Query

  • papisetti shasi kala
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2006
      hi,
      can anybody please help me in solving my problem.I have downloaded linux 2.6.12.tar.gz kernel file and tried to install it on my sytem.i did a make and then make install here i encountered a problem /lib/modules/2.6.12 is not available. so i made mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.12 n made a make install again.now i got it.but when i typed the command uname -r i could int see my kerenel 2.6.12 only the previous one 2.6.11-FC4 is there.
      Also i tried to insert a module using command
      make -C /lib/modules/2.6.12 SUBDIRS=`pwd`
      then it reported an error
      make: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.12'
      make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
      make: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.12'

      Any body please help me

    • Suman Karumuri
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2006
        On 10/1/06, papisetti shasi kala <shasi_ice@...> wrote:
        > hi,
        > can anybody please help me in solving my problem.I have downloaded linux 2.6.12.tar.gz kernel file and tried to install it on my sytem.i did a make and then make install here i encountered a problem /lib/modules/2.6.12 is not available. so i made mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.12 n made a make install again.now i got it.but when i typed the command uname -r i could int see my kerenel 2.6.12 only the previous one 2.6.11-FC4 is there.

        I think you are compiling the kernel the wrong way. Did you do a make
        install after doing make dep etc..? If you are getting strange errors,
        the best way is to start from scratch, while following a tutorial
        online.

        -Suman
      • Sivaram
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 3, 2006
          On 10/1/06, Suman Karumuri <mansuk@...> wrote:

          > On 10/1/06, papisetti shasi kala <shasi_ice@...> wrote:
          > > hi,
          > > can anybody please help me in solving my problem.I have downloaded linux 2.6.12.tar.gz kernel file and tried to install it on my sytem.i did a make and then make install here i encountered a problem /lib/modules/2.6.12 is not available. so i made mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.12 n made a make install again.now i got it.but when i typed the command uname -r i could int see my kerenel 2.6.12 only the previous one 2.6.11-FC4 is there.
          >
          > I think you are compiling the kernel the wrong way. Did you do a make
          > install after doing make dep etc..? If you are getting strange errors,
          > the best way is to start from scratch, while following a tutorial
          > online.
          >
          > -Suman

          Might seem a little silly to ask this, but did you modify your boot
          loader and reboot the system selecting the new kernel?
          BTW IIRC 2.6 kernels dont need make dep.
        • sainath
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 5, 2006

            After `make` u have to issue a `make modules` command which will
            build all loadable modules and copy them to /lib/modules/2.6.12
            directory. after that create kernel image and copy it to boot
            directory and edit boot loader configuration file, u r done.

            --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, Sivaram <sivaramprasadp@...> wrote:

            > On 10/1/06, Suman Karumuri <mansuk@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > On 10/1/06, papisetti shasi kala <shasi_ice@...> wrote:
            > > > hi,
            > > > can anybody please help me in solving my problem.I have
            downloaded linux 2.6.12.tar.gz kernel file and tried to install it on
            my sytem.i did a make and then make install here i encountered a
            problem /lib/modules/2.6.12 is not available. so i made mkdir
            /lib/modules/2.6.12 n made a make install again.now i got it.but when
            i typed the command uname -r i could int see my kerenel 2.6.12 only
            the previous one 2.6.11-FC4 is there.

            > > I think you are compiling the kernel the wrong way. Did you do a make
            > > install after doing make dep etc..? If you are getting strange errors,
            > > the best way is to start from scratch, while following a tutorial
            > > online.
            > >
            > > -Suman
            >
            > Might seem a little silly to ask this, but did you modify your boot
            > loader and reboot the system selecting the new kernel?
            > BTW IIRC 2.6 kernels dont need make dep.

