Re: mail client for pop

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
      +++ Lakshmikanth [03/04/02 10:51 +0530]:

      ~/.muttrc - http://www.hserus.net/muttrc.html

      > i want to know
      > 1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?

      see above

      http://www.hserus.net/dlhowto.html

      --
      Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh <@> kcircle.com
      Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
        * On 03'th Apr 2002 10:51:32 AM <lakshmikanth_p@...> wrote :
        > >>Is there any console based mail client (like pine,mutt) which can be used
        > to check yahoo mails or from any pop mail >>servers ?
        > >> If it is availble, pls tell me how can to configure it.
        >
        > >Dont know about pine but you can use mutt to get mails from POP or IMAP
        > >accounts. see man muttrc for more details.
        > >

        > thanks, i m able to check my mails using mutt, but only as root user, (well
        > its not a prob for my pc)
        > I have made changes in /etc/Muttrc file.

        You put the global options in /etc/Muttrc and user specific options in
        .muttrc of the users home dir.

        > i want to know
        > 1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?

        create .muttrc in the users home directory , Suresh's link is very helpful.

        > 2. Also there is not smtp option in that file. how i configure mutt to use
        > yahoo's smtp to send mails.

        For mutt to send mails, you need a local MTA running , mutt cannot use a
        remote SMTP server.

        You have many options to get it working, (1) Get sendmail working as a
        samrthost, (2) Use qmail+serialmail with only qmail-send process as u
        dont need qmail-smtpd etc, (3) Use nullmailer if you dont want to use
        full fledged MTA's , get it from http://untroubled.org/nullmailer

        If you are planning to use qmail+serialmail combo and need SMTP AUTH
        support try out my patch from

        http://symonds.net/~dushy/software.html#SerialmailPatchUpdate

        HTH
        cheers
        dushyanth
        (Dennis Ritchie)

        Dushyanth Harinath
        Archean Infotech Ltd
        http://www.archeanit.com
        http://symonds.net/~dushy
      • Lakshmikanth
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
          >> thanks, i m able to check my mails using mutt, but only as root user,
          (well
          >> its not a prob for my pc)
          >> I have made changes in /etc/Muttrc file.
          >>
          >You put the global options in /etc/Muttrc and user specific options in
          >.muttrc of the users home dir.
          >> i want to know
          >> 1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?

          >create .muttrc in the users home directory , Suresh's link is very helpful.

          yes i got it working now.

          >>2. Also there is not smtp option in that file. how i configure mutt to use
          >> yahoo's smtp to send mails.

          >For mutt to send mails, you need a local MTA running , mutt cannot use a
          >remote SMTP server.

          >You have many options to get it working, (1) Get sendmail working as a
          >samrthost, (2) Use qmail+serialmail with only qmail-send process as u
          >dont need qmail-smtpd etc, (3) Use nullmailer if you dont want to use
          >full fledged MTA's , get it from http://untroubled.org/nullmailer

          >If you are planning to use qmail+serialmail combo and need SMTP AUTH
          >support try out my patch from
          >
          >http://symonds.net/~dushy/software.html#SerialmailPatchUpdate

          i don't know much about these options, but will definetely read and try them
          out.
          thankx suresh & harinath.

          regards,
          Lakshmikanth.