Re: [TwinCLinG] Formalising ILUG, revisited

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2000
      Indraneel Majumdar [Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 08:48:31PM -0700]:

      > Yes you are right, but (according to me) it is impossible for Nikhil or
      > Raghuram to approve of the joint ILUG decision on behalf of ILUGHYD if

      As long as someone _does_ get on li-reg ASAP it will be great.

      And someone mail the ilug-bangalore people and talk things over so that at
      least some lug presence is maintained, and things are not hijacked by someone
      like aryabhatt linux ...

      That can very well happen, you know ..

      --
      Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh@...
      Friday@... + http://kcircle.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2000
        On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 08:26:48PM -0700, Indraneel Majumdar wrote:
        > Dr. Bhat wants to know whether we approve ILUG Bangalore to represent ILUG
        > this time. We really have no reason to object since they are at this time
        > in a position to take charge, and we are not. The matter is only awaiting
        > approval from ILUGHYD. I propose we approve and let Dr. Bhat know within
        > the week. if anyone has any better idea/proposal/solution kindly post to
        > the list.

        i guess we dont have much of a choice... :\

        > If Nikhil is on the list and is reading this mail, I am asking him whether
        > he is ready to become the official representative. Many people have
        > expressed the same opinion and none have objected so far, neither
        > Nikhil himself. Kindly reply to the list.

        I sent a mail to thaths, cuz i didn't want us to go unrepresented among the oth' LUGs, but looks
        like that ended u pnowhere... we _need_ a rep, and _pleeeez_ choose one, who as indra puts it,

        > For various reasons, it seems we do need a rep., who is willing to place
        > him/her self in the limelight and get his/her every action scrutinised.
        > Probably the person will have to be able to spend a lot of time
        > interacting not only on the list but also out of it. I really cannot see
        > any thing to be gained from that position except headaches, so anyone who
        > wants to devote time and energy and feels that he/she can shoulder the
        > reponsibility please speak now. If you do represent the list for some time
        > and are unable to carry on later for any reason, the burden/joy can always
        > be shifted to some more/less/equally suitable person.

        i'm all fer it. Abstaining from li-reg will get us nowhere, and will pull away any chances we have
        to voice our opinions on li-reg.

        Let me remind all of u that agreeing to join li-reg _doesn't_ mean that we're agreeing to the
        formalisation. Its still in discussion, and we can put forward our arguments too. Lets, wait for
        the final result... Unless one of us is on the list, there's no telling what's going on...

        > Hoping we can decide soon (and this does not turn out for ilughyd and ilug
        > like it happened for India and the rest of the world in the Human genome
        > sequencing project)

        i already stressed this fact in some of my previous mails. We need a better response timing on this
        list. guys, why dont u treat the list more like an activity group, rather than a consulting agency?

        Nikhil.

        > Thanks,
        > Indraneel

      • Indraneel Majumdar
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2000

          On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, V S Ashoka wrote:

          > > > From: "Gurunandan R. Bhat" <grbhat@...>
          > >
          > > > If you or your coordinator need any further clarification do get back to
          > > > me. You may forward this mail to him, but no further.
          > >
          > > I think Guru wanted you to forward this to Nikhil or Raghuram, not the list ;)
          > >
          > Yes. But I guess this is a result of the fact that we don't have a
          > rep. yet. (or has Nikhil agreed to become the `bakra'? - it may not have
          > been officially notified to LI.?)
          > Ashok

          /************************************************************************.
          # Indraneel Majumdar ¡ E-mail: indraneel@... #
          # Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node), ¡ URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com #
          # Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, #
          # Hyderabad, India - 500076 #
          `************************************************************************/
        • Indraneel Majumdar
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2000
            Yes you are right, but (according to me) it is impossible for Nikhil or
            Raghuram to approve of the joint ILUG decision on behalf of ILUGHYD if
            they have not been chosen for the post. Similiarly, the issue being
            something that affects all of ILUGHYD, I feel that all of ILUGHYD should
            know about the request for approval, whether we have any representative or
            not. I feel that even a representative is required to put a matter on the
            list about which he/she is making a decision on the list's behalf and make
            it clear to the outside agency that it is so. Probably a representative
            cannot represent well if he/she starts making decisions by assuming the
            list's response. A representative is there to simply represent a group
            (which in itself is a difficult and noble job) and not to stiffle it's
            variety. Since the mail was addressed to me, I am required to opt for the
            best course of action (according to me) based on it's content.

            I do not demand, but it is certainly my right to know of anything which
            affects me as a list member. I believe it is the same with all the members
            here.

            Thanks
            Indraneel