Help altering multiboot setup

  • cvasant
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2011

      I have a multiboot system using WinXP, Fedora and Ubuntu. The last one installed was Ubuntu on /dev/sda8 and the bootloader uses the grub.cfg on /dev/sda8 partition which was installed by Ubuntu.

      I want to remove Ubuntu and use that partition for data but continue to use multiboot with WinXP & Fedora options. The grub.conf which I used prior to installing Ubuntu is intact in /boot/grub/grub.conf on /dev/sda1

      I can remove the /dev/sda8 partition using fdisk but how can I make the system use the /boot/grub/grub.conf I used earlier?

      Thanks in advance

      C. Vasanth
    • cvasant
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2011

        I am not sure what I did but now the system reads the old grub.conf file which gives me an option of WinXP and Fedora.

        I would still like to know how this is done as I might need this some time.

        Regards

        Vasanth

      • G.D.Naidu
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2011
          This link may help you.

          సాదరంగా,

          గం. దా. నాయుడు

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2011
            --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, "cvasant" <cvasanth@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have a multiboot system using WinXP, Fedora and Ubuntu. The last one installed was Ubuntu on /dev/sda8 and the bootloader uses the grub.cfg on /dev/sda8 partition which was installed by Ubuntu.
            >
            > I want to remove Ubuntu and use that partition for data but continue to use multiboot with WinXP & Fedora options. The grub.conf which I used prior to installing Ubuntu is intact in /boot/grub/grub.conf on /dev/sda1
            >
            > I can remove the /dev/sda8 partition using fdisk but how can I make the system use the /boot/grub/grub.conf I used earlier?

            Login to fedora and do a grub-install as root.

            grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sda

            The above command installs grub into the MBR (Master Boot Record) and uses /boot as the boot point.

            > Thanks in advance
            >
            > C. Vasanth

          • cvasant
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2011