Re: Re: [TwinCLinG] sound card

  • zeevy
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2006

      On Mon, 29 May 2006 Sivaram wrote :
      >On 5/27/06, zeevy <zeevy@...> wrote:
      > > hai friends,
      > > how to make my sound card full duplex
      > > ie i wanto play xmms and mplayer both at a time as like in windows
      > > I have RHL9 box with kernel 2.4
      > > waiting for your replay
      > > thanking you
      > >

      > > gv
      >
      >I dont know the exact answer, but i can tell that you are searching
      >with the wrong terminology. AFAIK, full duplex means that transmission
      >can happen in both directions, i.e. it can send sound out through
      >speakers and take sound in through mic at the same time, for example
      >while making voice call using yahoo messenger/gtalk/etc. All the sound
      >cards today should support full duplex mode.
      >
      >sivaram

      sorry i have gone out of station,
      friends my problem is xmms and mplayer are not working at the same time
      giving error message like "device busy".
      When I am playing music using mplayer in console and at the same time i am unable to use "record" command to catch the line in for recording, it gives the same message "device busy".
      My question is that how two programs can use the same sound card at same time.

      gv.
      ------>

    • kalyan chakrawarthy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
        most of the sound cards did not support hardware mixing .So we had to use arts or dmix for software mixing. Alsa >1.0.10 got dmix included, so get the latest alsa drivers and install them.

        > > ie i wanto play xmms and mplayer both at a time as like in windows
        > > I have RHL9 box with kernel 2.4
        > > waiting for your replay
        > > thanking you
        > >

        > > gv
        >
        >I dont know the exact answer, but i can tell that you are searching
        >with the wrong terminology. AFAIK, full duplex means that transmission
        >can happen in both directions, i.e. it can send sound out through
        >speakers and take sound in through mic at the same time, for example
        >while making voice call using yahoo messenger/gtalk/etc. All the sound
        >cards today should support full duplex mode.
        >
        >sivaram

        sorry i have gone out of station,
        friends my problem is xmms and mplayer are not working at the same time
        giving error message like "device busy".
        When I am playing music using mplayer in console and at the same time i am unable to use "record" command to catch the line in for recording, it gives the same message "device busy".
        My question is that how two programs can use the same sound card at same time.

        gv.
        ------>

        Visit your group "ilughyd" on the web.