          • Sarath
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 18, 2007
              Hello this is Sarath

              I had been installed suse linux v9.0, the linux was installed successfully.. but my problem was retrvived when i was terminated the system with shuting down, due to linux was structed at that moment, so i directly terminated the system, and i retrived a problem when ever i switched on my system, i.e

              GRUB Loading stage 1.5,

              GRUD Loading, please wait....... Error 18

              just these is the message, it is displaying, Can i know what was the problem?

              And one more, how should conflict the internet connection??

            • Bipin Om Upadhyay
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 18, 2007
                > I had been installed suse linux v9.0, the linux
                was installed successfully.. but my problem was retrvived when i was
                terminated the system with shuting down, due to linux was structed at
                that moment, so i directly terminated the system, and i retrived a
                problem when ever i switched on my system, i.e

                > GRUB Loading stage 1.5,
                >
                > GRUD Loading, please wait....... Error 18
                >
                > just these is the message, it is displaying, Can i know what was
                the problem?

                Hi Sarath,
                What I could understand was that you turned off your system directly
                by turning off the power (or hitting the shut down button or something
                similar); and now you are not able to boot into your system.
                Error 18 means that somehow your partition is corrupted, and your grub
                is not able to locate the kernel. [Error 18 basically means that the
                selected cylinder is exceeding the maximum supported limit by BIOS.]
                There can be several ways to fix it:
                1. Try booting with your a live cd and edit "/boot/grub/menu.lst"
                2. Boot the system using your cd and change grub to lilo (Yast2 ->
                System -> Bootloader configuration) [source:
                http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofiversion/index.php/t3491.html%5d
                3. Wait for other responses. If nothing works, re-install SUSE.

                > And one more, how should conflict the internet connection??

                If your asking about configuring internet connection, it depends on
                what service you are using [dial-up, RIM, cable connection etc.]
                However, you can refer this link for overall networking info.
                http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Networking

                Regards,
                Bipin "Om" Upadhyay.
                ----------------------
                http://code-in-my-bug.blogspot.com
                http://projectbee.blogspot.com
              • h.godavari
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 25, 2010
                  What is involved in producing a Linux version running in a system with
                  32 MB of RAM and 500MB of harddisk space? There are a couple of distros
                  (Luit Linux & Feather but they do have some limitations apart from being
                  discontinued). Anybody game ?

                  regards
                  hg
                • Kunal Ghosh
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 25, 2010
                    Used to run Knoppix 3.1 on my 386 with 32MB RAM and 4.7GB HDD, dual booting
                    with Windows 98/ME (That was ages ago ????)

                    You may look at
                    http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/8-of-the-best-tiny-linux-distros-683552

                    -- HTH,
                    --K.Ghosh
                    -------------------------------
                    Mail: kghosh22@...
                    Skype: kunal.ghosh4
                    Debian GNU/Linux user No.301508

                    On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM, h.godavari <h.godavari@...> wrote:

                    > What is involved in producing a Linux version running in a system with
                    > 32 MB of RAM and 500MB of harddisk space? There are a couple of distros
                    > (Luit Linux & Feather but they do have some limitations apart from being
                    > discontinued). Anybody game ?
                    >
                    > regards
                    > hg

                  • satyaakam goswami
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 25, 2010
                      On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM, h.godavari <h.godavari@...> wrote:

                      > What is involved in producing a Linux version running in a system with
                      > 32 MB of RAM and 500MB of harddisk space? There are a couple of distros
                      > (Luit Linux & Feather but they do have some limitations apart from being
                      > discontinued). Anybody game ?

                      go for vector linux , you have not mentioned what is the processor ? i was
                      able to crank one old 386 with 16MB Ram way back in 2002-2003.

                      -Satya

                    • h.godavari
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 26, 2010
                        Thank you for the URL. BTW I am trying resurrect an old 486. I have
                        tried those before unsuccessfully. (except DSL and may be one other
                        which did not like the video-card). They require either a lot more
                        memory or horse power or both and a lot more disk space. Their claim to
                        "small" only refers, essentially, to the size of the iso not the
                        requirements of CPU/RAM/HD space :-( Some expect specific commands like
                        CMOV, PAE,Cx8 etc in the CPU..

