Re: [TwinCLinG] RMS is comming to Hyderabad

  • Kenneth Gonsalves
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 22, 2008
      On Monday 22 Dec 2008 7:46:46 pm Bharathi Subramanian wrote:
      > > Richard M.Stallman the founder of the Free Software Foundation and the
      > > GNU project is coming to Hyderabad on 22nd December 2008.
      >
      > I am really SAD to see, this kind of impt message is reaching at last
      > moment. Many people in India might be interest to listen and arrange
      > RMS talk in their areas. If his plan was already informed, then it
      > will help them to plan-out something :(

      certain people seem to consider RMS as their private property and are
      unwilling to share him with others. As a result complete secrecy is kept on
      his movements with only last minute announcements to LUGs. As a result - poor
      audiences everywhere.

      Kenneth Gonsalves
      Associate
      NRC-FOSS
      http://nrcfosshelpline.in/web/
    • satyaakam goswami
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
        On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves
        <lawgon@...>wrote:

        > On Monday 22 Dec 2008 7:46:46 pm Bharathi Subramanian wrote:
        > > > Richard M.Stallman the founder of the Free Software Foundation and the
        > > > GNU project is coming to Hyderabad on 22nd December 2008.
        > >
        > > I am really SAD to see, this kind of impt message is reaching at last
        > > moment. Many people in India might be interest to listen and arrange
        > > RMS talk in their areas. If his plan was already informed, then it
        > > will help them to plan-out something :(
        >
        > certain people seem to consider RMS as their private property and are
        > unwilling to share him with others. As a result complete secrecy is kept on
        > his movements with only last minute announcements to LUGs. As a result -
        > poor
        > audiences everywhere.

        agreed , anyway we were able to get him Just in time and Atul Jha was able
        to interview him ,i played the camera guy that day , will be publishing his
        interview pretty soon hope that will give some joy to we mortals .

        -Satya
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/satyaakam

      • srikrishna das
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
          >certain people seem to consider RMS as their private property and are
          >unwilling to share him with others. As a result complete secrecy is kept on
          >his movements with only last minute announcements to LUGs. As a result - poor
          >audiences everywhere.

          At least there was a huge crowd in Hyderabad.

          If you meant quality of audience?
          I had people yawning beside me and many people clapping and laughing when there was nothing to do so and vice versa.

          --
          krish

        • Kenneth Gonsalves
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
            On Tuesday 23 Dec 2008 8:13:42 pm srikrishna das wrote:
            > >certain people seem to consider RMS as their private property and are
            > >unwilling to share him with others. As a result complete secrecy is kept
            > > on his movements with only last minute announcements to LUGs. As a result
            > > - poor audiences everywhere.
            >
            > At least there was a huge crowd in Hyderabad.
            >
            > If you meant quality of audience?

            yes - the LUGs have the best quality of audience, and by and large, all over
            India, they were kept out.

            KG
            http://lawgon.livejournal.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
              Kenneth Gonsalves [24/12/08 07:33 +0530]:
              >yes - the LUGs have the best quality of audience, and by and large, all over
              >India, they were kept out.

              I know RMS a bit (met him once, interacted with him as member and this
              year, chair of the FSF free software / social benefits awards committee)

              Forwarded him this thread so he can comment if he likes.

              suresh
            • Dileep Kumar M [ദിലീപ് കു
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
                On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Shailender Thallam
                <shailender0435@...> wrote:

                > Richard M.Stallman the founder of the Free Software Foundation and the
                > GNU project is coming to Hyderabad on 22nd December 2008.

                Transcript of the speech available?

                --
                eMail: dileep.kumarayil (at) gmail.com
                www: http://kumarayil.googlepages.com

                "Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history. `Don't
                bother us with politics', respond those who don't want to learn." --
                Richard Stallman
              • Kenneth Gonsalves
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
                  On Wednesday 24 Dec 2008 7:56:50 am Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
                  > >yes - the LUGs have the best quality of audience, and by and large, all
                  > > over India, they were kept out.
                  >
                  > I know RMS a bit (met him once, interacted with him as member and this
                  > year, chair of the FSF free software / social benefits awards committee)
                  >
                  > Forwarded him this thread so he can comment if he likes.

                  and you could also point out to RMS that apart from a few heretics like me,
                  the vast majority of LUG members are good people who faithfully say
                  GNU/Linux ;-)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
                    Oh is it? I seem to recall that ilughyd explicitly told RMS some years back that it was specifically not a GNU-LUG. :)

                    I think that was the same case with ilugc? Don’t remember.

                    suresh

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
                      On Wednesday 24 Dec 2008 10:06:52 am Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
                      > Oh is it?  I seem to recall that ilughyd explicitly told RMS some years
                      > back that it was specifically not a GNU-LUG. :)
                      >
                      > I think that was the same case with ilugc?  Don’t remember.

                      dont know about hyderabad, but ILUGC website clearly mentions that it is a
                      GLUG - and Mumbai guys changed their name to accommodate RMS. And anyway, all
                      the people who are active in ILUGC are all die hard GNU fans (except yours
                      truly).

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 24, 2008
                        >and you could also point out to RMS that apart from a few heretics like me,
                        >the vast majority of LUG members are good people who faithfully say
                        >GNU/Linux ;-)

                        add me to the list :)

                      • Kenneth Gonsalves
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 24, 2008
                          On Wednesday 24 Dec 2008 8:44:19 pm srikrishna das wrote:
                          > >and you could also point out to RMS that apart from a few heretics like
                          > > me, the vast majority of LUG members are good people who faithfully say
                          > > GNU/Linux ;-)
                          >
                          > add me to the list :)

                          which one?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 25, 2008
                            I emailed RMS and suggested that he ask the local organizers of his program (FSF India) to let LUGs know much earlier than they have done before.

                            He says he will let them know.

                            suresh