mail client for pop

  • Lakshmikanth
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
      hello everybody,

      Is there any console based mail client (like pine,mutt) which can be used to check yahoo mails or from any pop mail servers ?
      If it is availble, pls tell me how can to configure it.

      regards
      ---
      Lakshmikanth.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
        +++ Lakshmikanth [02/04/02 11:40 +0530]:
        > Is there any console based mail client (like pine,mutt) which can be used
        > to check yahoo mails or from any pop mail servers ?
        > If it is availble, pls tell me how can to configure it.

        fetchmail

        --
        Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh <@> kcircle.com
        Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
          * On 02'th Apr 2002 11:40:57 AM Lakshmikanth <lakshmikanth_p@...> wrote :
          > hello everybody,
          >
          > Is there any console based mail client (like pine,mutt) which can be used to check yahoo mails or from any pop mail servers ?
          > If it is availble, pls tell me how can to configure it.

          Dont know about pine but you can use mutt to get mails from POP or IMAP
          accounts. see man muttrc for more details.

          HTH
          cheers
          dushaynth
          --
          No Pain , No Gain.
          Dushyanth Harinath
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
            Hi all,
            Can anybody tell me how to configure a POP3 and SMTP
            for a Proxy Server....

            Thanks & Regards
            Murali

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
              >>Is there any console based mail client (like pine,mutt) which can be used
              to check yahoo mails or from any pop mail >>servers ?
              >> If it is availble, pls tell me how can to configure it.

              >Dont know about pine but you can use mutt to get mails from POP or IMAP
              >accounts. see man muttrc for more details.
              >
              >HTH
              >cheers
              >dushaynth

              thanks, i m able to check my mails using mutt, but only as root user, (well
              its not a prob for my pc)
              I have made changes in /etc/Muttrc file.

              i want to know
              1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?
              2. Also there is not smtp option in that file. how i configure mutt to use
              yahoo's smtp to send mails.

              regards,
              -plk

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
                +++ Lakshmikanth [03/04/02 10:51 +0530]:

                ~/.muttrc - http://www.hserus.net/muttrc.html

                > i want to know
                > 1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?

                see above

                http://www.hserus.net/dlhowto.html

                --
                Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh <@> kcircle.com
                Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
                If you wish to live wisely, ignore sayings -- including this one.
              • Dushyanth Harinath
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
                  * On 03'th Apr 2002 10:51:32 AM <lakshmikanth_p@...> wrote :
                  > >>Is there any console based mail client (like pine,mutt) which can be used
                  > to check yahoo mails or from any pop mail >>servers ?
                  > >> If it is availble, pls tell me how can to configure it.
                  >
                  > >Dont know about pine but you can use mutt to get mails from POP or IMAP
                  > >accounts. see man muttrc for more details.
                  > >

                  > thanks, i m able to check my mails using mutt, but only as root user, (well
                  > its not a prob for my pc)
                  > I have made changes in /etc/Muttrc file.

                  You put the global options in /etc/Muttrc and user specific options in
                  .muttrc of the users home dir.

                  > i want to know
                  > 1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?

                  create .muttrc in the users home directory , Suresh's link is very helpful.

                  > 2. Also there is not smtp option in that file. how i configure mutt to use
                  > yahoo's smtp to send mails.

                  For mutt to send mails, you need a local MTA running , mutt cannot use a
                  remote SMTP server.

                  You have many options to get it working, (1) Get sendmail working as a
                  samrthost, (2) Use qmail+serialmail with only qmail-send process as u
                  dont need qmail-smtpd etc, (3) Use nullmailer if you dont want to use
                  full fledged MTA's , get it from http://untroubled.org/nullmailer

                  If you are planning to use qmail+serialmail combo and need SMTP AUTH
                  support try out my patch from

                  http://symonds.net/~dushy/software.html#SerialmailPatchUpdate

                  HTH
                  cheers
                  dushyanth
                  (Dennis Ritchie)

                  Dushyanth Harinath
                  Archean Infotech Ltd
                  http://www.archeanit.com
                  http://symonds.net/~dushy
                • Lakshmikanth
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
                    >> thanks, i m able to check my mails using mutt, but only as root user,
                    (well
                    >> its not a prob for my pc)
                    >> I have made changes in /etc/Muttrc file.
                    >>
                    >You put the global options in /etc/Muttrc and user specific options in
                    >.muttrc of the users home dir.
                    >> i want to know
                    >> 1. how to configure it for different users and different users ?

                    >create .muttrc in the users home directory , Suresh's link is very helpful.

                    yes i got it working now.

                    >>2. Also there is not smtp option in that file. how i configure mutt to use
                    >> yahoo's smtp to send mails.

                    >For mutt to send mails, you need a local MTA running , mutt cannot use a
                    >remote SMTP server.

                    >You have many options to get it working, (1) Get sendmail working as a
                    >samrthost, (2) Use qmail+serialmail with only qmail-send process as u
                    >dont need qmail-smtpd etc, (3) Use nullmailer if you dont want to use
                    >full fledged MTA's , get it from http://untroubled.org/nullmailer

                    >If you are planning to use qmail+serialmail combo and need SMTP AUTH
                    >support try out my patch from
                    >
                    >http://symonds.net/~dushy/software.html#SerialmailPatchUpdate

                    i don't know much about these options, but will definetely read and try them
                    out.
                    thankx suresh & harinath.

                    regards,
                    Lakshmikanth.