                        BTW how did you manage to get your 386 to recognise a 4.7GB hd? I have
                        to run an overlay to be able to use anything more than the first 500MB.

                        Regards
                        hg

                        Kunal Ghosh wrote:
                        > Used to run Knoppix 3.1 on my 386 with 32MB RAM and 4.7GB HDD, dual booting
                        > with Windows 98/ME (That was ages ago ????)
                        >
                        > You may look at
                        > http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/8-of-the-best-tiny-linux-distros-683552
                        >

                        > -- HTH,
                        > --K.Ghosh
                        > -------------------------------
                        > Mail: kghosh22@...
                        > Skype: kunal.ghosh4
                        > Debian GNU/Linux user No.301508
                        >
                        > On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM, h.godavari <h.godavari@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> What is involved in producing a Linux version running in a system with
                        >> 32 MB of RAM and 500MB of harddisk space? There are a couple of distros
                        >> (Luit Linux & Feather but they do have some limitations apart from being
                        >> discontinued). Anybody game ?
                        >>
                        >> regards
                        >> hg

                      • h.godavari
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 26, 2010
                          satyaakam goswami wrote:

                          > On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM, h.godavari <h.godavari@...
                          > <mailto:h.godavari%40shaw.ca>> wrote:
                          >
                          > > What is involved in producing a Linux version running in a system with
                          > > 32 MB of RAM and 500MB of harddisk space? There are a couple of distros
                          > > (Luit Linux & Feather but they do have some limitations apart from being
                          > > discontinued). Anybody game ?
                          > >

                          > go for vector linux , you have not mentioned what is the processor ? i was
                          > able to crank one old 386 with 16MB Ram way back in 2002-2003.
                          >
                          > -Satya
                          >
                          > Thanks for your suggestion Vector has grown considerably since the
                          > early days bot in physical size and system requirements.

                          I am trying to resurrect an AMD 486/33 on a Chicone MoBo .It uses 30
                          pin FP RAM in 8 slots. I have only 4MB pieces.(Most of the 486s that I
                          saw came with 8MB RAM) The mother board does not recognise HDs larger
                          then 500MB.I use EasyDrive overlay (The HD is an 850MB Maxtor).

                          These old machines do serve adequately the needs of a large number of
                          people yet , they (the machines and sometimes even people) are causually
                          discarded because more is available for less ( I paid $500.00 for a 30MB
                          RLLed Microscience hard drive and yesterday 1.0TB haddrive is on sale
                          for $59.00!).

                          I was hoping some ILUGHYD members might want to use their talent to
                          produce a small (physically & in SYS Req) and resusticate those oldsters.

                          May be there should be a minor competition :-)
                          regards
                          hg

                        • satyaakam goswami
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 26, 2010

                            > > Thanks for your suggestion Vector has grown considerably since the
                            > > early days bot in physical size and system requirements.
                            > >
                            > I am trying to resurrect an AMD 486/33 on a Chicone MoBo .It uses 30
                            > pin FP RAM in 8 slots. I have only 4MB pieces.(Most of the 486s that I
                            > saw came with 8MB RAM) The mother board does not recognise HDs larger
                            > then 500MB.I use EasyDrive overlay (The HD is an 850MB Maxtor).
                            >
                            > These old machines do serve adequately the needs of a large number of
                            > people yet , they (the machines and sometimes even people) are causually
                            > discarded because more is available for less ( I paid $500.00 for a 30MB
                            > RLLed Microscience hard drive and yesterday 1.0TB haddrive is on sale
                            > for $59.00!).
                            >
                            > I was hoping some ILUGHYD members might want to use their talent to
                            > produce a small (physically & in SYS Req) and resusticate those oldsters.
                            >
                            > May be there should be a minor competition :-)

                            thanks but no thanks for bait :-) , i will visiting Nehru place this
                            afternoon do you need more of those stuff , i see tons of them lying around
                            here .

