Re: [TwinCLinG] [Commercial]: LINUX For You welcomes your input

  • peekay
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      i raised this question once before with raj mathur, delhi lug
      as i was told by someone that what he says is what goes
      for indian linux users group

      raj responded that there is no intention to have any commonality
      between lugs spread over india ..

      from my experiences of several lugs spread over the country, i find
      that they all are very very different from each other .. and even trying
      to think of a unifomity to cover all the different kinds of 'owners' or
      'controlling persons' is a thing that cannot happen .. and so will not
      happen

      many lugs state that they work in tandem with the national lug .. but
      that is far from reality .. most lugs have their own kind of 'personality'

      unfortunate that something like linux and open source s/w is able to
      follow common foundation .. but indian lugs cannot

      i find that we are tooooo different .. and mostly toooo 'self respecting'
      to submit to any other person/group

      i guess like our cusine, we will all taste different .. yet feed the need
      for local groups .. for meeting the necessity of having 'flocking points'
      to get together for exchanges of ideas, messages, etc

      this may be the best way .. at the least, it prevents each from coming
      in the way of the other(s)

      ..peekay

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        On 01-May-07, at 12:55 PM, peekay wrote:

        > i guess like our cusine, we will all taste different .. yet feed
        > the need
        > for local groups .. for meeting the necessity of having 'flocking
        > points'
        > to get together for exchanges of ideas, messages, etc

        there *is* #linux-india on freenode, has about 50 members, evenly
        distributed all over India - except for central India and the North
        East. It is *the* gathering point for the Indian Lug community.

        kg
        http://lawgon.livejournal.com
        http://nrcfosshelpline.in/web/
      • peekay
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          come on kenneth .. india is a large country .. only 50 members
          cannot be enough for making it *THE* gathering point ..

          like local lugs, linux-india on freenode is also another 'gathering
          point' (i used "flocking point" .. not much different in sense really)

          as long as it is not being looked upon by indian linux users as
          a central organization to whose diktat, rulings, guidelines or
          even suggestions local lugs comply voluntarily, compulsorily
          or due to any other 'linkage', it cannot be called *THE*
          (one and only) central indian body for linux users from india

          i guess things are not what each local lug wants them to be
          (i think that they will not be so either .. we are toooo diverse
          to unify under ONE banner !)

          over to you .. this needs to be resolved/understood .. since
          this touches all lugs .. OR .. remain unresolved and open

          i don't have fixed notions on this any more ..

          ..peekay

          On 01-May-07, at 12:55 PM, peekay wrote:

          > i guess like our cusine, we will all taste different .. yet feed
          > the need
          > for local groups .. for meeting the necessity of having 'flocking
          > points'
          > to get together for exchanges of ideas, messages, etc

          there *is* #linux-india on freenode, has about 50 members, evenly
          distributed all over India - except for central India and the North
          East. It is *the* gathering point for the Indian Lug community.

          kg
          http://lawgon.livejournal.com
          http://nrcfosshelpline.in/web/

        • Kenneth Gonsalves
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2007
            On 01-May-07, at 2:44 PM, peekay wrote:

            > come on kenneth .. india is a large country .. only 50 members
            > cannot be enough for making it *THE* gathering point ..

            it is around 40-50 at a time - but total number of people visiting
            would be over a hundred. And i can safely say that most of the active
            luggers in India frequent the place.

            > like local lugs, linux-india on freenode is also another 'gathering
            > point' (i used "flocking point" .. not much different in sense really)

            the strength is in local lugs - but given that only 3 are really
            active, people from smaller places find #li a good place to meet.

            > as long as it is not being looked upon by indian linux users as
            > a central organization to whose diktat, rulings, guidelines or
            > even suggestions local lugs comply voluntarily, compulsorily
            > or due to any other 'linkage', it cannot be called *THE*
            > (one and only) central indian body for linux users from india

            there is no organisational structure, no diktats and rulings - but
            more and more it is becoming *the* focal point

            > i guess things are not what each local lug wants them to be
            > (i think that they will not be so either .. we are toooo diverse
            > to unify under ONE banner !)

            i agree - we will never be unified under one banner. The loose
            structure of #li is as far as we will get. But #li *is* functioning
            and a lot of local and pan-indian initiatives spring from it.

            > over to you .. this needs to be resolved/understood .. since
            > this touches all lugs .. OR .. remain unresolved and open
            >
            > i don't have fixed notions on this any more ..

            drop in and see for yourself