wondering why no 64bit on my machine?

  • mjnegi
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2009
      dear folks,
      I have the below configuration, and thought I should be able to run a 64bit Linux, but it aint running. ubuntu 64bit gives some table error, Mandriva only goes with 586 stuff. but I think the kernel runs 686.

      looking for an explanation as to why it wont or what I am doing wrong and what to diagnore and rectify to make it run.

      CPU: an AMDPhenom X3
      motherboard: Gigabyte M61PME-S2 (comes with builtin 256MB Nvidia GPU)
      with an external GPU-nvidia, 512MB.
      4GB 64 bit ram, DDR, "unganged" says the boot screen

      observations: the broadband speed is much better than in Windows. the onboard GPU manages all the networking.

      so what should I be checking about my mother board to make it go 64?
      is the assumption that it can do 64 correct in the first place?
      ought I to download and execute some motherboard patches?

      thanks guys
      regards
      Negi, Madhav.