[Slightly OT] VPI & VCI for ADSL Connections

  • theju
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2011
      Recently, while configuring the BSNL Broadband connection for a neighbour, I came across the necessity to enter the VPI (Virtual Path Identifier) and VCI (Virtual Circuit Identifier) values in the router administration.

      From what I have gathered from a quick reading of Wikipedia [1] is that these values are used to help connect to an ISP and route packets either from network to network or from user to network. Can someone explain with a few more details on what these parameters are?

      Why are these values constant for everyone if they are used for routing?

      [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asynchronous_Transfer_Mode#Why_virtual_circuits.3F

      --
      Cheers
      Theju