and Divisions are utilized so
      programmers only compete against members of a similar skill level.
      * Cash prizes are awarded based on the
      placement in each room, with the top performing developers winning a
      larger share of the prize pool.

      TopCoder currently has fourteen thousand members, representing all of
      the top schools and many of the top companies in the U.S. Roughly 600
      of these members compete in each match. Our membership represents over
      90 different countries. However, as of today, only members from six
      countries may be awarded prize money. This includes India.

      This is a great way for coders to assess their skills against some of
      the best programmers in the world. It is also a great way to learn as
      all of the problems and solutions are available online.

      Again, I invite you to send this email to your members should you think
      it would benefit them. Please do not hesitate to email me at
      tsheehan@... with any questions.

      Thank you for your time.

      Sincerely,
      Theresa A. Sheehan
      tsheehan@...
      703 Hebron Avenue
      Glastonbury, CT 06033
      866.867.2633 (toll free)
      860.633.5540
      www.topcoder.com

      P.S. You can also earn some extra cash by referring others to TopCoder.
      Please check out www.topcoder.com/referral
      <http://www.topcoder.com/referral> for details!

      Additional Information:
      Reference web sites: rate conversion: