Re: [TwinCLinG] Help me to learn LINUX and OpenSource

  • nipra
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2006
      Hi,

      On 6/16/06, SASI KANTH <kotti_sasikanth17@...> wrote:
      > Dear Members of LUG
      >
      > I am Sasikanth and I had majored in Electronics and communications engineering.I am interested to learn Linux and experiment with it in different fields like embedded systems,data bases and graphics.But I dont know any thing about Open source and Linux.So I request any one of you to guide me to learn Linux i.e please send me the different resources from which I can get information regarding Linux.Eagerly waiting for your reply.

      May I suggest you these wonderful resources:

      http://www.gnoppix.org/pages/rute/
      www.tldp.org
      http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

      And if you are interested in offline browsing of "Rute User's Tutorial
      and Exposition" then download it here:

      http://nipra.be/Administration_General/LINUX-Rute.tar.bz2

      Regards
      Nikhil Prabhakar
    • Neelala Ram
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
        hi sasi

        www.tldp.org go thru this site hope this could help u a lot

        rgards Ram

        On 6/17/06, SASI KANTH <kotti_sasikanth17@...> wrote:

        > Dear Members of LUG
        >
        > I am Sasikanth and I had majored in Electronics and communications
        > engineering.I am interested to learn Linux and experiment with it in
        > different fields like embedded systems,data bases and graphics.But I dont
        > know any thing about Open source and Linux.So I request any one of you to
        > guide me to learn Linux i.e please send me the different resources from
        > which I can get information regarding Linux.Eagerly waiting for your
        > reply.
        >

        > Thankingyou,
        > Sasikanth.

      • K.C. Ramakrishna
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
          Hi all newbies,

          I am posting this to the forum so that more of you can
          read this. I will post some steps for you get familira
          with Linux.

          1. Install Linux on your PC. Before that do get to
          know the motherboard/Graphics card/Network card/modem
          you are using.
          2. I recommend RedHat/Fedora as it has a bigger
          community and you fill find more people to help you.
          You can try out other distros as you go along. (I
          assume you are interested in tech stuff like
          servers/programing. People not interested in tech
          stuff but just want a comp for other work like
          browsing/multimedia/email and documentation may look
          at Ubuntu/Mandriva/Suse - RedHat is fine too but the
          others are more graphic intensive.)
          3. Try the KDE desktop - it is closer to Windoz in
          look/feel.
          4. As was mentioned in the earlier mail, tldp is a
          good place for newbies as is linuxnewbie.org. Do visit
          linuxtoday.com daily.
          5. Try compiling a few 'C' programs. It will help you
          installing programs from source code. (Only for the
          tech oriented.) (Book - Kernighan and Ritchie of
          course)
          6. Buy a decent Linux book. Lots available in any
          decent book shop. here again you have more books for
          RedHat/Fedora.
          7. I really recommend 'The Unix Programming
          Environment' by "Kernighan and Pike" for the tech
          inclined. It is a very elegant intro to the features
          of Linux/Unix. Must read for anybody seriously
          interested in using the power feature of Linux - The
          SHELL ;-).
          8. Connecting your PC to the net is vital. Try to do
          ASAP.
          9. Try to get yum setup (on RedHat/Fedora) and visit
          livna.org.
          10. Pray and obey the Google God.
          11. Keep posting more on forums like these and don't
          get ticked off if some eccentric genius flames you.
          (not that all of them do but there will be some who
          will.)
          12. The learning curve will be steep in the beginning
          - so do not feel disheartened if it is hard in the
          initial stages. Once you have Linux installed, realise
          that it is extremely powerful and you can really
          become quite good as you go along. You can all kinds
          of magical stuff and host your own
          server(web/ftp/music/video and lots more) from home.

          Happy learning,
          kc

          K. C. Ramakrishna
          rKnowsys Technologies