Re: [TwinCLinG] mail client for pop

  • Lakshmikanth
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
      >>Is there any console based mail client (like pine,mutt) which can be used
      to check yahoo mails or from any pop mail >>servers ?
      >> If it is availble, pls tell me how can to configure it.

      >Dont know about pine but you can use mutt to get mails from POP or IMAP
      >accounts. see man muttrc for more details.
      >
      >HTH
      >cheers
      >dushaynth

      thanks, i m able to check my mails using mutt, but only as root user, (well
      its not a prob for my pc)
      I have made changes in /etc/Muttrc file.

      i want to know
      1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?
      2. Also there is not smtp option in that file. how i configure mutt to use
      yahoo's smtp to send mails.

      regards,
      -plk

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
        +++ Lakshmikanth [03/04/02 10:51 +0530]:

        ~/.muttrc - http://www.hserus.net/muttrc.html

        > i want to know
        > 1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?

        see above

        http://www.hserus.net/dlhowto.html

        --
        Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh <@> kcircle.com
        Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
          * On 03'th Apr 2002 10:51:32 AM <lakshmikanth_p@...> wrote :
          > >>Is there any console based mail client (like pine,mutt) which can be used
          > to check yahoo mails or from any pop mail >>servers ?
          > >> If it is availble, pls tell me how can to configure it.
          >
          > >Dont know about pine but you can use mutt to get mails from POP or IMAP
          > >accounts. see man muttrc for more details.
          > >

          > thanks, i m able to check my mails using mutt, but only as root user, (well
          > its not a prob for my pc)
          > I have made changes in /etc/Muttrc file.

          You put the global options in /etc/Muttrc and user specific options in
          .muttrc of the users home dir.

          > i want to know
          > 1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?

          create .muttrc in the users home directory , Suresh's link is very helpful.

          > 2. Also there is not smtp option in that file. how i configure mutt to use
          > yahoo's smtp to send mails.

          For mutt to send mails, you need a local MTA running , mutt cannot use a
          remote SMTP server.

          You have many options to get it working, (1) Get sendmail working as a
          samrthost, (2) Use qmail+serialmail with only qmail-send process as u
          dont need qmail-smtpd etc, (3) Use nullmailer if you dont want to use
          full fledged MTA's , get it from http://untroubled.org/nullmailer

          If you are planning to use qmail+serialmail combo and need SMTP AUTH
          support try out my patch from

          http://symonds.net/~dushy/software.html#SerialmailPatchUpdate

          HTH
          cheers
          dushyanth
          (Dennis Ritchie)

          Dushyanth Harinath
          Archean Infotech Ltd
          http://www.archeanit.com
          http://symonds.net/~dushy
        • Lakshmikanth
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
            >> thanks, i m able to check my mails using mutt, but only as root user,
            (well
            >> its not a prob for my pc)
            >> I have made changes in /etc/Muttrc file.
            >>
            >You put the global options in /etc/Muttrc and user specific options in
            >.muttrc of the users home dir.
            >> i want to know
            >> 1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?

            >create .muttrc in the users home directory , Suresh's link is very helpful.

            yes i got it working now.

            >>2. Also there is not smtp option in that file. how i configure mutt to use
            >> yahoo's smtp to send mails.

            >For mutt to send mails, you need a local MTA running , mutt cannot use a
            >remote SMTP server.

            >You have many options to get it working, (1) Get sendmail working as a
            >samrthost, (2) Use qmail+serialmail with only qmail-send process as u
            >dont need qmail-smtpd etc, (3) Use nullmailer if you dont want to use
            >full fledged MTA's , get it from http://untroubled.org/nullmailer

            >If you are planning to use qmail+serialmail combo and need SMTP AUTH
            >support try out my patch from
            >
            >http://symonds.net/~dushy/software.html#SerialmailPatchUpdate

            i don't know much about these options, but will definetely read and try them
            out.
            thankx suresh & harinath.

            regards,
            Lakshmikanth.