Re: [TwinCLinG] Re: Any activity around the OLPC XO or Sugar?

  • Sameer Verma
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2008
      thejaswi_p_23 wrote:
      > --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Sameer Verma <sverma@...> wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >> I was wondering if there's been any talk in the group about the OLPC
      >> project (http://laptop.org/), its Fedora-based Sugar interface
      >> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar) or the XO laptop itself
      >> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO:_The_Children%27s_Machine).
      > November 2007 Agenda:
      > We did have a wonderful talk on the 2B1 machine in November, 2007 by
      > Tinku Sampath. A talk on the Sugar interface or the current status of
      > the project would be great.
      > --
      > Cheers
      > Theju

      One disadvantage of living away from Hyd is that I don't get to attend
      meetings or contribute.

      The OLPC-India group is making good progress. Some spaces to watch will
      be the Digital Bridge Foundation that is being set up by Reliance so
      that the project becomes more participative and open. The foundation
      will hopefully allow other organizations and individuals to be a part of
      the project in India. An event is planned for August 4, 2008. Details
      are at http://www.olpc.co.in/olpcindiaday/ Then there is the OLPC India
      Student Chapter which is quite interesting.

      There are a handful of small pilots going on in India, but that may all
      change quickly in the near future. Current pilot project list is up at

      Places where LUGs can help or contribute are of course with testing and
      debugging Sugar, but also with things like translation (see Telugu
      translation in progress at
      https://dev.laptop.org/translate/te/index.html), documentation,
      advocacy, and of course location-specific ideas for children's
      activities. In fact, if there is one showcase to see in terms of
      impressive progress, its OLPC Nepal. http://olpcnepal.org/

      . I'm also copying Arjun Sarwal (http://dev.laptop.org/~arjs/) and Amit
      Gogna (Reliance), who are quite instrumental in the project. Hyderabad
      is a great technology center. I think we (the LUG) can be significant
      contributors to the cause, especially because the project is FOSS based
      and very participatory, and LUG'ers are not new to the concept. In fact,
      if you think about LUGs a bit, LUGs are not Linux orgs - they are
      educational orgs, where the topic simply seems to be Linux and related

      I am incredibly excited about the possibility of children using
      FOSS-based learning platforms to further their education.

      Disclaimer: I don't work for any of these organizations. I am just an
      OLPC and FOSS enthusiast.

      Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
      San Francisco State University
      San Francisco CA 94132 USA