Re: Fedora 9 hangs at login prompt

  • K.C. Ramakrishna
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1 9:28 PM
      >Fedora 9 hangs at login prompt
      >Help me fix this issue.

      >Thanks,
      >VijayKumar

      Thats funny, This shouldn't be happening. Can you add 'noapic nolapic' to the boot params - beside the "vmkernel.... ro quite" and let me know what happens? You can add these by editing the boot command by typing 'e' when the grub menu comes up.

      if that works, you will need to add this permanently in the menu.1st file. Odd but this kind of stuff is required only with AMD-64 processors.

      kc

    • Abhay Jaykar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1 11:00 PM
        Thats a new one !

        Never seen that before. However as KC suggessted you can try turning of the apic. However you can try running in single user mode and see if you get a prompt.

        While You Are Booting the Computer:
        1. When you first start your computer, the GRUB screen (where you choose your Operating System) appears. Select the Fedora that you want to boot into, but press the a key instead of pressing Enter.
        2. You will see a line somewhat like the following:
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on rhgb quiet
        Add the number of your runlevel to the end of that line, and then press Enter. For example, to boot into text-only mode, the line would look like:
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on rhgb quiet 3
        You will then boot into the new runlevel this time only.

        Ref: http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#runlevel

        Thanks & Regards
        Abhay Jaykar