DVD drive overheating

  • mjnegi
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2009
      HI folks,
      well, I have an Old HP brio of 1999 vintage,
      PIII, 450Mhz, 256 MB.
      with a 20GB disc and a 40GB, hardwired to look like 32GB (max the bios can detect)
      been trying to install linux, run VCD/DVD and find that the DVD is really overheating to the extent that it stops working, the Cd in the drive gets real hot to touch.
      this seems to be happening only in the Linux case. in windows it worked fine.
      any help / suggestions?

      sometimes, while booting through CD/DVD distro, it's keyboard hangs, but not after the OS is installed.

      well, I really am using it more like a TV with an external TV tuner card piped to its old, 17" monitor. the sharpness of image and hues of colors puts real, younger TV 's to shame.

      well, think I will install Geekbox or Knoppix. have Mandriva 2009 installed on it, right now, it pauses to think a while before activating the program. after you click.

      thanks and regards
      Negi, Madhav

      PS: Big Video CD's have their own vcd/DVD player that works great on Windows, but are useless on Linux.