[TwinCLinG] HP DAT DRIVE CONFIGURATION HELP REQD

  • rajgopal gundgurti
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
      Hi
      I want to configure HP DAT drive in Linux 6.1
      The model of HP DAT drive HP SURE STORE DAT 24. RedHat 6.1 is detecting the
      SCSI BusLogic card I have and it is also detecting the HP DAT drive. But I
      am unable to mount or format the tape.

      Please help me.
      Rajgopal

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
        On 2 Dec 99, at 5:46, thus spake rajgopal gundgurti:

        > I want to configure HP DAT drive in Linux 6.1 The model of HP DAT
        > drive HP SURE STORE DAT 24. RedHat 6.1 is detecting the SCSI
        > BusLogic card I have and it is also detecting > the HP DAT drive.
        > But I am unable to mount or format the tape.

        I think the device name for this is /dev/rmt0 - what did you use as
        the device name? If redhat detects everything properly, then there
        is no reason the tape should not work.

        # mkdir /mnt/tape
        # mount /dev/rmt0 /mnt/tape

        That should do I think.

        Suresh Ramasubramanian
        106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
        Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
        Suresh@... | Suresh@...
        http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
        -- Clarke's Third Law:
      • Bhyrava Prasad
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
          Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

          > On 2 Dec 99, at 5:46, thus spake rajgopal gundgurti:
          >
          > > I want to configure HP DAT drive in Linux 6.1 The model of HP DAT
          > > drive HP SURE STORE DAT 24. RedHat 6.1 is detecting the SCSI
          > > BusLogic card I have and it is also detecting > the HP DAT drive.
          > > But I am unable to mount or format the tape.
          >
          > I think the device name for this is /dev/rmt0 - what did you use as
          > the device name? If redhat detects everything properly, then there
          > is no reason the tape should not work.
          >
          > # mkdir /mnt/tape
          > # mount /dev/rmt0 /mnt/tape

          See 'man st'. Tape is a char device , not a block device.
          So you cannot mount or mkfs it.

          Try a tar to /dev/st0 - for example
          tar cvf /dev/st0 /home

          You can check if the tar went through with
          tar tvf /dev/st0

          Also , see 'man mt' for further info on tape related commands.

          AFAIK, HP surestore works just fine with Linux.

          - Bhyrav Prasad
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 1999
            my mistake :-(

            On 3 Dec 99, at 12:33, thus spake Bhyrava Prasad:

            > See 'man st'. Tape is a char device , not a block device.
            > So you cannot mount or mkfs it.

            Suresh Ramasubramanian
            106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
            Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
            Suresh@... | Suresh@...
            http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
            It is just the cigarette which smokes - you are just the sucker.