where can i get linux installed in my machine

  • shilpa Linux
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007
      HI All

      Can anyone please tell me any place / institute in Hyderabad where they install linux?
      i want linux and xp both for my machine at home, I have started learning linux, would like
      to have it installed at my home, but I dont know whom to ask and where to approach..

      Shilpa

    • Balaji Narayanan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007
        On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 04:20:23AM -0800, shilpa Linux wrote:
        >HI All
        >
        > Can anyone please tell me any place / institute in Hyderabad where they install linux?
        > i want linux and xp both for my machine at home, I have started learning linux, would like
        > to have it installed at my home, but I dont know whom to ask and where to approach..
        >
        > Shilpa

        Walkover to the next TwinCLinG group meeting and hopefully you can meet
        someone who will be able to help you install this yourself.

        Also most distro's can do this in a guided manner. However I would
        advise you to create an empty partition / leave unallocated part of the
        disk and use the guided installation.

        -balaji

        --
        http://balajin.net/blog

        You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night
        to write.
        -- Saul Bellow

      • Kunal Ghosh
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007
          Since you are learning Linux, it will be beneficial for you if you
          install it yourself. There are various tutorials on the net to install
          Linux in dual-boot mode (Linux and XP co-existing on the same HD). Get
          yourself the Linux variant you are currently familiar with. CDs will
          be available from some of the members of the lug. I can offer you
          Ubuntu CDs.
          If you learn to install it yourself, you will learn more than if you
          get it installed by someone.

          -- K.Ghosh
          -------------------------------
          Tel: 093 910 58 749
          SIP: 1-747-025-2812
          Mail: kghosh22@...
          Debian GNU/Linux user No.301508

          On Nov 11, 2007 5:50 PM, shilpa Linux <shilpa_linux1@...> wrote:

          > HI All
          >
          > Can anyone please tell me any place / institute in Hyderabad where they
          > install linux?
          > i want linux and xp both for my machine at home, I have started learning
          > linux, would like
          > to have it installed at my home, but I dont know whom to ask and where to
          > approach..
          >
          > Shilpa

        • srikrishna das
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007

            As Kunal said, self install to learn better .

            Just to add to his suggestion,
            1. please do take a backup of your data before install.
            2. Plan your partitions for future scalability (if you are not all-distro try type)

            If you plan to use ubuntu, you can burn my apt archives onto a CD/DVD at the next Twincling meet, will save your download time.

            --
            krish
            Kunal Ghosh <kghosh22@...> wrote: Since you are learning Linux, it will be beneficial for you if you
            install it yourself. There are various tutorials on the net to install
            Linux in dual-boot mode (Linux and XP co-existing on the same HD). Get
            yourself the Linux variant you are currently familiar with. CDs will
            be available from some of the members of the lug. I can offer you
            Ubuntu CDs.
            If you learn to install it yourself, you will learn more than if you
            get it installed by someone.

            -- K.Ghosh
            -------------------------------
            Tel: 093 910 58 749
            SIP: 1-747-025-2812
            Mail: kghosh22@...
            Debian GNU/Linux user No.301508

            On Nov 11, 2007 5:50 PM, shilpa Linux <shilpa_linux1@...> wrote:

            > HI All
            >
            > Can anyone please tell me any place / institute in Hyderabad where they
            > install linux?
            > i want linux and xp both for my machine at home, I have started learning
            > linux, would like
            > to have it installed at my home, but I dont know whom to ask and where to
            > approach..
            >
            > Shilpa

          • Srinivas V
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007
              Hi

              Lets try this link, If you are bit comfortable with Linux, then it would help you great in configuring a Dual Boot with XP and Ubuntu Linux.

              Ubuntu Linux is Available at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

              Hope you will get it work.. :)

              Thanks,
              ~Srinivasa.

              Can anyone please tell me any place / institute in Hyderabad where they install linux?
              i want linux and xp both for my machine at home, I have started learning linux, would like
              to have it installed at my home, but I dont know whom to ask and where to approach..

