[TwinCLinG] Re: ilughyd digest

  • mrajarao@satyamonline.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 10, 2000
      hi

      how to install nfs and raid

      Raja

      On Mon, 10 January 2000, "eGroups Digest" wrote:

      > eGroups Daily Digest: ilughyd has 2 new messages.
      > Click here http://www.eGroups.com/list/ilughyd/?start=363 to read them.

      > 363. raman kumar kakilate i am a newbie
      > 364. Pramod Immaneni Re: i am a newbie
      >
      > hi every one i am a new member to ur group .
      >
      > i am still not using linux but i am intrested in it
      > can u please suggest the places where can i get linux and some
      > tecnical details about it .
      >
      > thank u all
      >
      > raman
      >

      > ------------------------------ message 364 ------------------------------
      > http://www.eGroups.com/list/ilughyd/?start=364
      >
      > Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 15:33:47 -0700 (MST)
      > From: Pramod Immaneni <pramod@...>
      > Subject: [TwinCLinG] Re: i am a newbie
      >
      > Hi,
      > The best place for linux information is the protal www.linuxlinks.com
      > You can check out the documentation section which has a lot of details,
      > especially the HOWTO's contain a lot of technical information.
      >
      > Bye,
      > Pramod.
      >
      > On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, raman kumar kakilate wrote:
      >
      > > hi every one i am a new member to ur group .
      > >
      > > i am still not using linux but i am intrested in it
      > > can u please suggest the places where can i get linux and some
      > > tecnical details about it .
      > >
      > > thank u all
      > >
      > > raman

      > Free e-mail groups by eGroups.com.

      M.RAJA RAO
      System Administrator
      Quantum Consultants,INC
      5Q2-A2, Cyber Towers,
      Hi-Tec city
      Madhapur
      Hyderabad
      India
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 3, 2000
        Hi Guys,

        I have a problem with Exporting my file systems from Linux to Irix.

        Infact i install Redhat 6.0 , and configured as NFS server and exported Some filesystems type ext2 over the network. While i am mounting it on IRIX I am having the following error.

        "NFS3 getattr failed, Program/Version Mismatch
        Trying NFS vertion 2 Server ok
        no such file or Directory
        giving up on mount"

        Is any body out there can help me out to solve this problem.

        thanks

        your friend in need.

        M.RAJA RAO
        System Administrator
        Quantum Consultants,INC
        5Q2-A2, Cyber Towers,
        Hi-Tec city
        Madhapur
        Hyderabad
        India
      • SuriBabu
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 4, 2000
          I think you need not specify fs type in /etc/exports file.
          It seems you have specified some extra arguments.

          hope it helps..

          --suri

          > ----------

        • Nick Hill
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 6, 2000
            Please check up u're directory permissions.. Check if
            they're accessible on the particular UID/GID...

            Nikhil.
            --- mrajarao@... wrote:

            > Hi Guys,
            >
            > I have a problem with Exporting my file systems from
            > Linux to Irix.
            >
            > Infact i install Redhat 6.0 , and configured as NFS
            > server and exported Some filesystems type ext2 over
            > the network. While i am mounting it on IRIX I am
            > having the following error.
            >
            > "NFS3 getattr failed, Program/Version Mismatch
            > Trying NFS vertion 2 Server ok
            > no such file or Directory
            > giving up on mount"
            >
            > Is any body out there can help me out to solve this
            > problem.
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > your friend in need.
            >
            > M.RAJA RAO
            > System Administrator
            > Quantum Consultants,INC
            > 5Q2-A2, Cyber Towers,
            > Hi-Tec city
            > Madhapur
            > Hyderabad
            > India

            > Check out http://linuxindia.virtualave.net and
            > http://www.exocore.com/linux for PCQ RH6.1 and
            > Linux
            > Related FAQs

            > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as
            > low as 0.0%
            > Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply
            > NOW!
            >
            > eGroups.com Home:
            > http://www.egroups.com/group/ilughyd/
            > http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group
            > communications

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Pramod Immaneni
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 23, 2000
              Whats the problem? Can u give me the exact details?

              Bye,
              PI.

              On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, ram wrote:

              > Has someone here installed and worked on Oracle8i on Linux. I am having
              > problems with JDBC connectivity.
              > Did someone come across a similar kind of problem in 8i?
              > regards
              > ram

            • Nick Hill
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 23, 2000
                Hello Sir! Corel Linux is the newbie's paradise! :) It
                mimics windoze in EVERY way possible, including the
                explorer, and believe it or not, bootup gfx, a la
                "Starting Winduhz...".It runs on KDE. We got the cheap
                bytes version, and i wasn't too happy to find no GNOME
                in there. I dunno if its present in the full version
                tho... Yes, Redhat packages and Debian packages can be
                mixed, as i am mixing Slackware and RH packages. There
                is a .rpm to .deb converter, which ships with Debian,
                so i think there wont be much problem in using RH
                packages with Debian. I dunno much about the hardcopy
                stuff, i never read any piece of hardcopies, on linux,
                ever, except of course the stuff about sendmail, by
                O'reilly, which Mr. Prasad had suggested.

