Re: [TwinCLinG] Help me to learn LINUX and OpenSource

  • Y Giridhar Appaji Nag
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2006
      On 06/06/17 04:04 +0100, SASI KANTH said ...

      > engineering.I am interested to learn Linux and experiment with it in
      > different fields like embedded systems,data bases and graphics.But I

      Get a Linux CD from someone, install Linux on your computer and start
      using it for whatever you do. For basic problems that you face, search
      around the net first and post specific problems to the list. Very soon
      you'll get used to things and learn things automagically :)

      Giridhar

      --
      Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/
    • nipra
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2006

        On 6/16/06, SASI KANTH <kotti_sasikanth17@...> wrote:
        > Dear Members of LUG
        >
        > I am Sasikanth and I had majored in Electronics and communications engineering.I am interested to learn Linux and experiment with it in different fields like embedded systems,data bases and graphics.But I dont know any thing about Open source and Linux.So I request any one of you to guide me to learn Linux i.e please send me the different resources from which I can get information regarding Linux.Eagerly waiting for your reply.

        May I suggest you these wonderful resources:

        http://www.gnoppix.org/pages/rute/
        www.tldp.org
        http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

        And if you are interested in offline browsing of "Rute User's Tutorial
        and Exposition" then download it here:

        http://nipra.be/Administration_General/LINUX-Rute.tar.bz2

        Regards
        Nikhil Prabhakar
      • Neelala Ram
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
          hi sasi

          www.tldp.org go thru this site hope this could help u a lot

          rgards Ram

          On 6/17/06, SASI KANTH <kotti_sasikanth17@...> wrote:

          > Dear Members of LUG
          >
          > I am Sasikanth and I had majored in Electronics and communications
          > engineering.I am interested to learn Linux and experiment with it in
          > different fields like embedded systems,data bases and graphics.But I dont
          > know any thing about Open source and Linux.So I request any one of you to
          > guide me to learn Linux i.e please send me the different resources from
          > which I can get information regarding Linux.Eagerly waiting for your
          > reply.
          >

          > Thankingyou,
          > Sasikanth.

        • K.C. Ramakrishna
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
            Hi all newbies,

            I am posting this to the forum so that more of you can
            read this. I will post some steps for you get familira
            with Linux.

            1. Install Linux on your PC. Before that do get to
            know the motherboard/Graphics card/Network card/modem
            you are using.
            2. I recommend RedHat/Fedora as it has a bigger
            community and you fill find more people to help you.
            You can try out other distros as you go along. (I
            assume you are interested in tech stuff like
            servers/programing. People not interested in tech
            stuff but just want a comp for other work like
            browsing/multimedia/email and documentation may look
            at Ubuntu/Mandriva/Suse - RedHat is fine too but the
            others are more graphic intensive.)
            3. Try the KDE desktop - it is closer to Windoz in
            look/feel.
            4. As was mentioned in the earlier mail, tldp is a
            good place for newbies as is linuxnewbie.org. Do visit
            linuxtoday.com daily.
            5. Try compiling a few 'C' programs. It will help you
            installing programs from source code. (Only for the
            tech oriented.) (Book - Kernighan and Ritchie of
            course)
            6. Buy a decent Linux book. Lots available in any
            decent book shop. here again you have more books for
            RedHat/Fedora.
            7. I really recommend 'The Unix Programming
            Environment' by "Kernighan and Pike" for the tech
            inclined. It is a very elegant intro to the features
            of Linux/Unix. Must read for anybody seriously
            interested in using the power feature of Linux - The
            SHELL ;-).
            8. Connecting your PC to the net is vital. Try to do
            ASAP.
            9. Try to get yum setup (on RedHat/Fedora) and visit
            livna.org.
            10. Pray and obey the Google God.
            11. Keep posting more on forums like these and don't
            get ticked off if some eccentric genius flames you.
            (not that all of them do but there will be some who
            will.)
            12. The learning curve will be steep in the beginning
            - so do not feel disheartened if it is hard in the
            initial stages. Once you have Linux installed, realise
            that it is extremely powerful and you can really
            become quite good as you go along. You can all kinds
            of magical stuff and host your own
            server(web/ftp/music/video and lots more) from home.

            Happy learning,
            kc

            K. C. Ramakrishna
            rKnowsys Technologies