              Shilpa

              http://mail. yahoo.com

            • Sivaram Prasad Pulla
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007
                Since you are a newbie to linux, you might want to install it into a virtual
                machine (like virtual box, use your favourite search engine to search for
                its binary install for windows)

                This will let you play with linux (installation) as much as you want without
                affecting your windows installation. Once you become a little more
                comfortable with linux installation, you can make the decision yourself as
                to how you want to install/configure it.

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007
                  Hi Shilipa,

                  You better choose Red Hat linux for learning purpose, instead on UBuntu. I felt Red Hat is more preferred linux to for learning purpose.

                  Many people are available in market who will come to home & load Linux. You can search in DC classifieds.

                  Bye have a good time.

                  Ravi............................................................
                  "Choose who is near to your heart than you...."

                  Kunal Ghosh <kghosh22@gmail. com> wrote: Since you are learning Linux, it will be beneficial for you if you

                  install it yourself. There are various tutorials on the net to install

                  Linux in dual-boot mode (Linux and XP co-existing on the same HD). Get

                  yourself the Linux variant you are currently familiar with. CDs will

                  be available from some of the members of the lug. I can offer you

                  Ubuntu CDs.

                  If you learn to install it yourself, you will learn more than if you

                  get it installed by someone.

                  -- K.Ghosh

                  ------------ --------- --------- -

                  Tel: 093 910 58 749

                  SIP: 1-747-025-2812

                  Mail: kghosh22@gmail. com

                  On Nov 11, 2007 5:50 PM, shilpa Linux <shilpa_linux1@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                  > HI All

                  > Can anyone please tell me any place / institute in Hyderabad where they

                  > install linux?

                  > i want linux and xp both for my machine at home, I have started learning

                  > linux, would like

                  > to have it installed at my home, but I dont know whom to ask and where to

                  > approach..

                  > Shilpa

                  http://mail. yahoo.com

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mkp{
                  #ygrp-mkp hr{
                  border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                  #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                  #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                  margin-bottom:10px;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                  padding:0 0;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                  color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                  font-family:Arial;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                  margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                  #ygrp-text{
                  font-family:Georgia;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text p{
                  margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  font-family:Arial;
                  clear:both;}
                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  padding:0 1px;}
                  #ygrp-actbar{
                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-grft{
                  #ygrp-ft{
                  padding:5px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  padding-bottom:10px;}

                  #ygrp-vital{
                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                  padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-vital a{
                  text-decoration:none;}

                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}

                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  padding:8px 0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  text-decoration:none;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  margin:0;}
                  o{font-size:0;}
                  .MsoNormal{
                  margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  #ygrp-text tt{
                  font-size:120%;}
                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  .replbq{margin:4;}
                  -->

                • Ravi Kumar Tenneti
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007
                    Hi! Shilpa,

                    You can do one thing so that you can learn about other
                    technologies also.

                    If you are not comfortable with partitioning (rather
                    re partitioning without damaging your existing data),
                    I suggest

                    1. You download MS Virtual PC (Free for a change from
                    MS)

                    2. Get a hold of some Linux ISO image and copy it
                    completely as an ISO image to your d: or e: drive (may
                    be you can use Nero software to make a copy of
                    existing Linux Software as an ISO image on to your
                    hard drive.)

                    3. Start MS Virtual PC and create a new environment
                    and show where is your iso image.

                    4. This is very easy as Virtual PC guides you also, I
                    have been using close to 6 Linux distros like that on
                    my Notebook which is a Celeron 1.4GHz and loaded with
                    XP (Office given and I cannot repartition also because
                    of office restrictions)

                    I am quite happy to use the above setup.

                    Just to give you an idea, may be u can try puppy linux
                    which is very small for downloading and playing. You
                    can try downloading as an image and start in Virtual
                    PC

                    Please do let us know your experiences.

                    Hope you will learn fast and guide somebody.

                    Regards and all the best.

                    Ravi Kumar Tenneti

                    --- Sivaram Prasad Pulla <sivaram.prasad@...>

                    Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. To know how, go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html