Internet, tech skills growing quietly in Goa...

  • Frederick Noronha (FN)
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 3:26 AM
      INTERNET, TECH SKILLS GROWING QUIETLY IN GOA

      PANJIM, April 30: Goa's BSNL internet service provider is
      already providing some 3000 broadband connections in the
      state, and roughly another 24,000 people dial-up to get
      access the Net using this central government-run service.

      These figures emerged during an informal discussion at the
      monthly meeting of the India Linux Users Group (Goa), a
      network promoting Free Software and Open Source in the state.

      ILUG-Goa, which holds its meetings usually on the fourth
      Saturday of each month at the Goa Science Centre at Miramar,
      sees a range of tech issues -- usually directly related to
      Free Software and Open Source in Goa.

      During it's meet on April 29, a range of issues came up for
      discussion, from how to partition your hard-disk (to install
      GNU/Linux side-by-side with Windows), to software tools to
      ehance productivity, and various internet and broadband
      options available to users in diverse parts of Goa.

      For instance, there are some useful Free Software tools to
      monitor your bandwidth usage on BSNL's broadband. One such
      tool is available for free download at
      http://tinyurl.com/qgu9p

      Called the Data One Broadband Statistics, this is a
      screen-scraper written using Perl to download usage
      statistics of BSNL's Data One
      (www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone.htm) broadband service and
      total it.

      Generally, BSNL (www.bsnl.co.in) allows only the
      Microsoft-based IE and has no monthly total. But trust Indian
      software talent to find a work-around. This solution comes
      from the Free Software/Open Source network in Chennai.

      Meanwhile, the Goa free software network stays connected and
      announces its event via http://iluggoaannounce.notlong.com
      There are no fees for joining, all are welcome, and
      encouraged to form parallel user-groups in diverse parts of
      the state.

      Meanwhile, the Fedora Core 5 Free Software distribution has
      just become available on DVD in Goa. Number of foreign
      magazines are also available. Members of ILUG-Goa such as
      engineer Bijon Shaha and software pro Arvind Yadav gave
      diverse views on techies-only distros like 'Gentoo'.

      Debopriyo 'DP' Sarkar pointed to a 'mindmap' of various Free
      Software distributions or 'distros' available, which was
      illustrated at linuxhelp.blogspot.com

      Earlier, there was a brief presentation on FreeMind.

      FreeMind is a premier free mind-mapping software written in
      Java. It has the potential of playing the role of a high
      productivity tool. Operation and navigation of FreeMind is
      faster because of one-click "fold/unfold" and "follow link"
      operations.

      Other members raised a range of issues -- from how to get
      started in GNU/Linux, to playing around with tools like
      StumbleUpon, and how to encourage Free Software usage in
      schools and educational institutions.

      Remy Furtado of Rosary College, Navelim expressed an interest
      in working on the Free Software tool Moodle, ideal for
      distance education, as the Goa University moves to a pattern
      of semisterisation. Goa Engineering College's Prof George
      Easaw has done work on this platform, as have others.

      Reacting unofficially, BSNL officials said Goa now had six
      STMS 155 MBps connectivity, which was resulting in a speedy
      expansion of broadband to many parts of the state.

      But for broadband facilities to become available in village
      areas, at least 60 subscribers were needed to make operations
      viable.

      So far, broadband from BSNL is available in a growing number
      of areas in Goa: Panjim, Vasco (except Cortalim, but
      including Sada, Mangor, Bogmalo, Sancoale and other areas),
      Ponda, Bambolim, Merces, Dona Paula, Porvorim, Mapusa town,
      Calangute-Candolim, and Saligao, among others.

      Equipment has already been installed in Aldona exchange, and
      broadband facilities are expected to go functional

      , ,
      / \ .-. * SOFTWARE
      ((__-^^-,-^^-__)) (. .) * FREEDOM
      `-_---' `---_-' / V \ * SHARING
      `--|o` 'o|--' // \\
      \ ` / /( )\ KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
      ): :( '.^^_^^.' SHARE IT EQUITABLY
      :o_o: \_/ \_/
      "-"
    • Frederick Noronha (FN)

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30 7:34 PM
          --- In ilughyd@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Noronha (FN)" <fred@...> wrote:

          > INTERNET, TECH SKILLS GROWING QUIETLY IN GOA
          >

          > For instance, there are some useful Free Software tools to
          > monitor your bandwidth usage on BSNL's broadband. One such
          > tool is available for free download at
          > http://tinyurl.com/qgu9p
          >
          > Called the Data One Broadband Statistics, this is a
          > screen-scraper written using Perl to download usage
          > statistics of BSNL's Data One
          > (www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone.htm) broadband service and
          > total it.

          Thanks FN.