I am looking for a CentOS 5.4/5.5 DVD distro..

  • saverahul
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28 1:58 AM

      I intend to use CentOS 5.5 DVD. I stay and work around Madhapur.

      Any sources for the disks out there?

      Regards,
      Venkata Rahul, Satuluri
    • krish
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2010
        On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM, saverahul <rahul.satuluri@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I intend to use CentOS 5.5 DVD. I stay and work around Madhapur.
        >
        > Any sources for the disks out there?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Venkata Rahul, Satuluri

        I might have a 5.4. Will check and let you know

        --
        krish

      • Surya Undamatla
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2010
          Hi

          I am also looking for a Linux CD for my Training institute. Also if some body can suggest the minimum configurations ( memory/diskspace and P4 or Dual Core etc)
          it will be great.

          Thanks
          USMurthy
          98499-83978

          ________________________________
          > I intend to use CentOS 5.5 DVD. I stay and work around Madhapur.
          >
          > Any sources for the disks out there?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Venkata Rahul, Satuluri

          I might have a 5.4. Will check and let you know

          --
          krish

        • pavithran s
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2010
            On 25 June 2010 09:46, Surya Undamatla <murthy_undamatla@...> wrote:
            > I am also looking for a Linux CD for my Training institute. Also if some body can suggest the minimum configurations ( memory/diskspace and P4 or Dual Core etc)
            > it will be great.

            I personally would recommend debian GNU/Linux[1] for any machine as it
            runs very stable on a wide variet of platforms .

            But since you are mentioning a training institute and if you are
            training for RHCE .
            RHCE training:
            Its always good to have support from Redhat . You can contact the
            Indian office of Redhat . More details at
            http://www.apac.redhat.com/training/

            If you want to start small you can run CentOS[2] which is free of cost
            and regarding hardware CentOS will run on p4 with 512 MB ram ( also on
            256 but a bit slow )

            Linux training : If you want a distro for training institute
            independent of RHCE course . then ahppily go for Debian squeeze which
            IMHO is very stable thouh is in testing will become Debian stable soon
            . Squeeze will be better than lenny( the current stable) because of
            new packages .

            OT on your training if you are looking for some Linux based courses do
            have a look at FOSS electives& books from NRCFOSS[3][4] . you can
            fine tune some of them for your needs.
            1. Debian Install guide http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/
            2. CentOS http://www.centos.org/
            3. http://www.nrcfoss.au-kbc.org.in/down/5/
            4. http://www.nrcfoss.au-kbc.org.in/down/3/

            Regards,
            Pavithran
          • krish
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 25, 2010
              On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Surya Undamatla <murthy_undamatla@...
              > wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > I am also looking for a Linux CD for my Training institute. Also if some
              > body can suggest the minimum configurations ( memory/diskspace and P4 or
              > Dual Core etc)
              > it will be great.

              I recommend CentOS for training institute if you are into sys admin
              trainings.
              If you are into development training use either Fedora/Ubuntu/Debian.

              CentOS can run on 128MB RAM, 1.0 Ghz Atom and 5GB disk too; but then it
              needs to be stripped down for speed.
              Let us know what you will use the linux machines for (desktop for training
              or central server for training), depending on that you could scale up the
              RAM and processor.

              I'll recommend running multiple, disposable VM's on a powerful box.

              --
              krish

            • Surya Undamatla
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 28, 2010
                Thank you all. I could download ubuntu and start with a live CD . It took me 7 hours to download about 670 MB iso file.

                But the Debian and CentOS images are about 4GB size. Any reason for this much difference.
                Any method to download Debian and CentOS in 670 CD sizes?

                Regards
                USMurthy

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
                  On 28 June 2010 22:19, Surya Undamatla <murthy_undamatla@...> wrote:
                  > Thank you all. I could download ubuntu and start with a live CD . It took me 7 >hours to download about 670 MB iso file.
                  If you are happy with ubuntu continue using it till you get some
                  understanding . Ubuntu is the easiest way to start your FOSS journey
                  :)
                  Also check out Linux mint http://www.linuxmint.com/

                  > But the Debian and CentOS images are about 4GB size. Any reason for this much difference.
                  > Any method to download Debian and CentOS in 670 CD sizes?

                  Debian entire repo is huge with " Stats on sid... 29812 packages, 2155
                  maintainers, 96139 MB installed size, 35920 MB compressed size"
                  Ubuntu in this case bundles selectively "some" software which suits
                  its "Linux for Human beings" motto .

                  Best would be a net install where the CD comes with a minimum set of
                  packages to start an install over the network . Same is the case with
                  fedora .
                  If you want to go the easy way download only the first CD which would
                  have the basic desktop like in ubuntu .
                  You have choices of Desktop environments
                  KDE:

                  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso

                  Gnome:
                  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-CD-1.iso

                  XFCE+LXDE: ( suitable for minimal installation)

                  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso

                  After installing CD1 . you can install other softwares from internet
                  via apt-get . http://www.aboutdebian.com/packages.htm could guide you
                  .

                  Debian installation guide has lot of info