                            -Satya

                          • h.godavari
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 27, 2010
                              satyaakam goswami wrote:

                              > > I was hoping some ILUGHYD members might want to use their talent to
                              > > produce a small (physically & in SYS Req) and resusticate those
                              > oldsters.
                              > >
                              > > May be there should be a minor competition :-)
                              >
                              > thanks but no thanks for bait :-) , i will visiting Nehru place this
                              > afternoon do you need more of those stuff , i see tons of them lying
                              > around
                              > here .
                              >
                              > -Satya

                              Ahh shucks another one that got away....:-(

                              "NEHRU PLACE" isn't that the place mothers warn children about? I
                              thought it was feature of New Delhi. Is there one in H.bad?

                              Regards
                              hg
                            • Yoganandam Goteti
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 27, 2010
                                On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 08:12 -0600, h.godavari wrote:

                                > satyaakam goswami wrote:
                                > >

                                > > > I was hoping some ILUGHYD members might want to use their talent
                                > > > produce a small (physically & in SYS Req) and resusticate those
                                > > oldsters.
                                > > >
                                > > > May be there should be a minor competition :-)
                                > >
                                > > thanks but no thanks for bait :-) , i will visiting Nehru place this
                                > > afternoon do you need more of those stuff , i see tons of them
                                > lying
                                > > around
                                > > here .
                                > >
                                > > -Satya
                                > >
                                > Ahh shucks another one that got away....:-(
                                >
                                > "NEHRU PLACE" isn't that the place mothers warn children about? I
                                > thought it was feature of New Delhi. Is there one in H.bad?
                                CTC on Park Lane Secunderabad .... is where one can find all he /she
                                wants...
                                GY
                                > Regards
                                > hg

                              • h.godavari
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 27, 2010
                                  Yoganandam Goteti wrote:

                                  > On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 08:12 -0600, h.godavari wrote:
                                  > > Ahh shucks another one that got away....:-(
                                  > >
                                  > > "NEHRU PLACE" isn't that the place mothers warn children about? I
                                  > > thought it was feature of New Delhi. Is there one in H.bad?
                                  > CTC on Park Lane Secunderabad .... is where one can find all he /she
                                  > wants...
                                  > GY
                                  > > Regards
                                  > > hg

                                  Ah ! Yes of course...Chennai Trade Centre...BTW why do they call it
                                  Chennai something in Secbad?

                                  Regards
                                  hg
                                • Yoganandam Goteti
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 27, 2010
                                    On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 11:59 -0600, h.godavari wrote:

                                    > Yoganandam Goteti wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 08:12 -0600, h.godavari wrote:
                                    > > > Ahh shucks another one that got away....:-(
                                    > > >
                                    > > > "NEHRU PLACE" isn't that the place mothers warn children about? I
                                    > > > thought it was feature of New Delhi. Is there one in H.bad?
                                    > > CTC on Park Lane Secunderabad .... is where one can find all he /she
                                    > > wants...
                                    > > GY
                                    > > > Regards
                                    > > > hg
                                    > > >

                                    > Ah ! Yes of course...Chennai Trade Centre...BTW why do they call it
                                    > Chennai something in Secbad?

                                    is NOT CHENNAI it is CHENOY
                                    GY
                                    > Regards
                                    > hg

                                  • h.godavari
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 27, 2010
                                      Yoganandam Goteti wrote:

                                      > On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 11:59 -0600, h.godavari wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Yoganandam Goteti wrote:

                                      > > Ah ! Yes of course...Chennai Trade Centre...BTW why do they call it
                                      > > Chennai something in Secbad?
                                      >
                                      > is NOT CHENNAI it is CHENOY
                                      > GY
                                      > > Regards
                                      > > hg

                                      Yes of course. One of the other messages had the correct spelling and I
                                      realised that I had goofed. I guess we live and learn.

                                      regards
                                      hg