[OT] Reliable SMTP gateway ?

  • K.C. Ramakrishna
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2011
      We run a *very* restricted website where people register with their email ids. We need to send confirmatory emails when they register.

      We were using google-apps till now but traffic has increased and we are looking for a reliable email provider to send approx ~ 100 emails per day and occasionally 500-1000 emails per day (during new customer acquisitions).

      This is not SPAM as this is strictly opt-in.

      We are willing to pay standard rates and are looking for reliable email gateways and not fly-by-night operators.

      Google search is not really useful as we cannot verify the authenticity. Please suggest ones that you have used in the past.

      Thanks,
      kc
      --
      K. C. Ramakrishna

      www.rknowsys.com

    • Phani Kumar Arava
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2011
        You have mutliple options.

        1) You have to configure your mail server with DKIM, DK SPF records ... and
        talk to some of the providers like yahoo, on why they are moving it to spam.
        (Still a tough job)

        2) Talk to some providers like netcore to provide reliable mail service.
        COnfigure your postfix to send your confirmatory emails (or password emails,
        which i do like this) through them.

        Send me a mail directly if you need any help .

        Regards
        Phani Arava

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2011
          Maybe not netcore depending on where his servers are hosted

          --
          srs (blackberry)

          1) You have to configure your mail server with DKIM, DK SPF records ... and
          talk to some of the providers like yahoo, on why they are moving it to spam.
          (Still a tough job)

          2) Talk to some providers like netcore to provide reliable mail service.
          COnfigure your postfix to send your confirmatory emails (or password emails,
          which i do like this) through them.

          Send me a mail directly if you need any help .

          Regards
          Phani Arava

          On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 3:27 AM, K.C. Ramakrishna <kcramakrishna@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > We run a *very* restricted website where people register with their email
          > ids. We need to send confirmatory emails when they register.
          >
          > We were using google-apps till now but traffic has increased and we are
          > looking for a reliable email provider to send approx ~ 100 emails per day
          > and occasionally 500-1000 emails per day (during new customer acquisitions).
          >
          > This is not SPAM as this is strictly opt-in.
          >
          > We are willing to pay standard rates and are looking for reliable email
          > gateways and not fly-by-night operators.
          >
          > Google search is not really useful as we cannot verify the authenticity.
          > Please suggest ones that you have used in the past.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > kc
          > --
          > K. C. Ramakrishna
          >
          > www.rknowsys.com

        • Phani Kumar Arava
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2011
            Have had decent results with them. Atleast for my confirmation/password
            emails.

            But Suresh , you are a better person to judge and u can throw some light how
            this ppl are doing it. I know they use DKIM, DK and SPF records. I have also
            used them but in vain.

            Majorly had issues with yahoo, rediff. Google and other providers have taken
            DKIM and SPF very well. Talking to yahoo was one option, but u know how it
            works. Iam not a major email provider, so they will be no intrested to talk
            to me. (Or you have to find the right guy in yahoo / rediff)

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 6, 2011
              Yahoo / Google and other large ISPs have processes. I do know "the right
              guy" at most of these places but even they will insist, quite rightly, that
              I follow the appropriate process if I have a filter issue I need to discuss
              with them. So doesn't really matter if you are a smaller provider.

              Just doing spf / dkim isn't enough.. if you host sites that send out
              mailing lists, marketing email etc, you should have the ability and will to
              control your customers.

              That's why I would recommend a few US based sites (no business affiliation
              with my current or past employers, but I do know their track record).

              constantcontact.net for example, or exacttarget.com

              They also include various bits of subscription management ..

              If you want outbound relay solely for your registration emails there are
              sites like smtp.com and authsmtp.com that you might look at.

              Phani Kumar Arava [07/07/11 06:34 +0530]:

            • K.C. Ramakrishna
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2011
                --- On Thu, 7/7/11, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh@...> wrote:

                > From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh@...>

                > If you want outbound relay solely for your registration emails there are
                > sites like smtp.com and authsmtp.com that you might look at.

                Thanks for the ref. I registered with smtp.com
                They sent me something called SPF record -
                ---- SPF record: "v=spf1 include:_spf.smtp.com ?all" ----

                Did some googling.
                Now I went to godaddy and tried to put it in. Pls confirm if I did it right.
                In the DNS-manager
                "Add record" -> "Select SPF" -> "Select 'an ISP or other mail provider'" -> "Selected tab 'Outbound'" -> "Entered the full text 'v=spf1 include:_spf.smtp.com ?all'" and then saved, also saved the zone file.

                Is that all? Any mistakes? Also how do I verify this is correctly configured?

                Thanks,
                kc

                K. C. Ramakrishna
                www.rknowsys.com
              • K.C. Ramakrishna
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2011

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7, 2011
                    K.C. Ramakrishna [07/07/11 01:31 -0700]:
                    >Thanks for the ref. I registered with smtp.com
                    >They sent me something called SPF record -
                    >---- SPF record: "v=spf1 include:_spf.smtp.com ?all" ----

                    not that spf records are all that useful now but the record as it stands is
                    correct, just "your mail passes through servers in smtp.com's spf record
                    but may originate from elsewhere as well"

                    If you have any other smtp server you send mail from add that server's IP /
                    IP range in there
                  • Mehul Ved
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 7, 2011
                      On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM, K.C. Ramakrishna <kcramakrishna@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >
                      > Is that all? Any mistakes? Also how do I verify this is correctly
                      > configured?

                      $ dig TXT yourdomain.name

                      --
                      With Regards,
                      Mehul Ved

                    • theju
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 7, 2011
                        --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, "K.C. Ramakrishna" <kcramakrishna@...> wrote:

                        > We run a *very* restricted website where people register with their email ids. We need to send confirmatory emails when they register.
                        >
                        > We were using google-apps till now but traffic has increased and we are looking for a reliable email provider to send approx ~ 100 emails per day and occasionally 500-1000 emails per day (during new customer acquisitions).
                        >
                        > This is not SPAM as this is strictly opt-in.
                        >
                        > We are willing to pay standard rates and are looking for reliable email gateways and not fly-by-night operators.

                        Have used and would recommend:
                        * Sendgrid (http://sendgrid.com/)
                        * Postmark (http://postmarkapp.com/)

                        > Google search is not really useful as we cannot verify the authenticity. Please suggest ones that you have used in the past.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > kc
                        > --
                        > K. C. Ramakrishna
                        >
                        > www.rknowsys.com

                      • theju
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 7, 2011
                          Resending my message for the third time and hoping it makes it this time.

                          --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, "K.C. Ramakrishna" <kcramakrishna@...> wrote:

                          > We run a *very* restricted website where people register with their email ids. We need to send confirmatory emails when they register.
                          >
                          > We were using google-apps till now but traffic has increased and we are looking for a reliable email provider to send approx ~ 100 emails per day and occasionally 500-1000 emails per day (during new customer acquisitions).
                          >
                          > This is not SPAM as this is strictly opt-in.
                          >
                          > We are willing to pay standard rates and are looking for reliable email gateways and not fly-by-night operators.

                          I have used and recommend: