WAP compatible wireless cards

  • cvasant
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013

      I am trying to set up a wifi hotspot on my Fedora 17 which is cable connected to the internet. Want to share the internet connection with mobile devices. Will be using hostapd for this purpose.

      I read that not all wireless cards are capable of supporting WAP/master mode. Some of the cards mentioned as capable of WAP are not available in Hyderabad/India.

      Does anyone know of a model of PCI wifi card which supports 'master mode'. The material on this suggests use of cards based on the Atheros chipset. How do I check that before buying the card?

      Any suggestion of PCI wifi card models that I can use?

      Thanks in advance

      Vasanth
    • राम् ராம் ram
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013
        TP Link Wireless cards use Atheros.

        You might want to check this out:
        http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_chipset.php?chipset=Atheros
        http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=TP-Link

        You can search by chipset/manufacturer/brand etc. And you can check if
        there is support in linux.
        http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

        I'm not sure about 'master mode' though.

        Hope this helps.

        Regards,
        Ram
        --

        --
        Hunting the 'I'

      • cvasant
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013
          Thanks Ram, I see several familiar brands in the list.
          Vasanth