                Dont get excited on my last statement Suresh... ;-)

                Nikhil.

                http://im.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 23, 2000
                  Thus spake Nick Hill :

                  >stuff, i never read any piece of hardcopies, on linux,
                  >ever, except of course the stuff about sendmail, by
                  >O'reilly, which Mr. Prasad had suggested.
                  >Dont get excited on my last statement Suresh... ;-)

                  Ah, well, I won't get ~too~ excited. The Bat book (Allman and Costales,
                  O'Reilly book) is for version 8.8.8 and is pretty much outdated with 8.9.3
                  (and totally outdated with 8.10.0).

                  FWIW (as I posted in LI) one of my friends has built pretty good RPMs for
                  sendmail 8.10.0 and cyrus sasl 1.5.15

                  Download from ftp://ftp.nstc.com/software and read the release notes at
                  http://www.northshoretechnologies.net/go/software (esp if you haven't
                  built 8.10.x versions before - lots of changes from 8.9.3)

                  This RPM supports SMTP AUTH btw - fantastic.

                  Suresh Ramasubramanian | suresh (@) kcircle.com
                  Friday@... | http://www.kcircle.com
                  Cheops' law: Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget.
                • Nick Hill
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 23, 2000
                    All i can say is. To HELL with sendmail. I've had
                    'nuff of it. I feel i wasted my time reading that
                    book. I think the program is VERY dumb, if it cannot
                    have hardcoded rulez, which happen to be the standards
                    on the net, and haven't changed for the gone past. I
                    think the other MTAs do a better job. SENDMAIL SUX.

                    Nikhil.

                    http://click.egroups.com/1/2120/1/_/8978/_/953828796/

                    > eGroups.com Home:
                    > http://www.egroups.com/group/ilughyd/
                    > http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group
                    > communications

                    http://im.yahoo.com
                  • ram
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 23, 2000

                      Atul Negi wrote:

                      Could somebody relate their experiences with COrelLInux?
                      How about Debian? Where can one find some hard copy documentation
                      for these? Books/magazines?? CAn one mix Debian and redhat packages?
                      Is there any uniform package manager for these?

                      *********************notice office number***************************
                      Atul NEGI, Ph.D.
                      Office: Room M209
                      Dept. of Computer & Information Sciences, University of Hyderabad,
                      Gachibowli, HYDERABAD, 500 046 INDIA
                      Office: 91-040-3010 500 x 7931
                      Home:    91-040-3010 343
                      FAX: 91-040-3010 145, 91-040-3010 120
                      EMAIL: atulcs@..., atul@...

                      Check out http://linuxindia.virtualave.net and

                      http://www.exocore.com/linux for PCQ  RH6.1 and Linux

                      Related FAQs

                      GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as 2.9%
                      Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW!
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/936/1/_/8978/_/953816896/

                      -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ilughyd&m=1

                    • Atul Negi

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 23, 2000
                          Thus spake Nick Hill :

                          >book. I think the program is VERY dumb, if it cannot
                          >have hardcoded rulez, which happen to be the standards

                          .... who told you that it cannot?

                          --
                          Suresh Ramasubramanian | suresh (@) kcircle.com
                          Friday@... | http://www.kcircle.com
                          I think, therefore I am. I think.
                        • Nick Hill
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 23, 2000
                            --- Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh@...> wrote:

                            > Thus spake Nick Hill :
                            >
                            > >book. I think the program is VERY dumb, if it
                            > cannot
                            > >have hardcoded rulez, which happen to be the
                            > standards
                            >
                            > .... who told you that it cannot?

                            I think the silly thing must atleast have the sense to
                            figure out the email address from the From: or To:
                            fields... I think its the ruleset 3 or 5, in which we
                            have to tell it how to find the email address. I agree
                            there's UUCP also to adhere to, but i think the
                            program shud atleast do that part itself. I think some
                            other MTA (i think qmail), atleast that much of sense.
                            Sendmail isn't for me, and i realized a bit too late.
                            It simply's a waste of time. I thought its something
                            overly difficult to learn or sumthin'. Its too silly.

                            Nikhil.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 29, 2000
                              On 30 Mar 2000, at 12:01, Atul Negi wrote:

                              > My char anna worth of thoughts for the list:
                              > Is it proper to have job offers floating around on this list?

