[OT] Safer domain search

  • K.C. Ramakrishna
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hi all,

      I have been searching for a domain name for a new service we were planning to launch. I shortlisted a few good ones which were available and went back to register them the next week. To my surprise, I found them not available. These are not common names - they are very specific to a niche service and I doubted that somebody else would have thought the of same names at the exact same time.

      On googling, I found that Network solutions and some other registrars do something called 'front-running' where they basically block all domain names that were searched for and force you to pay more.

      There is a work around to this - Use
      http://instantdomainsearch.com/
      http://www.saferwhois.com/

      Hope this helps somebody.

      Thanks,
      kc
      K. C. Ramakrishna
    • Rajesh
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
        Hi K.C,

        I did find this trend mostly with network solutions where he sells these domains back for a premium. Thank you for providing safe domain search urls.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
          What they are doing is illegal under Uniform Domain Naming Policy, its cybersquatting.
          Google recently won one such dispute filed with World Intellectual Property
          Organisation (WIPO) Arbitration and Mediation Center
          more on it here: http://www.domainnews.com/en/google-wins-domain-name-case.html

          Regards
          Cheedhu
          http://www.cheedhu.name

          P.S. No flame wars on the term 'Intellectual Property' please :-p