[TwinCLinG] Formalising ILUG, revisited [Was: Re: Hello from Indraneel (fwd)]

  • Raghuram Vijapurapu
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5 7:19 AM
      Hey thats news!!! And are we out of LI ????

      So what are these guys upto ???

      Dr.Partha I think we need to do something about this. We cant just let them
      dump us as we are against Formalising the LUG.

      Methinks we will have to start a _flame_ war on LIG now Immediately.

      Regards

      Raghuram Vijapurapu

      As you might already know, there has been a move to give Linux
      India a more formal structure by registering it as an organiation that
      would promote *national* Linux related initiatives in India. A
      constitution that would achieve this as well as protect and foster full
      autonomy of LUGS is currently being worked out in a semi-private mailing
      list of LUG coordinators.

      I understand that the ILUG-HYD mailing list decided not to
      participate in this process because they do not see many benefits in
      formalising LI. I respect that decision, however there is an allied
      problem that has come up for which I need your help: As you might be
      aware, an annual IT event IT.com is organised in Bangalore where PC-Quest
      usually sponsors a LInux-centred pavillion. This year, PC-Quest would
      prefer to deal with and have the pavillion in the name of a national Linux
      body. But the catch is: Linux-India has not completed the formalisation
      process and will not finish this in time for the stall bookings and other
      formal requirements to be completed. I have suggested a way out of this
      impasse to other LUG coordinators on the semi-private mailing list. But
      since the HYD LUG is not participating in that list, I have no way of
      informing them.

      My suggestion is this: All LUG coordinators write to the LI-General
      mailing list and to PC-Quest (if reqd) that they would authorise
      ILUG-Bangalore to handle any matter related to IT.com, for this year, on
      behalf of other LUGs. Next years IT.com will be handled through LI which
      should be registered by that time. Almost all LUG coordinators on the
      semi-private list have seconded this suggestion. A few responses are still
      awaited.

      This would not change anything since the Bangalore guys handled it anyway
      last year anyway. It would serve the purpose of giving the ILUG-Bangalore
      a legitimacy from a national perspective to the satisfaction of PC-Quest.
      This is imperative because IT.com does give an opportunity to showcase the
      Linux community in India and it would be sad if we miss this opportunity
      due to delays in forming a National Linux organisation.

      Could you then speak to your LUG coordinator and request him to write to
      LI-General saying that he has no objection if ILUG-Bangalore handles
      IT.com for this year, pending the registeration Linux India as a national
      body?

      If you or your coordinator need any further clarification do get back to
      me. You may forward this mail to him, but no further.

      Thank you and regards,

      Gurunandan

      [Raghuram Vijapurapu][raghuram@...]
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5 8:37 AM
        Indraneel Majumdar [Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 08:48:31PM -0700]:

        > Yes you are right, but (according to me) it is impossible for Nikhil or
        > Raghuram to approve of the joint ILUG decision on behalf of ILUGHYD if

        As long as someone _does_ get on li-reg ASAP it will be great.

        And someone mail the ilug-bangalore people and talk things over so that at
        least some lug presence is maintained, and things are not hijacked by someone
        like aryabhatt linux ...

        That can very well happen, you know ..

        --
        Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh@...
        Friday@... + http://kcircle.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5 9:02 AM
          On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 08:26:48PM -0700, Indraneel Majumdar wrote:
          > Dr. Bhat wants to know whether we approve ILUG Bangalore to represent ILUG
          > this time. We really have no reason to object since they are at this time
          > in a position to take charge, and we are not. The matter is only awaiting
          > approval from ILUGHYD. I propose we approve and let Dr. Bhat know within
          > the week. if anyone has any better idea/proposal/solution kindly post to
          > the list.

          i guess we dont have much of a choice... :\

          > If Nikhil is on the list and is reading this mail, I am asking him whether
          > he is ready to become the official representative. Many people have
          > expressed the same opinion and none have objected so far, neither
          > Nikhil himself. Kindly reply to the list.

          I sent a mail to thaths, cuz i didn't want us to go unrepresented among the oth' LUGs, but looks
          like that ended u pnowhere... we _need_ a rep, and _pleeeez_ choose one, who as indra puts it,

          > For various reasons, it seems we do need a rep., who is willing to place
          > him/her self in the limelight and get his/her every action scrutinised.
          > Probably the person will have to be able to spend a lot of time
          > interacting not only on the list but also out of it. I really cannot see
          > any thing to be gained from that position except headaches, so anyone who
          > wants to devote time and energy and feels that he/she can shoulder the
          > reponsibility please speak now. If you do represent the list for some time
          > and are unable to carry on later for any reason, the burden/joy can always
          > be shifted to some more/less/equally suitable person.

          i'm all fer it. Abstaining from li-reg will get us nowhere, and will pull away any chances we have
          to voice our opinions on li-reg.

          Let me remind all of u that agreeing to join li-reg _doesn't_ mean that we're agreeing to the
          formalisation. Its still in discussion, and we can put forward our arguments too. Lets, wait for
          the final result... Unless one of us is on the list, there's no telling what's going on...

          > Hoping we can decide soon (and this does not turn out for ilughyd and ilug
          > like it happened for India and the rest of the world in the Human genome
          > sequencing project)

          i already stressed this fact in some of my previous mails. We need a better response timing on this
          list. guys, why dont u treat the list more like an activity group, rather than a consulting agency?

          Nikhil.

          > Thanks,
          > Indraneel

        • Indraneel Majumdar
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5 8:26 PM

            On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, V S Ashoka wrote:

            > > > From: "Gurunandan R. Bhat" <grbhat@...>
            > >
            > > > If you or your coordinator need any further clarification do get back to
            > > > me. You may forward this mail to him, but no further.
            > >
            > > I think Guru wanted you to forward this to Nikhil or Raghuram, not the list ;)
            > >
            > Yes. But I guess this is a result of the fact that we don't have a
            > rep. yet. (or has Nikhil agreed to become the `bakra'? - it may not have
            > been officially notified to LI.?)
            > Ashok

            /************************************************************************.
            # Indraneel Majumdar ¡ E-mail: indraneel@... #
            # Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node), ¡ URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com #
            # Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, #
            # Hyderabad, India - 500076 #
            `************************************************************************/
          • Indraneel Majumdar
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5 8:48 PM
              Yes you are right, but (according to me) it is impossible for Nikhil or
              Raghuram to approve of the joint ILUG decision on behalf of ILUGHYD if
              they have not been chosen for the post. Similiarly, the issue being
              something that affects all of ILUGHYD, I feel that all of ILUGHYD should
              know about the request for approval, whether we have any representative or
              not. I feel that even a representative is required to put a matter on the
              list about which he/she is making a decision on the list's behalf and make
              it clear to the outside agency that it is so. Probably a representative
              cannot represent well if he/she starts making decisions by assuming the
              list's response. A representative is there to simply represent a group
              (which in itself is a difficult and noble job) and not to stiffle it's
              variety. Since the mail was addressed to me, I am required to opt for the
              best course of action (according to me) based on it's content.

              I do not demand, but it is certainly my right to know of anything which
              affects me as a list member. I believe it is the same with all the members
              here.

              Thanks
              Indraneel