F1 on Ubuntu installation!

  • Gerald Sylvester
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2007
      Hi Experts!

      Q1 ) I am trying to install Ubuntu 5.04 onto my new DELL desktop..but I am unable to proceed as I keep getting this annoying message right after the first screen.

      I am able to install from the CD perfectly onto other machines (even older P3 DELL machines!). My wild guess is that this machine happens to have USB interfaces for both the keyboard and the mouse...does it have to do with the error message below?

      uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1 :host controller process error, something bad happened!
      uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1 :host controller halted, very bad!

      However, an install from an Ubuntu LTS Server 6.06 CD works well but I am left with the command prompt, I need the Ubuntu desktop.

      Q2) I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but have anyone tried installing open solaris? it fails to detect my inbuilt ethernet card. Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks!
      Gerard

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2007
        Gerald Sylvester wrote:

        > Q1 ) I am trying to install Ubuntu 5.04 onto my new DELL desktop..but I am unable to proceed as I keep getting this annoying message right after the first screen.

        5.04 / hoary is old. Get an edgy cd and install it

        srs
      • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2007
          On 07/03/14 08:33 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian said ...
          > Gerald Sylvester wrote:
          >
          > > Q1 ) I am trying to install Ubuntu 5.04 onto my new DELL
          > > desktop..but I am unable to proceed as I keep getting this annoying
          > > message right after the first screen.
          >
          > 5.04 / hoary is old. Get an edgy cd and install it

          Or maybe install Dapper. A lot of people seem to like it better than
          Edgy because Edgy seems to be a little unstable.

          Giridhar

          --
          Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2007
            Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
            > Or maybe install Dapper. A lot of people seem to like it better than
            > Edgy because Edgy seems to be a little unstable.

            I've been running edgy for quite some time, on my laptop and a cut-down
            version of edgy on my server (because edgy ships with the broadcom tg3
            gigabit ethernet drivers my server has, dapper unfortunately doesnt)

            The only thing I hate about it (and about debian) right now, I guess
            isn't my usual pet peeves of debconf etc [whatever key stuff i need, I
            configure by hand, debconf isnt getting its hands on my exim or apache
            configs]

            It is actually this silly insistence of bundling openssl in pool/main
            and then compiling exim, apache etc with @%$^%%#^ gnutls because of
            "license issues".

            Even though gnutls has serious issues with eating entropy like crazy ..
            and 2.6 kernels dont gather entropy from the network due to security
            issues, only from keyboard / mouse etc input. Having your box's entropy
            (as seen in /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail) drop to 7, 8 etc, and
            then having ssl connections to exim and apache start to block overnight
            sucks BAD.

            The debian faq for the exim4 package then basically says - yes we know
            we have issues, debian and upstream are in dire need of people with clue
            enough to fix gnutls, but "you should consult your lawyer before
            building exim debs with openssl".

            <http://wiki.debian.org/PkgExim4UserFAQ#head-5d5b525ab6c432c28f6f083d2967bec703afc7c5>

            Grr.

            --
            Suresh Ramasubramanian | suresh@... | gpg EDEDEFB9
            email sturmbahnfuehrer | lower middle class unix sysadmin