Re: [TwinCLinG] Re: Cron job is not executing

  • Rajiv
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 7, 2007
      >Hi,
      >
      > I checked syslog.conf . It is in '/var/log/cron'
      >But I am not able to see any cron file in '/var/log/cron'

      Is syslogd running! atleast you should have a 0 byte file.

      -rajiv
    • mathewcos
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 7, 2007

        Yes syslogd is running. But I am not able to see any cron* file at
        '/var/log/. Initially some cron files where there. I deleted this.
        After that it is not creating.

        Regards,
        Mathew

        Regards,
        Mathew
        --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Rajiv <rajive@...> wrote:

        > >Hi,
        > >
        > > I checked syslog.conf . It is in '/var/log/cron'
        > >But I am not able to see any cron file in '/var/log/cron'
        >
        > Is syslogd running! atleast you should have a 0 byte file.
        >
        > -rajiv

      • mathewcos
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 7, 2007

          >* * * * * /root/list_of_files.sh

          >* */1 * * * /root/list_of_files.sh | wall

          Kindly explain the meaning of this.

          Regards,
          Mathew

          It is executing cron job every miniute.

          --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, "santosh kumar" <rhce.san@...> wrote:

          > Hi ,
          >
          > 1) run the mail command from the root user as i see you are setting
          it for
          > the root user.
          > 2) you will get some mails.
          >

          > 1) At what time or for how many times you need the to run the crron.
          > 2) * * * * * /root/list_of_files.sh is not set to any time so will
          not run.
          > try this
          >
          > 1) * */1 * * * /root/list_of_files.sh | wall , check with this and
          see if
          > you are getting any output.
          >
          > thanks.
          >

          > On 6/6/07, mathewcos < mathewcos@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com <ilughyd%40yahoogroups.com>,
          Rajiv
          > > <rajive@> wrote:

          > > > <snip>

          > > > you'll get email if there is something in stdout/error. crond
          logs
          > > will be in
          > > > /var/log/cron or /var/log/messages depending on where syslog is
          > > writing to.
          > > > Check your syslog.conf for the exact file
          > > >

          > > > -rajiv
          > > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I checked syslog.conf . It is in '/var/log/cron'
          > > But I am not able to see any cron file in '/var/log/cron'
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Mathew
          > >

          > --
          > D. Santosh Kumar
          > RedHat Certified Engineer
          > ph:9866501988
          > Email-Rhce.san@...
          >

          > Success does not come to you, you got to get it.

        • Rajiv
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 8, 2007
            mathewcos wrote on 06/07/07 at 13:09:24 -0000:
            >Hi,
            >
            > Yes syslogd is running. But I am not able to see any cron* file at
            >'/var/log/. Initially some cron files where there. I deleted this.
            >After that it is not creating.

            ha! It wont. You deleted a file to which as there is an open file handle

            check with lsof | grep /var/log/cron

            restart syslog, it should create a new one.