Re: [TwinCLinG] Oracle installation

  • Muthu Kannan
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 24, 2007
      You can download installers from http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/index.html. Installers for all the versions (including enterprise edition) can be downloaded for free. You can install it on as many machines as you like. You can use it for educational purposes or for building prototypes. But you cannot use the database on a production setup. You will have to register at Oracle Developer Network (which is free) to be able to download.

      Hope this helps,
      Kannan

      Disclaimer: I am talking from my memory -- check the license before doing anything (including downloading, installing, using, etc.)

      note: i don't check this mailbox often. use my primary email address if it's urgent.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 24, 2007
        Installation on Linux is a bit tricky. I would suggest that a reasonably good Linux admin try it.
        There might be some errors which can be understood easily by admins/people who know shell scripting.
        Others may not understand some errors.

        I installed Oracle 8i on Redhat in 2003 - I don't know if it got easier since then.
        Attached is the documentation I made in 2003. (Yeah, I am a documentation fiend). Hope it helps.

        Go through the attached docs, my one and only recommendation is 'Follow the installation documentation religiously.' If you try to skip steps, it will haunt you. ;-)
        If this is a professional organisation, rknowsys can do it for you but we charge quite a bit. :-)

        regs,
        kc

        K. C. Ramakrishna
        rKnowsys Technologies
        www.rknowsys.com
        +91 98494-16664 (Cell)

      • Srinivas V
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 28, 2007
          Learn Basic stuff of Linux, and then Google the Ocean for "How to" + <<your topic>> here... That would get you to right things in fast...

          Enjoy..!!!

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 28, 2007
            Hello,
            First get to know what LINUX is all all about .
            See websites such as
            http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto
            http://www.tldp.org/guides.html

            Download those , read them thoroughly and try (play)
            on your PC and soon you will get to know the beauty of
            Linux . Do keep a bootable CD/floppy of Windows , just
            in case So happy linux-ing .

            Regards,
            Yasaswi Srinivas.

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • thejaswi_p_23
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 31, 2007
              --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, shilpa Linux <shilpa_linux1@...> wrote:

              > hi everybody
              >
              > can anyone let me know of any ebooks available for free download
              to learn unix commands
              > and shell scripting?

              Such questions have been asked innumerable times. I guess resources
              for a beginner must be placed on the Ilughyd Wiki
              (http://ilughyd.org.in/wiki/). This will reduce the redundant (and for
              some irritating) mails on the mailing list and benefit newbies. Any
              takers for this?

              --
              Cheers
              Thejaswi Puthraya