                              Prof - the Linux India list has a policy -

                              Commercial posts (job offers, ads for software on linux ...) are
                              allowed but MUST be clearly marked with a "COMMERCIAL" tag.
                              Offenders are warned the first time and thrown out of the list if they
                              repeat this again.

                              List owners : Pls consider implementing this policy

                              thanks
                              suresh

                              Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
                              Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
                              If you treat men the way they are you never improve them.
                              If you treat them the way you want them to be, you do.
                              -- Goethe
                            • Nick Hill
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 30, 2000
                                I wonder who the moderator is! ;-)

                                Nikhil.

                                --- Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh@...> wrote:

                                > On 30 Mar 2000, at 12:01, Atul Negi wrote:
                                >
                                > > My char anna worth of thoughts for the list:
                                > > Is it proper to have job offers floating around on
                                > this list?
                                >
                                > Prof - the Linux India list has a policy -
                                >
                                > Commercial posts (job offers, ads for software on
                                > linux ...) are
                                > allowed but MUST be clearly marked with a
                                > "COMMERCIAL" tag.
                                > Offenders are warned the first time and thrown out
                                > of the list if they
                                > repeat this again.
                                >
                                > List owners : Pls consider implementing this policy
                                >
                                > thanks
                                > suresh
                                >
                                > Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
                                > Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
                                > If you treat men the way they are you never
                                > improve them.
                                > If you treat them the way you want them to be,
                                > you do.
                                > -- Goethe

                                > Check out http://linuxindia.virtualave.net and
                                > http://www.exocore.com/linux for PCQ RH6.1 and
                                > Linux
                                > Related FAQs

                                > LOW RATE, NO WAIT!
                                > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates
                                > as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden
                                > fees.
                                > Learn more at:

                                > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ilughyd&m=1

                                http://im.yahoo.com
                              • Nick Hill
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 30, 2000
                                  --- Atul Negi <atulcs@...> wrote:
                                  > why should someone post a uuencoded version of the
                                  > config on the list?
                                  > Could it not have been posted privately?

                                  I guess Suresh *could* have posted his config to me
                                  pvtly... i shud've asked him to do it pvtly... sorry
                                  sir.

                                  > I used Alien to convert the Staroffice into .deb and
                                  > tried an install on
                                  > CorelLinux. That is it installed to a /opt
                                  > directory. But it did not
                                  > work. Any sugesstions?

                                  I think the PATH is not setup properly sir. please try
                                  to go directly to /opt/So.../bin and try to ./so from
                                  there... if it works, i think u can just goto u're
                                  /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add the /opt/So.../bin to u're
                                  PATH. U seem to be using debian. I dunno which file
                                  the PATH is assigned, but i guess u can just do a
                                  export PATH=$PATH:/opt/So.../bin
                                  to get SO working...

                                  Nikhil.

                                  http://im.yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 30, 2000
                                    Who, me? I didn't post any such thing ... pls clarify.

                                    On 30 Mar 2000, at 3:15, Nick Hill wrote:

                                    > I guess Suresh *could* have posted his config to me
                                    > pvtly... i shud've asked him to do it pvtly... sorry
                                    > sir.

                                    Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
                                    Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
                                    Improvement makes straight roads; but the crooked
                                    roads without improvement are roads of genius.
                                    -- William Blake
                                  • Atul Negi
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 30, 2000
                                      My char anna worth of thoughts for the list:
                                      Is it proper to have job offers floating around on this list?
                                      why should someone post a uuencoded version of the config on the list?
                                      Could it not have been posted privately?

                                      Other thoughts: Mukhi versus Kanitker. Its good to see some desi books
                                      but the production quality of either needs to improve a lot. Other thing
                                      is that many people use Kanitkars book to learn C. !!!! Actually it saturates
                                      them with Turbo C and DOS. There are several other good books and lets not start
                                      a war by touting our favorite ones. Newbies should instead learn proper coding
                                      style and not think that fancy DOS tricks makes them a good programmer.

                                      I used Alien to convert the Staroffice into .deb and tried an install on
                                      CorelLinux. That is it installed to a /opt directory. But it did not
                                      work. Any sugesstions?

                                      Atul Negi
                                    • Nick Hill
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 31, 2000
                                        i think u put u're conf.modules, et al.. here...
                                        ....or.... was it me? ;-)

                                        http://im.yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 31, 2000
                                          Not me. And my conf.modules is just six lines anyway.

                                          Did someone post xf86config?

                                          On 31 Mar 2000, at 1:49, Nick Hill wrote:

                                          > i think u put u're conf.modules, et al.. here...
                                          > ....or.... was it me? ;-)

                                          Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh (@) kcircle.com
                                          Friday@... + http://www.kcircle.com
                                          Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards